mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What do these musical terms mean in 2022??"

Posted on: September 19, 2022 @ 07:09 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

It almost seems like each music genre has its own definitions.
The EDM genre has one set of definitions, the Hip Hop community has another and so on.  I was amazed to see so many definitions for words that I thought the music industry had official definitions for.

So is it just the folks I’m bumpin into, or have definitions changed everywhere?

In 2022 what are the official definitions for the terms:

Producer
Arranger
Composer
Engineer
Looper
Beat
A and R

These terms have very different meanings depending on who you’re talking to and which genre of music they’re into.

For example in one major genre of music the Producer is the person who creates a complete musical motif inside a DAW using plugins and VSTs, so that it can be used as the basis for either a rapper, vocalist, or another producer’s musical motif DAW performance.  In this genre the idea of record Producer as it was used prior to 2000 is not a thing LOL.

And the phrase ‘making a beat’ or ‘cookin a beat’ may or may not involve drums or any other percussion instruments.  In some genres the phrase ‘making a beat’ refers to creating a 4,8, or 16 bar motif consisting of 2 to as many as 8 different sounds, instruments or samples.  In 2022 beats are usually made completely in a DAW, MPC, Maschine+, or Roland SP404 MkII

Does the music industry have official definition of these terms or do we just go with the flow.......

[ Ignore ]