mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Any Yamaha MU128 users, please? -I need some info about it."

Posted on: May 31, 2012 @ 10:20 AM
Kahnn
Total Posts:  53
Joined  05-28-2011

I’ve downloaded the manual and sound list of MU128 from Yamaha’s website, but still not satisfied. So few info / media on the web about this module.

1) There are no 1/4” audio outputs; only RCA, right? would it make any difference? Is this not a bad thing, having RCA outputs instead of common 1/4” line outputs? Specially on stage, when working with bigger sound systems, amplifiers, etc.

2) The sound bank is huge, ok. But the quality of these sounds? Does it sound like… what? Motives? ES’es? u220’s? Are the voices satisfying?

3) I’ve found a 2nd hand, the owner asks about 160$. Does it worth? Or a waste?

4) I have an ES7 (+3 PLG boards), with which I’m really happy. unfortunately, it’s really heavy and killing my back moving it from stage to stage. Could I use MU128 instead of it? MU128 is about 10 times lighter. :)

Thanks,
Kahnn

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2012 @ 11:30 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Well, making a comparison between Motif ES7 + 3 PLGs and a MU128 doesn’t make sense because they’re quite different instruments.

To make a MU128 sound like a MotifES you need to edit single timbres, layer several parts and obtain a cut polyphony. Is this a clever move?

Assuming to my experience, MU modules are conceived for MIDI files playback and in this field they are great, expecially if you delve into sys-ex parameter programming and severe patch editing.

On the other hand, Motif ES sounds already full at first, without mortal jumps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2012 @ 11:53 AM
Kahnn
Joined  05-28-2011

I see your point. Thanks for the response.
I’m a lazy guy. I hate editing. :) I need prepared voices/patches/performances.

How about using it with ES7? Like, say, a Roland JV1080 module. My band’s repertoire is mostly consist of pop and rock. Would it help? At least 100 voices out of 1300 onboard should be satisfying, right?

...and using the plg boards (an, dx, vl) should make no difference as according to using the boards with ES, right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2012 @ 08:34 PM
Kahnn
Joined  05-28-2011

Now, I have the MU128 (not purchased it yet, though. Just checking.)
In the owner’s manual, PLG100x boards are mentioned, yes. But would plg150x boards work on it? Would it do any harm to the modules or the MU128 itself, if I installed the modules (150VL, 150DX, 150AN)into the MU128?

Another thing… I intend to use the module on stage, in live performance. But its outputs are RCA! Does it make any sound/volume loss?

P.S. I intend to use a stereo phono 1/4”<=>RCA cable.

Any response is appriciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2012 @ 07:52 PM
Kahnn
Joined  05-28-2011

Really? No answer???

Do I have to just try-and-see??? Risking the boards?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 10, 2012 @ 08:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The PLG150 Boards will work in the MU128 without a problem.

The PLG Boards served many different series of Yamaha products during their decade long history in production. And depending on what product you place them in you are likely to get differences in how the data is addressed. The PLG100 series were developed for the Yamaha XG/Style based products and XG compatible modules. These included the MU-series (90, 100, 100R, 1000, 2000), the SW computer board, the high-end PSR9000. The PLG150 series boards were specifically developed for the MSPS (Modular Synthesis Plug-in System) products which included the S80/S30-series, S90, S90 ES, the CS6X and CS6R, the Motif, Motif-Rack, Motif ES, Motif-Rack ES.

The difference is the XG products, in general, do not have storable Voice banks - where the synthesis products addressed the PLG boards via storable/recallable/customizable Voices. The PLG150 series boards, when plugged into one of the MSPS products, would be automatically detected on power up on and the product would recall a special bank of Preset Voice from its ROM for that specific board type/in the specific slot.

But no harm will come to either the product or the board if you use them in the other type of product.

If you place a PLG100 synth board in a Motif-Rack for example - there are no special Voices that get loaded. Only the PLG150 series synth boards in the Motif-Rack will trigger the access of the Voices specially prepared with Motif effects.

The MU128 can use the PLG150 - but it has no special Voice data prepared for any of the boards (so it simply does not address that feature - it has no ability to see it or use it).

The RCA outs should not be a problem - but get a dual RCA-to-dual 1/4” phone plug.
The output is the same as a consumer tape deck (-10) your mixer should have not problem handling consumer line level signals.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF for NI
Next Topic:

Nice free VST instrument ››