mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG sounds Vs ES stock sounds"

Posted on: June 26, 2009 @ 10:00 PM
Total Posts:  60
Joined  12-08-2006

I have a feeling this has been asked before but, Are the sounds from these PLG’s any better than what is already in the ES. ES stands for Extended Sound doesn’t it? The technology in the PLG is a few years old already. Are some of the current stock sounds in an ES taken from the PLG boards. I own the VL and LOVE it. But the Piano, FM, Analog, Drums… ????
Worth the moola ??  Thanks for any input

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 02:21 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

ES = Expanded System (@Bert).

I got the AN and DX.

Some of their voices are completely different from the ES and some are just better.

Old? I wish I had an original MOOG from 1968 ...................

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2009 @ 01:25 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I think you’ll find the ES AWM2 voices equal or superior to those on the PF, DR and PC cards. The main reason to use them is you need the extra polyphony they add (32 voices each).

The AN, DX and VL cards all use different types of synthesis engines than the ES so they can make sounds that are completely different although you may not find those sounds interesting or useful. Have you listened to the demos at the Motifator store? The AN board is useful if you need lots of vintage analog sounds, the DX if you need DX7 sounds.

The PLG150AP piano is worth having if you’re a pianist and can use the extra polyphony (64 voices) it gives you. Opinions on whether it sounds better than the ES factory pianos are mixed, it depends on your taste in pianos. Again, check out the demos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2009 @ 10:10 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

It really depends on WHICH PLG you’re talking about.

There’s no way to compare the ES stock sounds with those attainable from the PLG150-VL.  They’re entirely different beasts.

Just remember, a PLG is NOT a library of “sounds.” It’s an entirely different synth, with its own effects, its own memory, etc. etc.  It’s like you’re bolting an entirely different tone generator into a Mother Ship, and just using the Mother Ship to control it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2009 @ 07:12 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
6281 - 26 June 2009 10:00 PM

I have a feeling this has been asked before but, Are the sounds from these PLG’s any better than what is already in the ES. ES stands for Extended Sound doesn’t it? The technology in the PLG is a few years old already. Are some of the current stock sounds in an ES taken from the PLG boards. I own the VL and LOVE it. But the Piano, FM, Analog, Drums… ????
Worth the moola ??  Thanks for any input

I’ve filled all slots my ES (VL, AN and DX). Yes, you could find some nice DX pianos on ES, but DX is completely different synth technology (FM versus AMW2 sampling). On AN you could also find some analog sounds that are amazing. And what about VL with BC3? I don’t know how some playing effect of sax with VL+BC3 could be produced on sample based synthesis, even expanded articulation?
To conclude, I have three additional synth modules and don’t need additional space for rack tone generators. Maybe those technology is now old, but you should listen Jean Michael Jarre playing on 50 (fifty!) pure analog synths with three colegues on concert in November 2008!! Without computers, sequencers, etc. See attached photos. Thanks to the mirror mounted on the ceiling, all equipment and keyboard players could be seen.

Alex

Image Attachments
Jarre1.jpgJarre2.jpgJarre3.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Where is the PLG100-VH?
Next Topic:

Installing PGL boards in my Motif 7. ››