mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What is acceptable noise level recording audio from the Motif?"

Posted on: September 12, 2020 @ 04:44 PM
ryanluckey
Total Posts:  11
Joined  05-31-2019

Hello!

I’ve connected my Motif6 (classic) to Ableton Live via Apollo Twin thunderbolt to record audio.

There’s not a lot of audible noise - I’m currently monitoring on my headphones - but I’m a little concerned about the noise level that appears with the Motif connected.

Attached is a photo of the Spectrum plugin within Live that shows the noise level with and without the Motif connected.

Spoiler: with the motif connected it’s considerably higher.

Is this a normal and acceptable noise level for the Motif audio outs? Or if not, I guess that would indicate a problem with the audio cable or even noise from the electricity in my house?

Since I might have 30-40 Motif-originated audio channels running in a project, could this noise add up? Or am I seeing a problem where there is none?

Appreciate any thoughts on this ... Ryan

Image Attachments
Apollo Twin No Audio In.pngApollo Twin (wall) with Motif connected.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 13, 2020 @ 08:35 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
ryanluckey - 12 September 2020 04:44 PM

Hello!

I’ve connected my Motif6 (classic) to Ableton Live via Apollo Twin thunderbolt to record audio.

There’s not a lot of audible noise - I’m currently monitoring on my headphones - but I’m a little concerned about the noise level that appears with the Motif connected.

Attached is a photo of the Spectrum plugin within Live that shows the noise level with and without the Motif connected.

Not being familiar with the Live display, some questions:
1) What’s the reference level?
2) Are these weighted or unweighted spectra?
3) What’s the lighter blue spectrum on the first capture?

ryanluckey -

Spoiler: with the motif connected it’s considerably higher.

Even if the Apollo and the Motif had the same noise levels, connecting the Motif would increase the level, since it’s additive. Of course, it’s signal-to-noise ratio (SNR or S/N) that matters, and without a signal reference level there’s no way to determine from what you’ve provided what effect the output level of the Motif (Volume setting) might have on the display.

ryanluckey -

Is this a normal and acceptable noise level for the Motif audio outs? Or if not, I guess that would indicate a problem with the audio cable or even noise from the electricity in my house?

Since I might have 30-40 Motif-originated audio channels running in a project, could this noise add up? Or am I seeing a problem where there is none?

As I mentioned previously, noise is additive - but so is signal. The overall SNR will probably remain about the same, as long as you keep levels up on each recording.

There’s something else to keep in mind - the listening environment in many cases is itself fairly noisy, and often significantly more so than than the noise in the recording. The most critical situation tends to be when noise-isolating headphones are used.

ryanluckey -

Appreciate any thoughts on this ... Ryan

You’ve got my “two cents”. I suggest that you make a quick test recording and evaluate the result. If you find the SNR objectionable, then investigate further. As long as you use proper audio cables, keep them as short as possible, don’t run them near power sources, and avoid ground loops, noise levels will probably be acceptable.

[ Ignore ]