mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIFXS8 + Sonar X2: Rotaries and select track problem"

Posted on: March 14, 2013 @ 10:03 AM
TouchOfDestiny
Total Posts:  26
Joined  11-22-2009

Hi,

I own a Yamaha Motif XS and I would like to control Sonar X2 with the “Remote mode”. I use the USB drivers and, as suggested by other users, I selected as Control Surface “Mackie Control” (in Sonar). Everything works fine, except for two things:

The knobs (rotaries) act very strange. It’s almost impossibile to use them, because it is as if they were “out of sync” with Sonar. As i move left the knob, the corresponding knob in Sonar (for example the pan one) jumps to 100%L even if it is not totally at 100%. When I then turn right, I can’t reach (in Sonar) the center position anymore (but the rotary in the Motif XS is set to center).
I just cant select the tracks with the buttons. Normally, to select for example track 1, you just have to press the “9” button in the Motif. For track two, the “10”, and so on.

Can anybody tell me if there’s a solution to these problems?

Thank you very much in advance,
David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2013 @ 02:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

That is not normal behavior.

To begin troubleshooting we’ll skip the driver version et al, because you say something’s are working.

But at no time do you mention placing the Motif XS in Remote mode. There are two steps to ensure proper control

Step 1:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE
Set the DAW TYPE = Sonar
Press [STORE]

Step 2:
Press [REMOTE ON/OFF]
The button will flash while you are in Remote mode.

You must be in Remote mode, for the front panel functions to address Sonar as a Control Surface.

If you have already set these two steps, and the knobs are still behaving badly, we will need to check your MIDI routing, let us know.

Please see the Motif XS Data List Booklet 2 for details on the REMOTE mode assignments for your DAW (Page 58).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2013 @ 01:28 AM
TouchOfDestiny
Joined  11-22-2009

Hi Bad_Mister and thank you very much for your reply.
I didn’t know that there was a “Motif XS Data List Booklet 2”. I’ve only had part 1.
I’ve downloaded it now from Yamaha.

Well, yes, the knobs behave strangely in REMOTE MODE. What I will try now, is to have only the Motif XS connected to the PC.

Normally I work with a MOTU 828mkII firewire Interface. Maybe, as you said, the problem could be the routing.

Thanks, I’ll let you know.
David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2013 @ 09:50 AM
TouchOfDestiny
Joined  11-22-2009

Hi,

I checked all the routing and the connections. Here’s what I found:

1) If I only connect the Motif XS (USB drivers) without any other hardware Sonar has the same problem: the knobs don’t react correctly and I cannot select any track by pressing the “9, 10, 11...” buttons on my Motif (although the mute, solo and arm button work).

2) Curiously, if I add another control surface in Sonar which has nothing to do with the Motif, the Roland VS-700 control surface, the knobs seem to move more accurately according to the position on the keyboard AND the tracks can be normally selected by pressing button 9,10,11,...unfortunately I cannot use the Mackie Control with the Roland VS-700, ‘cause they interfere each other.

3) I tried to use the MIDI learn function to configure the knobs manually, but the result is the same.

If anybody of you has an idea of what the problem can be, please let me know it.

Thanks in advance.
David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2013 @ 08:35 AM
Risha Tedo
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-19-2013
TouchOfDestiny - 14 March 2013 10:03 AM

Hi,

I own a Yamaha Motif XS and I would like to control Sonar X2 with the “Remote mode”. I use the USB drivers and, as suggested by other users, I selected as Control Surface “Mackie Control” (in Sonar). Everything works fine, except for two things:

The knobs (rotaries) act very strange. It’s almost impossibile to use them, because it is as if they were “out of sync” with Sonar. As i move left the knob, the corresponding knob in Sonar (for example the pan one) jumps to 100%L even if it is not totally at 100%. When I then turn right, I can’t reach (in Sonar) the center position anymore (but the rotary in the Motif XS is set to center).
I just cant select the tracks with the buttons. Normally, to select for example track 1, you just have to press the “9” button in the Motif. For track two, the “10”, and so on.

Can anybody tell me if there’s a solution to these problems?

Thank you very much in advance,
David

[ Ignore ]