mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "NEW user got a MOXF8 and chose it over the MODX8"

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 06:30 PM
josephdouce
Total Posts:  19
Joined  02-14-2019

Just got a MOXF8 and I don’t understand all the MODX hype, I tried both.

Using the MOXF in song mode you basically have a MODX in performance mode but you can use the keyboard for all 16 parts instead of only 8.

No FM-X but if you don’t need that I see no reason to buy the MODX.

You can create multiple “performances” in song mode using the “receive channel” settings and have SSS of as many parts as you want (only 4 in MODX).

MOXF has DAW control!

PHYSICAL BUTTONS!

Sequencer!

BUT

The UI is hard work… without the PC editor I’d have gone MODX purely for the touch screen. I use the J.Melas tools shame there’s no all in one app for the MOXF. Might look into making one, I program in my spare time but its a mammoth task.

The Montage range just looks like a blinged up Motif with a flashy Knob and a touch screen. The only REAL addition is FM-X

Oh, and I saved £500 inc 1gb Flash.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 07:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting the MOXF8.

Please let us know if we can help with any questions concerning MOXF operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2019 @ 07:23 PM
josephdouce
Joined  02-14-2019
5pinDIN - 14 February 2019 07:10 PM

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting the MOXF8.

Please let us know if we can help with any questions concerning MOXF operation.

Thanks, only had it a day but I read all the manuals in advance so know my way arround pretty well already I’ll ask when I get stuck.

So far I have Reaper DAW control Working

Used Voice, Performance and Song Mode for layering and have made my own Piano voice with the CP1 Library on Flash.

Next up is Arp’s, Drums and the Sequencer.

Steep learning curve coming from a simple Roland FP-30 piano.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2019 @ 12:17 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Yea, as time goes by and the dust and hype over the Montage/MoDX settle.  It will be clear that MoXF/MotifXF is the superior instrument.  The Motif is already a legend.  This will only become more recognized over time, and Motif/MOXF will only be more sought after over time.  The harder they are to get the more musicians will crave them.

I suspect this will not be the fate for the Montage/MoDX.  Though these are nice performance synthesizers (very nice) they are not the titans that the Motif family are.  Motif virtually defines the workstation synthesizer and if that’s what you need its the go to instrument.  On the other hand the Montage/MoDX are improved derivatives of the SY77/DX
line of instruments.

Yea, you made the smart choice.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2019 @ 07:46 PM
josephdouce
Joined  02-14-2019

:) I tried both and couldn’t warrant £500 for a flashy knob and a touch screen.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 01:36 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Well, make no doubt about it the Montage/MoDX are beautiful instruments.  However the Motif/MoFX are twice as beautiful.

You literally get more functionality for your money with the MoFX or Motif, and not just little more, you get a lot more!

Also, I’m a little suspicious of Yamaha’s motive for the Montage direction in the first place.

I think that a upgraded Motif/MoFX would have had an even more negative impact on Cubase sales.

The propaganda is that nobody really uses Motif/MoFX for music production, sequencing & sampling.  And that the serious users do Cubase or Protools.  That’s all marketing. I personally know a few folks with Motif and more than a few folks with MoX and MoxF they are take full advantage of sequencing and music production and synthesis capabilities of their instruments.  I think some of them do in fact complement MoXF,Motif with a DAW, but no one I know has fully/partially replaced their instruments with a DAW.

Especially, the guys and gals that have working gigs!!!!  All of them (myself included) take full advantage of sequencing and sampling of the Motif/MoXF during the gig LOL.

Basically Yamaha scaled down the Motif by taking out a boat load of features, added FM synthesis capability and called it Montage.  And I’m starting to believe more and more that this was more about boosting Cubase sales and the upcoming Sequencing as a Service business model , than giving musicians what they really wanted. LOL

Cubase is not a musical instrument!  Yamaha/Steinberg and others are trying to sell musicians on the idea that DAW + VST is not only the same thing as a musical instrument, but better.

That is precisely the argument that is implicit and entailed in the propaganda about the advantage of Montage/MoDX over Motif/MoXF,

I

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 06:31 PM
jochner
Total Posts:  29
Joined  12-19-2010
josephdouce - 14 February 2019 06:30 PM

You can create multiple “performances” in song mode using the “receive channel” settings and have SSS of as many parts as you want .

Can you describe the procedure how to get SSS Performances’ Transitions in Song mode, please.

(Basically i am owning Xs but never could get seamles Performanses working, on the top of that 4 Parts in Performances got stuck with Polyphony issues)

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 07:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jochner - 17 February 2019 06:31 PM

Can you describe the procedure how to get SSS Performances’ Transitions in Song mode, please. [...]

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 07:20 PM
jochner
Joined  12-19-2010
5pinDIN - 17 February 2019 07:09 PM
jochner - 17 February 2019 06:31 PM

Can you describe the procedure how to get SSS Performances’ Transitions in Song mode, please. [...]

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1

Thanks a lot, i read it before but my main reason of asking was not SSS of Single Voices but rather 4 parts performances to 4 part performances glitch free.

Excerpt From the article:

“Changing an entire SONG MIXING or entire PATTERN MIXING setup will glitch, quite natuarlly - it is tons of data and lots of individual control functions - the trade off (benefit) is each individual MIXING program is extremely powerful… capable of housing 16 different sounds on as many as 16 different MIDI channels (of course you can layer multiple sounds on a single MIDI channel so that you can recall complex layers)… “

AFAIK Yamaha modx is capable of doing this job in comparison to MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 07:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jochner - 17 February 2019 07:20 PM

Thanks a lot, i read it before but my main reason of asking was not SSS of Single Voices but rather 4 parts performances to 4 part performances glitch free.

