mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Pro Tools automation"

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 10:45 PM
davesmith_56
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-05-2015

Hi,

I’ve been following this forum for years and I’m a long term Motif user. I really enjoy the help given here and have benefited from it so much.

Wondered if anyone knows much about Pro Tools and specifically how to move all automation nodes on one audio track in one go?

Thank you.

Dave.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 10:55 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi davesmith_56,

Welcome to Motifator,

Can you tell me what version of Pro Tools you are using?  Version number and if it is HD or not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 11:01 PM
davesmith_56
Joined  03-05-2015

Thank you for replying,

I’m not using HD lol (I wish) I’m using the standard Pro Tools version 9. if i could afford to drop 10k on a DAW, then I might! 

Does it matter?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 11:18 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Sadly, it does matter.

You might be unhappy to learn this, but the particular function you are asking about is excluded from the domestic version of Pro Tools and is only available in the professional HD/HDX version and it is automation trim.

On realising that your track is correctly automated, but needs to be 0.5 dB louder overall, it’s infuriating enough to make you think you’ve got to sit there and manually move 50 or 60 automation points one by one, when all you want to do is highlight them all and move them together in one go whilst keeping relative positions!

There are some workarounds, but they depend on how comfortable you are with Pro Tools.

Do you know what an insert is and do you know how to bounce tracks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 11:42 PM
davesmith_56
Joined  03-05-2015

right, can i sue Avid? lol, that’s not very charitable of them.

I know what an insert does on a mixing console and in Pro Tools.  I also know how to bounce tracks in Pro Tools

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2015 @ 11:59 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

ok, good.

The bounce workaround involves leaving your automation as it is and bouncing that track out in isolation, so that the automation gets rendered into the resulting audio file.

When you’ve bounced the audio out, you can reimport it and rebalance it to how you wanted it in the first place. 

This is good if you are sure that your automation is perfect, because you are stuck with it unless you do the whole process again.  That’s a good way, it’s not the best though.

The other way is to use the Trim plug in which comes with the stock Pro Tools plug ins.

Again, leave your automation as it is and put an instance of the Trim plug on an available insert, or your last insert if others on the same channel are occupied.

The trim plug in has a fader and all you need to do is adjust it, so, if you did want a 0.5 dB increase, slide it up 0.5 dB and your track is then rebalanced at the new level.  If you want to change it again, you should continue to use the fader on the Trim plug in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 12:56 AM
davesmith_56
Joined  03-05-2015

Phil,

I tried both ways and found the trim way the easiest and it’s a beautiful workaround retaining full control and makes it kinda like there isn’t a missing feature at all!

Boy! that was giving me a headache! Thank you very much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 01:44 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Not a problem, you’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ An Age Old Question.....
Next Topic:

Wireless headphones for studio? ››