mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Moving over to recording on a computer"

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 06:33 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

This thread follows a question by PeteS in another thread about my experience in moving from recording on the ES to a full DAW.

Pete, it has been a really good experience so far. I currently have Cubase 4 and am using East West Gold Orchestra, VOP and Atmosphere as plug-ins. I have to say that I have had very few problems and am enjoying using these new tools and the creative space they give. It is, of course, a big learning curve, but that is part of the fun I guess. There’s always a few issues, but with thought and advice I have been able to overcome them. By the way, I still use the ES for getting ideas together, so it still has a good role to play, but I move across to Cubase once I have the idea settled.

I read a lot about other guys’ problems but I believe that a great part of the issues are to do with trying to do too much. For me, there are three key points to make the transition as painless as possible. Firstly, get a good audio interface (I would recommend anything from RME). Secondly, make sure you have a powerful computer. I don’t know about Macs, but if you are using a pc then Quad Core if you can, and at least 2Gb of RAM. Stick with XP for the moment. Only use the computer for music, and do not load any other programmes. Do not connect to the the net, and then you also don’t need to use a virus checker. Thirdly, start simple, just the DAW, then as you get used to the issues add whatever plug-ins you need, but one at a time.

Lastly, I have to say that one of the key issues to making it easy has been the help from this forum, and especially the guidance of my good friend FrankE, who is always there to offer his very experienced and helpful advice whenever needed.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2009 @ 04:19 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

I’m on record around here warning everyone of the nightmares associated with computer DAW’s. Both of my previous Windows XP computers were a complete horror. I spent untold time and money trying to get pop/click-free recording. I was finally able to get things going, only to have something drift away after a few hours use. I finally said the heck with it and left if alone.

I now use Windows Vista on a $450 Acer PC. I have been running AI4 on this computer since November without problem, so curious, I transferred over my EMU1212m soundcard and have been running the demo version of Sonar 8PE with no problems at all. It set up fine, and loads 10 times faster than Cubase AI4. No pops, clicks, IRQ conflicts, no bus overloads, no memory holes no incompatible drivers. Nothing. It just works. 10ms latency with all sorts of things running. And it sounds really great to boot.

I spent over a grand on the last PC, and made sure it was tailored for music, with the ‘right’ motherboard, brand of memory, 7,200 RPM hard drive, etc, etc. I bought this Acer off the shelf at a discount store to do e-mail, and find that it works great for music. On Vista 32 bit, no less.

Go figure.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2009 @ 04:58 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Thanks Peter for your response. Good advice when I am ready. At this point I spent a lot of time with the ES and know it very well. I am not ready for another learning curve at the moment and want to spend time making music. Between my AW16 & ES, I am currently satisfied with what I can produce. My thinking, at this point is if I ever get someone interested in my music, I would want to take it into a pro studio. In the interim, I can produce a reasonable sounding CD.

I have thought about going to a computer, and probably will eventually. I remember when you switched over and am glad it is working out for you.

How would you compare the voices & effects plug ins to the ES voices & effects??

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2009 @ 06:58 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

There is no comparison really Pete, and that’s a key reason I moved to a computer. Sure, the ES has great Voices and effects for a workstation, but of course the nature of it means that it has limitations.

For example, my orchestral program, EWQLSO, has 33 Gb of samples. Not only do the instruments sound superb, but you have the facility to use many different articulations. For pad sounds I use Spectrasonics and that is a world ahead of the ES. Plug-in effects, such as convolution reverbs and mastering tools are getting really sophisticated too.

Bob, glad you have a good set-up now. I guess sometimes things just fit together and work well!

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2009 @ 02:34 AM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

That has been the main draw for me, although I have heard comments that the difference in voices is not all that great. I want to check out some of these voices, but most of the music stores don’t have anything set up so you can hear the computer voice banks. And what’s worse, is most of the salesman are extremely deficient in their knowledge.

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2009 @ 05:14 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

I would think that whoever said that the difference in voices is not all that great has listened to the wrong thing.

I agree that most music shops do not have good demos set up, and yes, many of the staff have little idea of the products. However, many of the manufacturers have good demos on their sites.

I am not sure what music you do, but just to get a view of good orchestral samples take a listen to the demos on the Soundsonline site. Check out the wav demos rather than mp3 and use head sets. I think you will be impressed!

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 07:39 AM
J Boz
Total Posts:  529
Joined  02-17-2009

wow, that demo is awesome. those sounds are amazing....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 01:42 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

And speaking of computer sounds etc. vs. hardware, as well as the EW demos that Peter mentioned, I invite all non-believers :) to check out the 2008 (computer) synth of the year...Omnisphere. Sometimes I simply ‘leave the world around me and enter another dimension’ when I’m playing it (no comments please! :) ), and the sound quality is “superb”. But don’t take my word for it.....c/o the reviews, demo it via someone who has it, watch the videos. If it doesn’t drag someone into the world of computers and computer software, nothing will. And it’s a perfect compliment to EWQLSO that Peter mentioned, and some of the other EW libraries as well. (And if we ever get signature files working in this forum, we’ll be able to see what libraries each of us is using).

I do understand one’s reluctance about using computers...my partner considers them to be nothing more than a necessary evil, .....devices that are made simply to annoy her. :) On the other hand, it seems sometimes that they are at the core of my musical world, and so much is based around them. Love them or hate them, they can still prove to be tools worth exploring...............frank

PS: Thank you Peter for your very kind comments and thoughts; much appreciated, mate!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Anybody experienced with recording the analog output
into a PC running (e.g.) AUDACITY?

I did not do much but it seems to record well.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Honesty Anyone?
Next Topic:

I’m finally logged in with a new user name! ››