mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“Not dead yet”.  Preserving my XF?  Old guy questions"

Posted on: August 29, 2018 @ 10:04 PM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

I’m the original owner of an early production XF8 that I love.  At 51, I don’t see myself swapping it out and starting again with another instrument (although I’m loving the Korg Kronos I got last fall....great compliment to the Motif, IMO).

On to my point...if I’m looking to keep working with my Motif for the next 10+ years or so, what physical ailments should I be looking to prevent?  For example, is there a battery on board for memory that I should proactively replace?  Will my flash memory last that long?  Will the key bed March on as it has?  Are there other components I should look to replace soon to ensure the longevity I desire? 

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and coaching here!  Love this instrument and want it to last.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2018 @ 11:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
zippydog - 29 August 2018 10:04 PM

I’m the original owner of an early production XF8 that I love.  At 51,

Old guy? Nah, I have very nearly two decades on you.

zippydog -

I don’t see myself swapping it out and starting again with another instrument (although I’m loving the Korg Kronos I got last fall....great compliment to the Motif, IMO).

On to my point...if I’m looking to keep working with my Motif for the next 10+ years or so, what physical ailments should I be looking to prevent?  For example, is there a battery on board for memory that I should proactively replace?

There’s no battery. User memory is in non-volatile flash ROM on the main board.

zippydog -

Will my flash memory last that long?

Time alone doesn’t tend to physically degrade flash memory. A large number of Program/Erase (P/E) cycles can eventually cause failure. However, the chips used on the modules are rated for at least 100,000 P/E cycles. Of course, premature failures can occur, but at least 10-20 years of trouble-free operation wouldn’t surprise me.

zippydog -

Will the key bed March on as it has?

How hard do you play? For that matter, you have no way to be certain about that with respect to a used XF. Yamaha keybeds tend to be pretty reliable if not abused, but I don’t think their lifespan can be predicted with certainty.

zippydog -

Are there other components I should look to replace soon to ensure the longevity I desire? 

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and coaching here!  Love this instrument and want it to last.

I don’t think there’s much to consider in terms of preventive maintenance. Avoid plugging XF outputs into mixer inputs having phantom power turned on. In evaluating a used XF, I’d check for leaky output muting transistors, and maybe put it through the built-in diagnostics - but that would require a cooperative seller and your actual presence. That might make a purchase even more difficult to accomplish.

May you and your XF(s) live long and prosper.  :-)

[ Ignore ]