mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MX49 drum sounds the same as earlier Motif models?"

Posted on: July 02, 2020 @ 02:15 PM
PeakLevelAudio
Total Posts:  4
Joined  07-02-2020

Hello! 

At school I used to have access to a Motif 6.  I see now that there’s an entry level model called the MX49 that has the same drum kits (and more) as the Motif 6 going by the voice list.

Can anyone confirm that the drums sound the same?  e.g. Is Dry Standard in an MX49 the same as Dry Standard in the Motif 6?

Any functionality limitations between the MX49 and the Motif series matters not to me since I’ll simply be using midi to trigger the drum sounds as is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2020 @ 04:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

The MX sounds are basically those of the Motif XS. The drum samples used in the XS (and MX) may not be identical to those of the Motif6 (Classic), although they are usually similar enough. I don’t have personal experience in comparing the two models, but I suspect you’d be satisfied with the MX drum sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2020 @ 09:20 PM
PeakLevelAudio
Joined  07-02-2020
5pinDIN - 02 July 2020 04:57 PM

Welcome to the forum.

The MX sounds are basically those of the Motif XS. The drum samples used in the XS (and MX) may not be identical to those of the Motif6 (Classic), although they are usually similar enough. I don’t have personal experience in comparing the two models, but I suspect you’d be satisfied with the MX drum sounds.

Thanks 5pinDIN! 

The MX series is much cheaper, so I’m really hoping it will fit the bill since all I want are the drum sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2020 @ 06:58 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeakLevelAudio - 02 July 2020 09:20 PM

Thanks 5pinDIN!

You’re welcome.

PeakLevelAudio -

The MX series is much cheaper, so I’m really hoping it will fit the bill since all I want are the drum sounds.

A bit more, which might help with your decision…

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/468008/

Are arpeggios important to you? The Classic Motif has 256 Preset ones, of which 105 are Drum Arps. The MX has 999 Preset Arps, 74 of them Drum/Percussion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2020 @ 04:09 PM
PeakLevelAudio
Joined  07-02-2020
5pinDIN - 03 July 2020 06:58 AM
PeakLevelAudio - 02 July 2020 09:20 PM

Thanks 5pinDIN!

You’re welcome.

PeakLevelAudio -

A bit more, which might help with your decision…

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/468008/

Are arpeggios important to you? The Classic Motif has 256 Preset ones, of which 105 are Drum Arps. The MX has 999 Preset Arps, 74 of them Drum/Percussion.

Arpeggios aren’t important to me!

I did want to add to this thread that I heard back from Yamaha, and their words when I asked if the drums are the same between the Motif and MX:

“...if they have the same name you can assume they are the same drum kit.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2020 @ 06:29 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeakLevelAudio - 03 July 2020 04:09 PM

Arpeggios aren’t important to me!

OK.

PeakLevelAudio -

I did want to add to this thread that I heard back from Yamaha, and their words when I asked if the drums are the same between the Motif and MX:

“...if they have the same name you can assume they are the same drum kit.”

That depends on what they mean by “same”. Yes, having the “same” instrument per key. Having the same samples, maybe.

If you download the Data Lists and compare the Wave Names for each drum key in same-named kits, you’ll see some variation from model to model. However, as I said earlier, you’ll likely be satisfied with the MX drums.

If do you get the MX, please let us know what you think.

[ Ignore ]