mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Storing mod wheel to voice & other newbie questions"

Posted on: November 19, 2012 @ 04:46 AM
rabyn
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-17-2012

Greetings,

I’m programming an XF8 for a show. I’ve made a lot of progress so far but I have a few questions. Unfortunately, I don’t have the board to program on unless we’re doing a date where the backline company is providing one & then I’m doing a show so it’s a catch 22. My next time with the XF8 will be when I get back home & spend some time at the local Guitar Center where they have one:)

In the meantime,

1. Can I store the end result of a VOICE where I use the mod wheel? Meaning that if I put it about say 40% on, can I store THAT sound?

As it is, if I set the MOD wheel to a certain point (where the keyboard player likes it) & store that VOICE, the MOD part is lost. Currently he’s just setting it manually each time but obviously there has to be a way to just make the VOICE include whatever effected sound as a default.

2. Is there way to create a VOICE from scratch (empty)? I have some samples I would like to build a voice around but when I start from an existing VOICE, there are inherent parameters & such that come with whatever VOICE I start from. If not, is there a way to clean out an existing VOICE? 

I worked on adding some samples to an existing VOICE & thought I saved what I did to a USB drive by saving an ALL (with samples) file. When I restart the XF8 & reload the file, that VOICE is silent.

3. I would like to set it up so that via MIDI program changes messages, I can call up the correct sound on the XF8 when I change scenes on a Yamaha M7CL audio console. I’ll be working on this concept tomorrow before the show but here is what I’ve done so far.

Via my Mac & MIDIMONITOR, I’ve caught the program changes for the VOICES I need to select. Via a program called QLAB, I’m able now to recall those VOICES. But I can’t figure out how to make sure I’m in USER1/band A other than to setup AUTOLOAD which is good unless the keyboard player accidentally ends up in PRESET 1,2,3 MODE OR USER 2, 3, 4…

Is there a way via program change to select not only the VOICE but the BANK & USER & even the VOICE function?

4. I have a patch that I need to add a bit of distortion to but so far under effects, I only fine AMP SIMULATOR 1 & 2 & neither allow for adjusting how much (at least I haven’t found where to adjust that). These are effects on the inserts of the VOICE. Maybe I need to be working in another control window or something. The goal is to take a Wurlitzer sound (Natural Wurli) & add a bit of overdrive. I see where to adjust the parameters in the offline editor but I haven’t found these adjustments on the actual keyboard. Obviously once I get to where I can sync the two, I’ll be able to edit on my Mac but in the meantime, it would be helpful to understand where to adjust these things on the keyboard.

Thanks in advance!

ra byn (robin)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2012 @ 10:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1. Can I store the end result of a VOICE where I use the mod wheel? Meaning that if I put it about say 40% on, can I store THAT sound?

No. By design MIDI controllers will automatically RESET when a new program is recalled. Without this RESET chaos would quickly ensue. All Controllers retrun to pre-determined values no matter where the physical control is left positioned.
The MW goes to minimum (0)… even if you left it up 40%, the MW sends a 0 value as soon as you change programs.
The Foot Controller goes to maximum (127)… even if you left the pedal HEEL DOWN, the FC sends a value of 127 as soon as you change programs.
The Pitch Bend Wheel, the Knobs, the Ribbons, etc., etc., etc all have a DEFAULT condition. They are designed by the crafters of MIDI to optimize NORMAL conditions when a program is recalled. And you have to understand and appreciate this before you can accept the solution

(oh, yes, I should mention there is a solution).

Most pro keyboards give you a way to set CONTROLLERS to HOLD - that is, if you are using an Expression pedal to control your volume “live”, you may not want the FOOT PEDAL to automatically send 127 when you call up the next program. So the CONTROLLER RESET = HOLD parameter makes your controllers “live’ from one program to another. You “inherit” whatever the value is currently

But this will not help you, in your situation. You need to actually find out what that MOD WHEEL is responsible for controlling and then STORE that condition so the VOICE is recalled the way you require.
For example, if the MW is responsible for controlling Filter Envelope Generator DEPTH, you would need to go to the parameter being controlled and set it to the Value you desire, and then STORE the VOICE with that setting.

The MW will still return to 0 but your VOICE will come up sounding as if the FEG DEPTH were set to that “40%” value you desired. Now in your example, you don’t mention what it is the MW is controlling - it can be any of about 100 parameters… but the MW is being used to “EDIT” the Voice. You simply must go to the parameter being edited by the MW and adjust it… and STORE that adjustment to the VOICE. Because the MW will always RESET… or INHERIT the previous value.

2. Is there way to create a VOICE from scratch (empty)? I have some samples I would like to build a voice around but when I start from an existing VOICE, there are inherent parameters & such that come with whatever VOICE I start from. If not, is there a way to clean out an existing VOICE?

”From scratch” in the Mtofi XF is a condition described by the INITIALIZE JOB
From VOICE mode:
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INITIALIZE
Press [ENTER]
This will create a default Voice with only 1 of the 8 Elements active
It will reset all parameters to agreed upon values (not always 0, 0 is not as helpful as you might think). For example the VOLUME is set to 100 on a scale of 0-127. This avoids you having to set every single parameter manually. Life is way too short to do that. So the INIT Voice leaves you ready to create without having to activate a thousand parameters, all set at zero.

The INIT VOICE has WAVEFORM 0001 assigned to ELEMENT 1, (Waveform 0001 happens to be a piano).
The AEG (Amplitude Envelope Generator) responsible for the loudnes shape of the sound, is also not at 0, 0 would mean no sound. Instead the default envelope is what programmers describe as an ORGAN envelope.

What this means is, as with an organ - the sound rises in volume almost immediately, stays at full volume as long as you hold the key, and disappears almost immediately upon you releasing the key. This is the agreed upon default envelope. Much better than a 0 envelope which would require you know to go there.

So get used to the FROM SCRATCH conditions as provided by the INITIALIZED VOICE routine. And learn to build your Voices from there. Start by chosing a WAVEFORM for your ELEMENT - this is done on the OSCILLATOR page
Press [EDIT]
Press numbered button [1] to view Element 1 parameters
Press [F1] OSCILLATOR  

Is there a way via program change to select not only the VOICE but the BANK & USER & even the VOICE function?

PROGRAM CHANGE is a kind of MIDI message.
BANK SELECT is another kind of MIDI message

in order to select a Program from a specific Bank of the Motif XF, you must send both BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE messages from whatever you are using to control the XF. BANK SELECT tell it what BANK to go to, then the PROGRAM CHANGE tells it which program (Voice) to select from that Bank.

The goal is to take a Wurlitzer sound (Natural Wurli) & add a bit of overdrive. I see where to adjust the parameters in the offline editor but I haven’t found these adjustments on the actual keyboard

Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT] (Effects are a parameter common to all the Elements of the Voice)
Press [F6] EFFECT
Now the [SF] buttons will allow you navigate the EFFECTS of the VOICE.
[SF1] CONNECT - here you can move the cursor around and see the actual routing each Element through the processor blocks.
[SF2] INS A - drops into Edit INSERTION A parameters
[SF3] INS B - dorp into Edit INSERTION B parameters
[SF4] REVERB
[SF5] CHORUS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2013 @ 07:02 AM
BrianGalb4
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-04-2013

good topic

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic: