mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I load an mp3 and record on top of it?"

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 04:34 PM
kevland1
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  11-06-2005

This is a noob question but I am not understanding something. I did buy the 1GB of memory and installed it.
I recorded a “song” using Performances. I actually recorded 5 songs using the different Arp patterns, saved them as an mp3 on a stick and then loaded the mp3 files into my computer and then edited them together in ProTools to make a 60 second piece.
Can I load the finished mp3 file back into the XS and add more parts (Voices)?

I have not used my XS since I upgraded to the new software and when I bought the XS (the day it came out) recording mp3’s was not supported by the original software. So my Manual does not cover this option.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 07:04 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You can’t LOAD an mp3 into the machine, but you could convert it to a .WAV or .AIF file and then LOAD it.

As to the larger question:  Yes, you can get audio into the machine (either as a .WAV or .AIF file, or by sampling directly into the XS), and then “record on top of it”.

Are you familiar at all with the Sampling Sequencer?  Have you seen This Document yet?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 07:14 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Since OS version 1.50 of the XS you can record a .WAV file (but not .MP3) directly onto a USB flash drive. Also, as cmayhle wrote, you can’t directly load an MP3 into the XS, but you can a WAV file.

Here’s information concerning OS 1.50 and 1.60 that’s not in the Owner’s Manual:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/motifxs_en_add_v150a0.pdf
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/motifxs_nf_v160_en.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 08:01 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

So, for the future...per 5pinDIN pointing out that with the 1.50 update you can record directly to a .WAV on USB...you wouldn’t need to go to mp3 and then back to .WAV to put your work back into the machine.

I am guessing there is some particular reason...polyphony maybe?...that prevents you from doing all of this recording and editing inside the machine using MIDI?  Then, you would not need to deal with the audio at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 08:08 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

Thanks to both of you for replying - I know my profile says I am a “Guru” but I have not been here in years and have forgotten most of what I knew.

SO -

1. I can save my “Song” to a USB stick as an mp3
2. import the mp3 into ProTools and convert it to a WAV file
3. Do my editing in PTools
4. Save fnal as a .WAV
5. load it onto the USB stick
6. Load the .WAV file into the XS
7. Bring up the new file in Song mode again?
8. Add more parts (like a horn section) in Song mode/Sequencer/with Mixing mode?

I guess I could buy a used mLan card for cheap and bring audio into the Mac - but I don’t know if it works with ProTools. I still have my Cubase AI4 disc and Tutorial that came in the XSpand your World DVD collection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 08:16 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
kevland1 - 07 January 2015 08:08 PM

Thanks to both of you for replying - I know my profile says I am a “Guru” but I have not been here in years and have forgotten most of what I knew.

SO -

1. I can save my “Song” to a USB stick as an mp3
2. import the mp3 into ProTools and convert it to a WAV file
3. Do my editing in PTools
4. Save fnal as a .WAV
5. load it onto the USB stick
6. Load the .WAV file into the XS
7. Bring up the new file in Song mode again?
8. Add more parts (like a horn section) in Song mode/Sequencer/with Mixing mode?

I guess I could buy a used mLan card for cheap and bring audio into the Mac - but I don’t know if it works with ProTools. I still have my Cubase AI4 disc and Tutorial that came in the XSpand your World DVD collection.

No, not exactly.  As 5pinDIN pointed out, you can record to USB as a .WAV (not mp3) and then proceed from there.

So...you can take the whole mp3 thing out of the mix...so to speak!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 09:49 PM
kevland1
Joined  11-06-2005

cmayle,

I really do not want to work with MIDI in Protools or on a computer. Besides, I would be adding analog guitar parts to my XS track in ProTools and then dumping the finished .WAV file back into the XS.
I mostly just wanted to know that after I put a ProTools adjusted WAV file back on the USB and then put the USB stick back into the XS if I could download the WAV file into “Song” or even “Pattern” and start adding new XS voices to the file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2015 @ 10:26 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
kevland1 - 07 January 2015 09:49 PM

cmayle,

I really do not want to work with MIDI in Protools or on a computer. Besides, I would be adding analog guitar parts to my XS track in ProTools and then dumping the finished .WAV file back into the XS.
I mostly just wanted to know that after I put a ProTools adjusted WAV file back on the USB and then put the USB stick back into the XS if I could download the WAV file into “Song” or even “Pattern” and start adding new XS voices to the file.

Well, you can certainly incorporate audio with your sequences.  Probably best to keep it .WAV straight through the process.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Firewire and USB interconnectivity on the XS
Next Topic:

Footcontroler Leslie Organ Sound ››