mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help recording MIDI drums through Motif into DAW"

Posted on: February 09, 2023 @ 08:10 AM
craigers01
Total Posts:  21
Joined  07-25-2012

I had no luck in the Mofif XF forum so I am reposting here.

I have a Cubase 7 connected to my Motif XF8. I would like to be able to connect my Alesis drum kit’s MIDI out to my XF8, and record the MIDI from the Drum.

Alesis Drums ->midiCable-> Motif XF8 ->firewire-> PC/Cubase

I have been able to record Audio while connected in this manner, but I’d really love to capture MIDI. Is there a way?

I wonder if this has to do with the MIDI setting. In order to send the sound from my DAW back to the Keys, I am set to Firewire. Maybe that disables the MIDI input from the drums. I tried connecting to the MIDI Passthrough. No luck.

Thanks!
Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2023 @ 05:50 AM
craigers01
Total Posts:  21
Joined  07-25-2012

Here was the solution (from my cross post).

Hello Craig

There is no direct way but a workaround: The Motif can’t handle two different MIDI Interfaces at the same time. Therefore when selecting the MIDI Interface unter UTILITY > MIDI you can set it to “MIDI” OR to “FW” (valid for MIDI In and Out) but not both. However you can achieve what you want in two steps: First set MIDI Interface to MIDI and record your drum playing in Song Mode into a Song. Then set the MIDI Interface to “FW” and start the recorded song on the Motif. The MIDI data in the internal sequencer are also passed to the MIDI Interface and sent to your computer where you can record them again (or you save your recording on the Motif as Standard Midi File and import it into your DAW).

Best regards, hobbit

[ Ignore ]