mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Replacement screen"

Posted on: August 19, 2016 @ 10:52 PM
dluther
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-01-2013

Hi,

I got my Motif Rack at a pretty good deal on eBay because the description said the encoder wheel was shot.

I’m guessing someone either dropped this on the wheel or kicked it in the wheel, because the screen also has many of the vertical lines nearest the wheel out (see first attached image “Motif Screen 1").

After several minutes, many of those lines will come back on (see second image “Motif Screen 2").

Does anyone know where a replacement LCD screen for the Yamaha Motif Rack can be found?

Image Attachments
Motif Screen 1.jpgMotif Screen 2.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2016 @ 11:20 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

No luck in almost three years?…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470117/

Possible sources:
https://www.yamaha24x7.com/
https://syntaur.com/yamaha_motif.html

I believe the LCD display part number is WA17410R, but you should verify that before ordering.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2016 @ 10:12 AM
dluther
Joined  11-01-2013

No—no luck whatsoever, so thank you!

I was able to find the service manual for a Motif Rack XS, but I did not know the LCD display was the same between the original rack and the rack XS.

Syntaur has them in stock (new), and since I’ve already purchased a replacement encoder from them, I can finally get this fixed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2016 @ 09:14 PM
dluther
Joined  11-01-2013

5PinDin - thanks for that info.

Syntaur had a new replacement screen in stock as well as a new encoder wheel. The encoder on my Motif Rack was completely shot, just opened up in half and wobbling in place. After removing the 4-pin connector and encoder board, I was able to reassemble the encoder and make it work after unsoldering it, but it had a couple of “catches” in the rotary. The new one was much smoother and more fluid anyway (and most importantly, new), so I soldered the new one into the encoder board (tiny little board, almost too small for my PanaVise circuit board holder) and everything is nice.

The screen replacement was very straightforward, just two screws holding it in place (surprising), and a push-pull pressure lock collar on the flat flexible display cable. The display is the same part for the original and XS rack, so I would say it’s probably the same for the ES rack as well.

The Motif Rack, and I would surmise the ES/XS as well, is surprisingly easy to work on. Now my Motif Rack is whole, and back in the rack with some of his friends!

Image Attachments
11 - Screen Ribbon.jpg13 - Bad Encoder.jpg16 - Unsoldered.jpg20 - Encoder Test.jpg24 - Back in Rack.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 25, 2016 @ 09:29 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dluther - 25 August 2016 09:14 PM

5PinDin - thanks for that info. [...]

You’re welcome, and thanks for the followup. I’m glad you were able to restore the Rack to full proper operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2018 @ 01:23 PM
philcolly
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-14-2018

my yamaha motif es7 lcd screen went blank? where can I buy a lcd screen?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2018 @ 02:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
philcolly - 14 January 2018 01:23 PM

my yamaha motif es7 lcd screen went blank? where can I buy a lcd screen?

The Yamaha part number for the LCD, as shown in the Service Manual, is WB272500. I believe the current number is WB27250R. The exact replacement might be available from Yamaha.

The OEM identification for the LCD is Optrex-Kyocera F-51405GNY-LY-AG. Similar LCDs are available from other suppliers, but compare specifications before purchasing.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Bass sounds buzzing
Next Topic:

Motif Rack: "Unsplitting" the PRE1 073 Jazz Split voice ››