mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MIDI Controller!!!"

Posted on: January 29, 2011 @ 05:02 PM
keytarhero
Total Posts:  305
Joined  07-03-2008

Why in the heck is there not a Yamaha MIDI keyboard controller out there that is kicking the competition’s booty?  This is so confusing to me. 

People have argued whether Yamaha should venture more into software w/ soft synths, but this is different.  Yamaha has been making keyboards for years and they know how to do it very well.  Why not offer a top of the line MIDI keyboard? 

I think the KX series was not quite as successful as it could have been due to the lack of features (more knobs, sliders, pads, rubberized wheels, ribbon controller, expression pedal input, etc).  It was obviously designed for Cubase in mind with not so much focus on anything else.

I am an audio engineer and I use the Yamaha DM-1000 and M7 digital mixers at the performance halls in which I work.  Yamaha has the motorized faders down pat!  They’ve been the most dependable I’ve come across (since I’ve never once had a problem with them).  Currently, there are no other keyboard controllers on the market that offer the motorized faders (unless you count CME, but I’ve never heard consistent good reviews of their products and they’re harder to find which makes me think they are discontinued or are being phased out). 

Here it is Yamaha.  The ultimate controller to rule all others.  I’ll tell you how to do it in some easy steps =)

First, stick to your formula of pitch and mod wheels and ribbon controller (as seem on the motif).  This works great...done.

Next, stick to your layout of knobs (with an additional 8) and sliders (8, 8, and 8 similar to the motif)...8 knobs regular pot and 8 knobs continuous/endless pots (would settle for just 8 knobs total—endless pots).  8 motorized faders would be very nice!  When you call up a parameter it is extremely frustrating and tedious when your sliders aren’t where they should be.  This is understood amongst digital mixers, why not keyboards?  Novation offers touch sensitive knobs and sliders...necessary?  I dunno.  I suppose it depends upon your display.  I think you can skip this.

Third, offer 16 pads, in a 4x4 layout.  Make them exact squares.  Not even Akai, who has been the name in pads for years can get it right on their keyboard controllers.  They seem to cut back and make rectangular pads on the boards and somehow they don’t feel like akai pads (feel cheesy).  They also only offer 12 pads (3x4).  There is lots of software using MPC style virtual instruments.  Quite fun! 

Next, make sure not to leave off the expression pedal input.  It’s nice to have options. 
And Yamaha, you sell expression pedals!  Why dead-end your product sales?

Lastly, I am a huge fan of the Fatar keybed.  It is my favorite.  Yamaha keys are a very close second (for me...this is our individual opinions as keyboard players).  Yamaha keys will always do an amazing job!  As long as your keys aren’t cheap and awkward like the maudio and akai boards, you’ll certainly do awesome with your normal formula in this department. 

Again, Yamaha, you don’t need to go into software synth production, but we all know how prominent it is.  Why not offer the killer controller and still be the hardware king/queen amongst software?  I believe in you, Yamaha!  You can do it!  =D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2011 @ 08:36 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

Any supporters of this idea?  It seems nearly impossible that Yamaha hasn’t had something in the works…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2011 @ 08:58 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The market for high-end keyboard controllers (anyone remember the massive KX controllers of the 1980s?) with rugged build and nice actions is just too small.

Roland and Korg also used to make such beasts but gave up years ago and now make the simple and inexpensive controllers that compete with M-Audio and Novation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2011 @ 09:15 PM
Igglethorpe
Total Posts:  163
Joined  11-20-2010

Think of the Motif XF as a very expensive keyboard controller with Remote Mode… with a sound module built in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2011 @ 05:32 AM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008
Igglethorpe - 04 February 2011 09:15 PM

Think of the Motif XF as a very expensive keyboard controller with Remote Mode… with a sound module built in.

haha...yeah...A bit too expensive for a controller.  =)

The Novation boards are the best all around midi controllers out there currently.  If only they had motorized faders—it would be complete.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
Venatt
Total Posts:  744
Joined  07-11-2004

Akay and M-Audio are the Kings of Midi Controllers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2011 @ 02:15 PM
49erkid
Total Posts:  21
Joined  03-28-2011

My opinion is that Yamaha is making money and specializing where they are good, Motifs.  As far as a nice midi keyboard controller, with plenty of knobs and faders (not motorized) is one that I have, the Akai MPK49, it has very solid build quality, and even has drum trigger pads, it has velocity and after touch sensing, works with USB or MIDI, just wanted to throw it out there, also the price is around $350.00 USD.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2011 @ 05:13 PM
vbernard
Total Posts:  4
Joined  04-03-2011

Be cause they want you to buy a Mo8 and use it as a controller
like i did.

Akai and M-Audo are cheap garbage for pianist

they have velocity issues same with m audio

besides anything i bought M-audio lasted roughly 3 years
and that’s in the studio not even getting banged around.

A lot of the stuff out now is for beat makers
not composers or pianists.

[ Ignore ]