mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "how to connect mlan 16e2 on motif xs6? Is there a video showing installation?"

Posted on: April 26, 2010 @ 06:09 PM
achint1919
Total Posts:  48
Joined  07-17-2008

I have a Saffire LE Pro Soundcard with Firewire connection which I can attach to my PC with firewire port… Do you think that instead of recording via this if I record using mlan 16e2 I would get a better sound quality? If not thn what is the use of buying mlan16e2?

Also please tell me what is the difference between using ethernet port on motif and using mlan 16e2 for recording on computer? I have use neither? Thanks a lot in advance for all the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 04:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a Saffire LE Pro Soundcard with Firewire connection which I can attach to my PC with firewire port… Do you think that instead of recording via this if I record using mlan 16e2 I would get a better sound quality? If not thn what is the use of buying mlan16e2?

The mLAN16E2 is for those who are doing heavy music production with the Motif XS as the basis for their basic tracks. It provides 16 audio bus outputs. The Saffire LE Pro will deliver just a stereo feed via firewire. If all you need to record is just the stereo output of the XS, this may be fine. But for those doing heavy tracking, nothing beats the 16 audio bus outputs via the mLAN16E2.

Also please tell me what is the difference between using ethernet port on motif and using mlan 16e2 for recording on computer? I have use neither? Thanks a lot in advance for all the help

Again the difference is, recording everything in one pass as a stereo output (Ethernet) to your computer’s hard drive and multiple audio bus outputs (16 audio bus outputs) via the mLAN16E2.

The mLAN16E2 allows you to route your PARTS of the MIXING setup to their own audio tracks as necessary to accomplish your production. Again this would be useful for those doing music projects that require individual tracks for each PART… for those who want to do advanced processing of signals.

We have several articles in the SUPPORT area on Advanced Applications of using the mLAN16E2… even though you don’t have one, you can read through them and get an idea about simply recording stereo, and routing individual drums to their own audio track, and giving each instrument sound its own mono or stereo audio track during your production.

The Saffire and recording direct to USB or via Ethernet, are simply recording the XS output in stereo… you are connecting the stereo audio output of the XS to another device. If that is all you need, that is a way to go.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 07:30 AM
achint1919
Joined  07-17-2008

Thanks.. I get it now… So I would be able to record guitars and vocals on cubase connected via mlan 16e2 in the same way that i would do it with my Saffire LE Pro. And with mlan 16e2 i would be able to even record all the tracks on Motif XS together in Cubase. Right. So basically mlan 16e2 can do everything that Saffire LE Pro or any other similar audio interface would do plus more… Right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 08:08 AM
achint1919
Joined  07-17-2008

Except that with Saffire LE i would be able to record with SPDIF connection which I would not be able to do with using just mLan 16e2… right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 01:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

S/PDIF is Sony-Phillips Digital Interface and is a stereo digital audio format. Again all PARTS are sent as a stereo audio bus.

The difference is having configurable assignable outputs (mLAN16E2)
and having just a stereo send from the XS (SP/DIF, Saffire LE).

If you use the S/PDIF output on the XS you will have just stereo - if you use the firewire output on the XS you will have configurable assignable outputs: L/R plus 14 assignable outputs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 06:00 PM
beechit
Total Posts:  61
Joined  01-28-2010

If your just recording at home to your PC, don’t bother with the mLAN card. People tend to buy their XS then rush out and buy all the add-ons which they use a few times then sell them on.

As explained above, the digital out is more than sufficient for good quality demos (depending on your ear for sound obviously).
And from my experience, If your manager thinks the song is good enough for him to take to A&R;, he will take you to the studio to put it down - and pay for it!

My personal tip: Get a USB mixer, e.g. Yamaha MW12C,
Route the XS’s assignable outs to e.g assL for bass, assR for drums BD/SNR, or what ever....

Feed your XS’s 2 stereo outs and the 2 assignable outs to seperate channels on your mixer (1 stereo/2 mono)
and then tweak at will.
Use your pan, volume and FX’s on each sequencer track wisely,
Don’t drown all your tracks in FX’s as I’ve heard so many times.
Record companies don’t want to hear it.

This way you should at least give your song more clarity on the final mix before recording.

PS: Don’t forget to use your sliders on the XS for a more mix down feel. Also tweak your master effects, compressor,eq. etc.

Remember, the XS is a brilliant machine but it’s what the indvidual does with it that will measure your talent.
....but it will inspire you for sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2010 @ 07:58 PM
achint1919
Joined  07-17-2008

But why do I need a mixer to make my mix… Why should I not record all my tracks on Cubase using say Saffire LE audio interface (or mLan 16e2) and sync them and then finally mix them on Cubase directly?

Btw I hope using mLan 16e2 and my Motif interface I will be able to record vocals and guitars too on my computer…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ cubase 5 driver
Next Topic:

Foot Controller problem ››