mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motifxf8 to moxf8 comparison"

Posted on: May 13, 2017 @ 09:03 PM
toddc
Total Posts:  23
Joined  09-19-2011

I have owned a motifxf8 for several years and absolutely love it.  I am a jazz player and use it for live gigs and recording demo tracks with the sequencer. However, because it is such a heavy beast to lug around, I am considering switching to the lighter moxf8. But I need to make sure the mofx can do what I need, so your input would be very helpful.

1. The moxf8 advantage is the much lighter weight.  On the downside, it has a reduced visual display and fewer effects (only chorus and reverb).  But it appears to have the exact same selection of voices/arpeggios, the same weighted keyboard, and the same 16 track sequencer as the motifx.  Is this correct?

2. Is there any difference in the amount of onboard memory available for storing patterns and songs between the motif and moxf?

3. With my motifxf in Performance mode, I use two volume pedals (Expression and FC2) so that I can bring in different parts layered on different parts of the keyboard.  With the moxf, can I use the assignable foot switch jack to control a second volume pedal in performance mode?

4. On the motifxf in Performance mode, the volume for each of the 4 performance parts are controlled by the 1-4 faders in real time.  Is there a way to use the knobs on the moxf to control the volume of the 4 parts of a performance in real time?  I am assuming there has to be some way to do this, as it is a necessary feature for layering parts in a live performance. 

Thanks so much for your help with these questions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2017 @ 08:46 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
toddc - 13 May 2017 09:03 PM

On the downside, it has a reduced visual display and fewer effects (only chorus and reverb). 

The effects are the same...global chorus and reverb and 8 inserts.

But it appears to have the exact same selection of voices/arpeggios, the same weighted keyboard, and the same 16 track sequencer as the motifx.

Not sure if the keyboard is identical, but it is a weighted action.

With the moxf, can I use the assignable foot switch jack to control a second volume pedal in performance mode?

No, it only supports a switch not a continuous pedal.

Is there a way to use the knobs on the moxf to control the volume of the 4 parts of a performance in real time?

You can control volume and pan of one part of a Performance at a time, rather than all four parts being available at once like the XF. You must select the part first, make the tweak, select the next part, etc. So it’s possible but not as convenient. If common is selected, the same knobs control the overall volume and pan of all parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2017 @ 10:02 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014
meatballfulton - 14 May 2017 08:46 AM

Is there a way to use the knobs on the moxf to control the volume of the 4 parts of a performance in real time?

You can control volume and pan of one part of a Performance at a time, rather than all four parts being available at once like the XF. You must select the part first, make the tweak, select the next part, etc. So it’s possible but not as convenient. If common is selected, the same knobs control the overall volume and pan of all parts.

Actually, if one presses both of the ‘row selection knobs’ at the same time, the 8 knobs turns into Volume and Pan for the 4 parts.

One difference between the keybed of Motif and MoXF will be that afaik, the Motif has aftertouch, the MoXF has not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2017 @ 10:48 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
meatballfulton - 14 May 2017 08:46 AM
toddc - 13 May 2017 09:03 PM

But it appears to have the exact same selection of voices/arpeggios, the same weighted keyboard, and the same 16 track sequencer as the motifx.

Not sure if the keyboard is identical, but it is a weighted action.

Weighted, yes. Same, no.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474224

[ Ignore ]