mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif vs Cubase Arpeggiators?"

Posted on: April 17, 2016 @ 09:52 PM
Michael Trigoboff
Total Posts:  647
Joined  09-05-2011

Today I started learning how to use the arpeggiators in Cubase. They are: Arpache 5 and Arpache SX. They are used by applying them as MIDI Inserts to a MIDI track. So far, after about an hour, I’ve figured out how to get them to work in my project.

Meanwhile, the XF provides many built-in arpeggios, and in addition you can define your own user arpeggios via the “Put Track to Arpeggio” job.

I have tended to either use the built-in arpeggios that come with various XF Performances, or to create my own on the XF when I need to. What I haven’t done is search through the thousands(?) of built-in arpeggios to find one I like because it takes too long and gets really confusing and boring.

I’m curious what folks around here think about whether it’s better to do arpeggios via the facilities in the XF vs what Cubase provides. And I’d also be interested in hearing about any other thoughts people might have about effectively and efficiently working with arpeggios.

Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 12:17 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014
Michael Trigoboff - 17 April 2016 09:52 PM

… And I’d also be interested in hearing about any other thoughts people might have about effectively and efficiently working with arpeggios.…

(This came to mind, when reading that. Even though I know it’s not what you asked for.)

relaxed hand & wrist, mindful finger-body placements, slow until, fast feels the same, and for extended fun ones, thumb under.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2016 @ 03:34 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Hi Michael, as another viewpoint on the use of arpeggios as a compositional aid…

A big personal benefit of the Motif line (including MOX/F) arpeggios is that they have been designed by folks who have studied genres/subgenres, and the PERFORMANCE examples highlight different ways to use them in combination - straight genre/subgenre “style” (many lifted from PSR/Tyros styles), related sub-genre mixed styles, and so on.  Ability to select ES vs XS arpeggio type...then, transfer them to PATTERNS via DIRECT PERFORMANCE RECORD.

However, I don’t bother with creating user arpeggios in the MOX as there are much more robust pattern sequencer VST plugin tools out there.

You might want to check out (try before buy), in order of my preference:

-7Aliens “Catanya”
- Kirnu’s “Cream”
- xferrecords’ Cthulhu

I use these VST to “translate” into Midi ideas I get from other sources, mainly EDM-oriented sound packs of apps like Maschine2 (Windows, iOS), Launchpad (iOS).

Cheers.

P.S Can’t speak to Cubase’s arpeggiator plug-in(s), but I imagine I could use them the same way as the three I’ve linked to.

[ Ignore ]