mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "help with guitar sounds ?"

Posted on: March 29, 2021 @ 09:11 AM
carlg
Total Posts:  14
Joined  02-09-2021

Hey all i have a yamaha mo6 and when i select the elec guitar sounds i.e overdrive, feed back they sound so bland and nothing like what i hear on the demos, can someone help me please ??? cheers in advance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2021 @ 10:39 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
carlg - 29 March 2021 09:11 AM

Hey all i have a yamaha mo6 and when i select the elec guitar sounds i.e overdrive, feed back they sound so bland and nothing like what i hear on the demos, can someone help me please ??? cheers in advance

carlg, you need to be more specific.

Bland in what way?

Which demos are you comparing your MO6 to?  Are you comparing it to MO6 demos, or other synths or what?

Have you picked Amp simulators in the effects on your Mo6, or have you applied distortion effects to your guitar voice?  Which electric guitar voice are you trying?  Have you tried the voice with pitch bend, mod wheel, etc?

There are a lot of techniques that go into pulling off a good electric guitar sound on a synthesizer besides just picking the guitar sound.

What have you tried so far?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2021 @ 10:52 AM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

hi and thanks for replying...well basically it doesnt sound anything like an overdrive guitar or a feedback for example! i dont know how to add the fx or amp simulators on the mo6 , i know how to do it on my daw but im doing this particular song ols school on my mo6 so if you can help please do ....thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2021 @ 06:24 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

Well, you’re probably going to have to spend a little time to get to know you Mo6 better.  For instance The MO has these electric guitars:

90 F10 JazzGTmelo Gt E.GUITAR
91 F11 Velo Jazz Gt E.GUITAR
92 F12 FM Jazz Gt E.GUITAR
93 F13 For Funk Gt E.GUITAR
94 F14 Spanky Gt E.GUITAR
95 F15 Funkiest Gt E.GUITAR
96 F16 Vin Strum Gt E.GUITAR
97 G01 1CoilChors Gt E.GUITAR
98 G02 CleanChors Gt E.GUITAR
99 G03 ChorusPlus Gt E.GUITAR
100 G04 SmoothChor Gt E.GUITAR
101 G05 TexBoogie Gt E.GUITAR
102 G06 Rockabilly Gt E.GUITAR
103 G07 65 Combo Gt E.GUITAR
104 G08 VinTremolo Gt E.GUITAR
105 G09 Crunchoid Gt E.GUITAR
106 G10 DynamicAmp Gt E.GUITAR
107 G11 Feedback Gt E.GUITAR
108 G12 VOODOOMAN Gt E.GUITAR
109 G13 BlueLead Gt E.GUITAR
110 G14 MeloRckLd Gt E.GUITAR
111 G15 MetalMute Gt E.GUITAR
112 G16 OverTheTop Gt E.GUITAR

You would have to audition each of these guitars to see which guitar was the closest to the sound and feel for what you’re going for.

Also keep in mind, that playing these guitars using the pitch bend wheel, sustain pedal, or mod wheel might get you closer to the sound you’re trying to get.

In addition to these, you need to familiarize yourself with the Insert Effects that are available on your MO that could get you closer to the sound you’re looking for.  For instance your instrument has the following effects that can be applied to anyone of the guitars on the list above:

DISTORTION Distortion
COMP DISTORTION Comp + Dist
V-DISTORTION V-Distortion
OVER DRIVE Overdrive
AMP SIMULATOR AmpSimulator
AMP SIMULATOR 2 AmpSim 2
DIST+DELAY Dist
OVERDRIVE+DELAY

If you don’t have the manuals for your instrument, I think they can be found at:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/contents/music_production/downloads/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=music_production&k=Motif&p=2

Its going to be a challenge to replicate, or emulate another instrument, if you’re aren’t comfortable on the instrument that you’re using to do the replication, or emulation.

I don’t know how all of this is done in a DAW.  But getting a convincing electric guitar sound from a Motif requires both some familiarity with the Motif, and familiarity with how electric guitars make that overdrive/fuzz sound.

As you know, the electric guitar’s overdrive sound, or any other sound that it makes is a combination of:

1 The way the person is playing the guitar (Power Chords,thumping tapping,etc)
2. The Guitar its model, make, strings, pickups, etc
3. The Amp that is being used
4. The Effects Pedals & Stomp Boxes, etc the Guitar is plugged into
5. The space/room the guitar is being played in

If your goal is to convincingly pull of the Electric Overdrive/Fuzz guitar on the Motif/Mo , you have to be familiar enough with your Motif/Mo to know how to deal with items 1 thru 5 on the MO.

For an authentic guitar sound, how you play on the Motif will matter, in which octaves you play will matter. How you voice chords will matter.  How you use Pitch bend & Mod wheels will matter.  Which Amp simulator effects, Flanging, Phasing, Distortion,etc you use as insertion effects will matter. How you setup the reverb for the room your Motif guitar is being played in will matter.

Again, I don’t know how all this is accounted for on a DAW, but on the Motif/MO there is no one button you can just push and instantly get an authentic electric overdrive guitar.

Keep in mind, if its just some particular Guitar Overdrive sound you’re looking for, if your Motif has sample capability, then Sample that sound.

It takes skill for a person to play good electric overdrive guitar.  It also takes skill to authentically reproduce that sound/performance on a synthesizer.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 11:46 AM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

thanks again for your time, ill try looking at how to insert the effects ...cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 12:11 PM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

im looking in my manual but with no avail! could you poss just get me started on the right track, how for example to add distortion or overdrive etc to a guitar, ive pressed all the insert fx buttons but cant see anything like that, i only just got hold od a manual and have self taught myself from scratch, i ve successfuly produced 3 x songs finished using the tracks, inserting pc and cc tempos everything but i cant suss this guitar insert fx out :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 03:04 PM
lastmonk
Joined  12-17-2013

You add effects on the Motif/Mo in Voice mode.

1. Select The voice that you want (possibly using category search)

2.  Once in voice mode, you should find a tab named Effects.

3.  Select that tab.  That will put you on the effects screen.

You can assign up to 2 insert effects on one voice.
Make sure at least 1 or more elements are assigned to either INSA or INSB.  INSA refers to the 1rst effect and INSB will be the second effect.

While on the Effects screen you can select INSA, or INSB to set up the effect.  you can choose
overdrive, dist, etc from INSA or INSB tab.  And you can set up the parameters from there.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 03:28 PM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

ok ill try that and thank you x

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 06:34 PM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

ok you been fab so dar but please help some more.......so for example ive gone on to voice and played around with the wah lead guitar its now called “usr1 050 (d02) but when i go back to song and go to mixer and put track as voice 050 (wah lead) it has lost all its fx!! i cant figure out how to save the voice and to get it to play in my song mix ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2021 @ 06:44 PM
carlg
Joined  02-09-2021

im just not getting how to set insa and insa b? its as if once you got a guitar sounding just like you want it you should be able to push a button to save that setting but i dont know how :( and cant figure it out

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ yamaha mo6 help with daw
Next Topic:

heelllppppp!!!!! smf files ››