mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Should be a simple solution but…pff"

Posted on: March 27, 2018 @ 06:59 PM
Ed S
Total Posts:  40
Joined  02-16-2018

Hi everyone,

I’ve altered an default instrument in the MOXF VST to be used as a deep bass-sound. So far I managed to change the attack (time when I press the key) and the ‘release?’ time that the sound stays audible after the key is released.

I would (very much) like to control the audio-time even when I keep the key pressed (like a bass-guitar slowly fading). I’ve searched the forum but didn’t find any solution. See screenshots below.
I would appreciate your help / advice.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my lousy English ;-)

Ed

Image Attachments
ScreenHunter_002.jpgScreenHunter_008.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2018 @ 10:12 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It appears that you’re starting with Voice PRE9 F15 PWM Picks AF1+AF2. (For anyone with a Motif XF who wants to follow along, this is factory User Voice USR1 F15).

It’s unclear to me exactly what you’re attempting to do. The Voice in question has five Elements, and the characteristics change significantly when the AF buttons are pressed. The Editor screen capture you posted shows the Common General Parameters, which don’t reveal anything about attack and release.

In addition, this Voice defaults to running an Arp, and has a Common LFO modulating the Filter. Have you turned off or otherwise defeated the Arp? Have you defeated or reduced the Depth of the Common LFO? Are you working only with Element 1, and ignoring the other four Elements and their contributions to the Voice when the AF buttons are pushed?

I hope you understand that it’s rather difficult to help you accomplish your goal with the information we have so far, and even with additional information it might not be that simple. I’d start by dealing with the Arp and Common LFO. Then you could edit the attack, decay, and release Parameters of the Amplitude and Frequency Envelopes to suit your needs.

If you don’t already have the MOXF6/MOXF8 Synthesizer Parameter Manual, you might find it helpful:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60487

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2018 @ 01:38 AM
Ed S
Joined  02-16-2018

Thanks for your reply,

Sorry but I lost you reading the second part of your reply. As a absolute beginner with attempting to change the ‘release-time’ of a tone I’m not familiar with terms like LFO, Arp etc.

I understand the part where you mention the voice has 5 elements so there is more then one element to be adjusted right?

I’d like to alter the fading (part) of the voice so that it fades slowly like a Piano when a key is (stays) pressed. I think I know there’s an “Attack, sustain, release or decay” to be modified but I still can’t figure out witch of these I need to adjust and where I can adjust it.

I already tried to turn off each element separately to hear the difference but the voice itself stays active as long as I keep the key pressed. I also can’t find any clear info in the manual.
Please let me know what information your missing so I can add some screenshots to clarify my request.

Greetz,

Ed

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2018 @ 06:38 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Ed S - 28 March 2018 01:38 AM

Thanks for your reply,

You’re welcome.

Sorry but I lost you reading the second part of your reply. As a absolute beginner with attempting to change the ‘release-time’ of a tone I’m not familiar with terms like LFO, Arp etc.

Arp = Arpeggio.
LFO = Low Frequency Oscillator

These and many other terms are defined/explained in the Synthesizer Parameter Manual, which I previously provided a link to. Please download and read it if you’d like to become more familiar with the terminology.

I understand the part where you mention the voice has 5 elements so there is more then one element to be adjusted right?

What might need to be adjusted depends on your intended use of the Voice. If you want operation of the AF buttons to cause a particular change on the Voice, then it’s likely that all five of the Elements will need to have certain Parameters edited. For now, you might want to concentrate on Element 1.

I’d like to alter the fading (part) of the voice so that it fades slowly like a Piano when a key is (stays) pressed. I think I know there’s an “Attack, sustain, release or decay” to be modified but I still can’t figure out witch of these I need to adjust and where I can adjust it.

I already tried to turn off each element separately to hear the difference but the voice itself stays active as long as I keep the key pressed. I also can’t find any clear info in the manual.
Please let me know what information your missing so I can add some screenshots to clarify my request.

With the Common LFO running, it will likely be difficult to determine how to set the AEG and FEG envelopes (attack, etc.). I suggest that the Depth be turned down, at least temporarily. Also, the Arp should be turned off for now, if you haven’t already done that.

See [F5] LFO beginning on page 33 of the MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478), and in particular the [SF4] BOX section on page 34.

With the Arp off and the LFO defeated, it should be possible to better hear what’s going on with the envelopes. Reading the Parameter Manual should help you in finding settings appropriate to your needs. Experiment - you won’t break anything, and it’s the best way to learn.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2018 @ 10:18 PM
Ed S
Joined  02-16-2018

Thanks for the information, I’ll look in to it.

I accidentally came up with this (bass) voice composing a rather epic piece but it’s not my intention to alter every instrument I encounter. The MOXF as well as other VST’s (Hallion3) that I use have more then enough instruments to choose from. This sound on the other hand, is a very deep “James Horner” like bass sound (the kind you can feel in your stomach). Until now I didn’t find any Bass sound like the one I try to adjust right now.
For now I’ll try to experiment with the info you gave me (element1). However, if you have suggestions or now sounds on the MOXF or HAllion I could also use as Bass sound your more then welcome to share the information.

Thanks again for your reply,
Greetz,
Ed

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Chords
Next Topic:

Chord recognition in XS-type arpeggios ››