mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Where’s my sounds? Problems with flash memory when power on after off."

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 04:00 AM
lacarlin81
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-11-2014

Purchased sounds from a gospel music website was able to load onto flash memory and play, however, when I power off and back on the voice names are present but there is no sound. Any idea how to fix?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 09:29 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If this is a Motif XF, chances are you did not load into flash but into the sample RAM instead. If it’s a MOXF I’m not sure what might have happened.

Go to Utility -> Flash and see if anything is in fact loaded in your flash board(s). The screen will display how much of flash is in use and you can scroll through a list of all loaded waveforms.

Reread whatever installation instructions came with your library.

Libraries meant for XF usually load into XF RAM by default in case the user has no flash board(s). So when loading these, make sure you have the following Load settings made on the bottom right of the screen:

USR -> FL1 (or FL2 if that’s where you want the samples to go)
FL1 -> None
FL2 -> None

If you leave the load value at the default of USR -> USR, samples meant for RAM will go into RAM and not flash.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 10:00 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I hope you don’t mind a minor correction - I’m sure you had meant…

meatballfulton - 06 December 2016 09:29 AM

Libraries meant for XS usually load into XF RAM by default in case the user has no flash board(s). So when loading these, make sure you have the following Load settings made on the bottom right of the screen:

USR -> FL1 (or FL2 if that’s where you want the samples to go)
FL1 -> None
FL2 -> None

If you leave the load value at the default of USR -> USR, samples meant for RAM will go into RAM and not flash.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 02:55 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I beg to differ 5pin...for XF libraries it depends on the amount of samples. The majority of available XF libraries have 128MB or less of samples.

If they have less than 128MB of samples, they all load into USR by default. This is easily seen by opening the original All files in the Melas Waveform Editor.

An example of a library that does to load to FL1 by default is the Peter Jung Symphonic Library with 355MB of samples so cannot fit into RAM. The DCP/Easysounds Studio Drums library is also larger than 128MB.

It is true that XS libraries load into USR by default.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 05:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
meatballfulton - 06 December 2016 02:55 PM

I beg to differ 5pin...for XF libraries it depends on the amount of samples. The majority of available XF libraries have 128MB or less of samples.

If they have less than 128MB of samples, they all load into USR by default. This is easily seen by opening the original All files in the Melas Waveform Editor.

Indeed, many XF libraries have less than 128 MB of samples. However, that doesn’t mean they will load by default into USR memory (SDRAM). By default they load into the type of memory they were in when the “All” file was saved. In most cases that would be FL1 - it’s rare that libraries saved on an XF would have samples originating from USR memory, and that’s especially true for commercial libraries.

If Melas shows every XF library having less than 128 MB of samples as being from USR (and therefore loading there by default), something is wrong.

meatballfulton -

An example of a library that does to load to FL1 by default is the Peter Jung Symphonic Library with 355MB of samples so cannot fit into RAM. The DCP/Easysounds Studio Drums library is also larger than 128MB.

Obviously, anything larger than 128 MB can’t be loaded to XF SDRAM, so FL1 or FL2 would be the only possible choices.

meatballfulton -

It is true that XS libraries load into USR by default.

Well, I’m glad we agree on that.  :-)

If the file lacarlin81 obtained happened to be designated as compatible with both XS and XF, then it might be an XS “All"/.X0A or “All Voice"/.X0V, and then redirecting USR > FL1 would be necessary in order to prevent the loss mentioned in the original post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 06:22 PM
lacarlin81
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-11-2014

Hey thanks everyone, I was able to load the samples onto the flash module, but now the problem is that when I turn off the board, the sample names are in the user banks but no sound is coming out. I checked the flash module and found the sounds and were able to play them, but nothing is coming out in the voice and performance banks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2016 @ 08:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Not knowing exactly what type of file you’re working with and what you’ve done, it’s hard to suggest how to remedy the situation.

Let’s start with this…
What’s the exact name (including file extension) of the file you’re trying to load?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2017 @ 07:40 PM
DavidC
Total Posts:  15
Joined  05-19-2003

I figured I’d add to this one as I have the same problem.

I am loading WAV files that are snippets of songs that I then put into pattern play as loops.

I’ve loaded the sound into memory, stored it onto the Flash Ram using the Sampling / Job / Other - Copy to Flash Ram.  I then set up a voice, User 4, Preset A - 1 as the voice associated with the WAV file and then did the “Copy from Flash Ram”. 

I have set up my pattern and picked the preset in the mixing part of the Pattern mode.  Everything works fine until I shut the keyboard off.  When I power back up, I still have the pattern, but it won’t play.  I still have the voice set up, but it doesn’t play either.  If I go to the voice and do “Copy from Flash Ram”, then everything starts working again. 

What am I missing?  The Owner’s Manual is very vague about how to save things so that they come back up again when powered up. 

I had been using the WAVs on a memory card with the Classic Motif, which loaded all the patterns and WAVs no problem.  I’m trying to retire the Classic Motif as I now have a Montage in the family.  Wondering if loading these onto the Montage would be the better way to go?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2017 @ 08:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavidC - 22 January 2017 07:40 PM

[...] What am I missing?  The Owner’s Manual is very vague about how to save things so that they come back up again when powered up. [...]

The flash memory (which is not RAM, by the way) is non-volatile - what’s stored there remains when the power is turned off. When you copy to SDRAM, you place your WAV in volatile memory - any data there disappears when power is removed.

For your purposes, there’s no reason to copy what’s in flash to SDRAM. Edit your Voice, set the Wave Bank to FL1 (or FL2), and the Wave Number to that of the desired WAV. Then STORE the Voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2017 @ 10:25 PM
DavidC
Total Posts:  15
Joined  05-19-2003

That was the step I was missing—assigned the Waveform to FL1.  Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2017 @ 11:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavidC - 22 January 2017 10:25 PM

That was the step I was missing—assigned the Waveform to FL1.  Thank you!

You’re welcome!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MIDI loop compatibility
Next Topic:

Moving from FL1 to FL2 ››