Excerpt From the artikle:

“Changing an entire SONG MIXING or entire PATTERN MIXING setup will glitch, quite natuarlly - it is tons of data and lots of individual control functions - the trade off (benefit) is each individual MIXING program is extremely powerful… capable of housing 16 different sounds on as many as 16 different MIDI channels (of course you can layer multiple sounds on a single MIDI channel so that you can recall complex layers)… “

AFAIK Yamaha modx is capable of doing this job in comparison to MOXF?

You’ve missed an important detail. The excerpt you posted is true, but seamless switching is done within a single Song or Pattern.

If all 16 Parts in a Mixing have different MIDI Receive Channels, then switching can only be done between single Voices.

However…
If groups of Parts are placed on the same Receive Channel, those groups can be switched between without a glitch. The equivalent of four Performances, each with four Parts, can be programmed within a single Song/Pattern Mixing. Each of those “Performances” would have all its Parts on a different MIDI channel. All four of the “Performances” would, of course, have to share the same System Effects.

The “Performances” don’t have to use four Parts - it’s certainly possible to mix things as you need. For example, there could be one group of four Parts, a group of three, two groups of two - and still have five separate Parts. In that case, you might have four Parts on Channel 1, three on Channel 2, two on Channel 3, two on Channel 4, and the remaining five on different channels (5~16) as desired.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2019 @ 08:14 PM
jochner
Joined  12-19-2010

Wow, finally i got it !!!!

Receive channels !!!! Super!  Every time learning new stuff!

Cheers to all!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2019 @ 04:40 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
5pinDIN - 17 February 2019 07:46 PM

You’ve missed an important detail. The excerpt you posted is true, but seamless switching is done within a single Song or Pattern.

Yes… so the seamless switching can only be done within a given pre-defined set of 16 voices… and also, only 8 of those voices can have insert effects on them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2019 @ 05:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
anotherscott - 18 February 2019 04:40 PM
5pinDIN - 17 February 2019 07:46 PM

Yes… so the seamless switching can only be done within a given pre-defined set of 16 voices… and also, only 8 of those voices can have insert effects on them.

True. Determining which Voices need Insert Effects and which sound OK with just System Effects should be done. In many cases that’s sufficient to meet the need.

You might have noticed that I haven’t inserted myself into the ongoing Motif-XF/MOXF versus Montage/MODX debates. The right model is the one that best serves a particular user’s requirements. I’m personally not a fan of touch screens, and I like features found in my Motifs that are missing in the newer models, but I’m not trying to convince anyone else that they should make a decision based on those factors. Those newer models might be good choices for a number of applications, such as for those who gig (I don’t) or who like to use a DAW (I don’t). That doesn’t mean I’m averse to interfacing synths to computers - I’ve been doing that for decades, using both commercial and my own software. My Motifs are connected via 5-pin MIDI, USB, FireWire, and Ethernet.

To each his own. Have fun with the product of your choice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 09:31 AM
jochner
Joined  12-19-2010
5pinDIN - 18 February 2019 05:27 PM

True. Determining which Voices need Insert Effects and which sound OK with just System Effects should be done. In many cases that’s sufficient to meet the need....

To each his own. Have fun with the product of your choice.

I have tried that Seamless function yesterday on my XS. And should admit its not only the insert effects which bother me now (found something new as always))

When i gained the SSS Performances Transitions then i lost individual voices control with sliders. Only global Volume is possible for each Performance.

Since 2 Performances locked to particular midi channels and all 4 voices controlled with only 1 slider.

( For my “Desert Rose” song i am doing a lot of percussion, duduk, arpeggiators Live with volume raising lowering etc). in this case Montage would be a winner here.

But thanks to everyone for helping me out!

Stay tuned 440 HZ!

Ivan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 11:00 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

If you have an iPad, I think you can use on-screen faders by using the Multi Editor Essential app…

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/apps/multi_editor_essential/features.html#product-tabs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2019 @ 12:24 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

@jochner

On the topic of SSS, I’m told the Korg Kronos has superior SSS to the Montage, and it has 9 synth engines and the montage only has 2, and it has Karma which can control in real time more parameters than the superknob, and it has incredible drum editing capability that would likely give you full and independent volume control over your composition.  And from what I understand you can stream VSTs from an internal SSD drive on the Kronos.  Does the Montage have a SSD?  Also at NAMM 2019 Korg announced a new SE Kronos with new cool reddish color. Montage only comes in one color :( And I think (but not sure) that the Kronos costs less than the Montage.  Korg Karma vs Montage Motion sequencing/Arpeggios?  Hmm....  I hear Karma wins that one.

If you’re leaving the Motif family you should probably go for the next best synth that will serve your musical needs right?  The more automation and features the better right? Its not even clear whether Yamaha will discontinue the Montage family in 2021 we know that the Kronos has legs right?  And with the Kronos you can have it all, Workstation capabilities, 9 Synth Engines, streamed/integrated VSTs, multiple colors, big touch screens, and SSS. All of the feature boxes will be checked!!!!

As you may know I’m a Motif fanboy (ride or die) and my feelings on the Montage are best reflected in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obljoHU0NcY

Cheers Mate

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Upgrading from XS!
Next Topic:

Previous posts ››