mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF as Audio Interface with MPC Sequencer"

Posted on: April 16, 2016 @ 08:43 PM
awhitebeats
Total Posts:  7
Joined  06-03-2011

So I just purchased a new Motif XF! New to the Motif XF but pretty familiar with how they operate. However, I come from the MPC world. 2000XL, 2500, 4000, and the Renaissance. Sold all of them and considering getting another because I love the sequencer. Very familiar with Cubase (AI) which is another reason I purchased this board. I bought the FW16E Firewire card but it hasn’t arrived yet.

Now, I PREFER the MPC sequencer and it’s features overall for certain tracks I compose (note repeat, full level, 16 levels, sampling/resampling etc).

I know how to setup midi for the MPC and XF to communicate but I want to know is it possible to just use the MPC to sequence everything (all sounds from Motif including samples I load) and export audio into Cubase via the FW16E card as my interface? The Motif is the only audio interface I have and interested in using. I’m on 2010 12 Core Mac Pro with the TI chip running 10.8.5.

I basically don’t want to track audio from the MPC. Just midi data from the MPC because I don’t have another interface but I know I can sample into the Motif. Not interested in using no drum pad controllers again. I’m an MPC guy period.

So can I load/sample all my drums (.wav) into the Motif, sequence with the MPC and dump the audio in Cubase thru the Motif FW16E firewire card without buying a new interface? The routing is the easy part and I must admit the Motif is quite flexible and the Cubase/Motif Advanced Integration is CRAZY!

Also, I used to own 3 of the Steinberg MR816X’S which I loved. Is this the same Yamaha FW driver they both use?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2016 @ 09:16 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Welcome.

Yes, I think you could do what you want. Use MPC sequencer to sequence sounds on XF, & when ready, transfer them to a DAW via the 16fwe.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 01:03 AM
awhitebeats
Joined  06-03-2011
dsetto - 17 April 2016 09:16 PM

Welcome.

Yes, I think you could do what you want. Use MPC sequencer to sequence sounds on XF, & when ready, transfer them to a DAW via the 16fwe.

To my understanding, it’ll be easier this way than trying to load sounds from the MPC then tracking out since I’m using the Motif as my interface. I’m assuming I can go MPC Audio Out > Motif AD In for the metronome on the MPC to be heard correct? Kinda confused on that part. Is it possible to use SPDIF Out MPC > into SPDIF In the Motif simultaneously while in multitrimble mode? What’s the best way to hear the metronome without having any issues? That’s all I need to know

Newbie question and off topic but what exactly are Waveforms within the Motif?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 10:25 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
awhitebeats - 18 April 2016 01:03 AM

I’m assuming I can go MPC Audio Out > Motif AD In for the metronome on the MPC to be heard correct?

Yes

Is it possible to use SPDIF Out MPC > into SPDIF In the Motif simultaneously while in multitrimble mode?

No SPDIF IN on the XF, OUT only.

Waveform is Yamaha-speak for a set of samples (for instance, a multi-sampled piano). A Keybank is a single sample. In other words, a waveform contains one or more keybanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 05:26 PM
awhitebeats
Joined  06-03-2011
meatballfulton - 18 April 2016 10:25 AM

I’m assuming I can go MPC Audio Out > Motif AD In for the metronome on the MPC to be heard correct?

Yes

Is it possible to use SPDIF Out MPC > into SPDIF In the Motif simultaneously while in multitrimble mode?

No SPDIF IN on the XF, OUT only.

Waveform is Yamaha-speak for a set of samples (for instance, a multi-sampled piano). A Keybank is a single sample. In other words, a waveform contains one or more keybanks.

Perfect! Would the Motif need to be in SAMPLE mode to hear the metronome?

So what’s the difference in voices? I thought voices were keybanks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 08:35 PM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

Do not need to be in sample mode to hear metronome. Which MPC do you have?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 09:58 PM
awhitebeats
Joined  06-03-2011
dsetto - 18 April 2016 08:35 PM

Do not need to be in sample mode to hear metronome. Which MPC do you have?

2000XL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 11:55 AM
dsetto
Joined  01-24-2014

cool. there’s lots of good info on this site. as I’ve read 5pindin write, pick one aspect at a time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 03:04 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The signal from the Motif A/D inputs can be routed direct to the outputs in all modes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2016 @ 04:09 PM
awhitebeats
Joined  06-03-2011
meatballfulton - 20 April 2016 03:04 PM

The signal from the Motif A/D inputs can be routed direct to the outputs in all modes.

Gotcha. Thanks all

[ Ignore ]