mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi Connecting Alesis Vortex Wireless to MOXF6"

Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 09:08 PM
richmosar
Total Posts:  21
Joined  11-18-2005

I just bought an Alesis Vortex Wireless keytar and was hoping that I could just plug the USB wireless receiver for the Vortex into the back of the MOXF6, however the MOXF6 then displays “Incompatible MIDI Device”.  Is what I am trying possible or am I doing something wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 09:38 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
richmosar - 10 October 2014 09:08 PM

I just bought an Alesis Vortex Wireless keytar and was hoping that I could just plug the USB wireless receiver for the Vortex into the back of the MOXF6, however the MOXF6 then displays “Incompatible MIDI Device”.  Is what I am trying possible or am I doing something wrong?

The Owner’s Manual doesn’t list the message you quoted. Does it possibly display “Incompatible USB Device”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 10, 2014 @ 11:54 PM
richmosar
Joined  11-18-2005

Yes, that was the message, sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 08:07 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
richmosar - 10 October 2014 11:54 PM

Yes, that was the message, sorry.

No problem - I just wanted to make sure, so that my reply was accurate.

Excerpts from http://www.alesis.com/vortex-wireless
- USB dongle creates a wireless connection to any Mac or PC
- USB and traditional MIDI jacks for use with virtually any synth, sound module, or other MIDI hardware or software

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470785/
The same applies to the USB Wireless dongle. You could attach the dongle to a computer, and use an appropriate program to route the MIDI data to the MOXF via a wired connection.

An alternative to using a computer is to get a MIDI USB Host adapter.
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472964
That should work, since according to Alesis (referring to the Vortex Wireless),
This product is class compliant; it does not require drivers”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 08:39 PM
richmosar
Joined  11-18-2005

THanks for the reply.  I looked for the Kenton device online but no one seems to sell it anymore.  Google did retrieve the “iConnectivity iConnectMIDI2+ USB MIDI interface” in my search results. 

I’m wondering if this would work being connected to my MOX though, without the use of an iPad or ios device?

I’m really sorry I got rid of my M-Audio MidAir when I sold my AX-7 a while back.  No one seems to sell anything comparable to the Midair anymore.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 09:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
richmosar - 11 October 2014 08:39 PM

THanks for the reply.  I looked for the Kenton device online but no one seems to sell it anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301293334777?lpid=82

richmosar -

Google did retrieve the “iConnectivity iConnectMIDI2+ USB MIDI interface” in my search results.

I’m wondering if this would work being connected to my MOX though, without the use of an iPad or ios device?

No, that won’t work. It looks like the iConnectMIDI has been discontinued, and the iConnectMIDI4+ is the current model that can act as USB host. Unfortunately, it seems to retail for about what the Vortex Wireless costs. You might find a cheap/used laptop computer that would do the job for less.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 11:43 PM
richmosar
Joined  11-18-2005

Darn, I was really hoping to forgo the computer so as not to have to drag that to gigs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2014 @ 11:50 PM
richmosar
Joined  11-18-2005

Ah, I see the link to Ebay for the Kenton device.  I think I will give that a shot as I’d really like to go wireless and I don’t want to lug a laptop to gigs. 

Thanks much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 07:48 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
richmosar - 11 October 2014 11:50 PM

Ah, I see the link to Ebay for the Kenton device.  I think I will give that a shot as I’d really like to go wireless and I don’t want to lug a laptop to gigs. 

Thanks much!

You’re welcome - I hope that works out for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 10:10 AM
DschoKeys
Total Posts:  109
Joined  07-08-2005

You can also get it here: Kenton MIDI USB Host

All the best, :)

Jo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 10:16 AM
jwatilo
Total Posts:  32
Joined  12-31-2013

iConnectMIDI is alive and well:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=iConnectMIDI&sb=low2high

One of these is a MUCH better value than the overpriced Kenton device, IMHO…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2014 @ 08:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jwatilo - 12 October 2014 10:16 AM

The original iConnectMIDI has been discontinued. Which of the models you provided a link to can act as a USB host?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 02:20 PM
jwatilo
Total Posts:  32
Joined  12-31-2013
5pinDIN - 12 October 2014 08:34 PM
jwatilo - 12 October 2014 10:16 AM

The original iConnectMIDI has been discontinued. Which of the models you provided a link to can act as a USB host?

It looks like the 4+ models can for $199.  I thought the cheaper ones could, too, but looks like I was wrong.  For the extra money, you’re getting a heck of a bang for the buck and an infinitely more useful device.

Granted, I don’t have one of these yet, so I don’t speak from actual experience, but it’s on my wish list.  I recommend visiting the iConnect website and doing the research for yourself…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 04:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jwatilo - 13 October 2014 02:20 PM

It looks like the 4+ models can for $199.  I thought the cheaper ones could, too, but looks like I was wrong.  For the extra money, you’re getting a heck of a bang for the buck and an infinitely more useful device.

Granted, I don’t have one of these yet, so I don’t speak from actual experience, but it’s on my wish list.  I recommend visiting the iConnect website and doing the research for yourself…

Yes, I had previously visited the iConnectivity website, that’s why I posted that the iConnectMIDI4+ was the model that could do what richmosar needed. Whether the additional functionality of that model is worth the expense over the price that the Kenton unit was going for on eBay is a personal decision, of course.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2014 @ 05:59 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

5pinDIN - 13 October 2014 04:27 PM
jwatilo - 13 October 2014 02:20 PM

Yes, I had previously visited the iConectivity website, that’s why I posted that the iConnectMIDI4+ was the model that could do what richmosar needed. Whether the additional functionality of that model is worth the expense over the price that the Kenton unit was going for on eBay is a personal decision, of course.

I really don’t know why they have discontinued iConnectMIDI. Although several people including myself have posted about problems regarding working with some Yamaha gear, the best thing is that USB controllers could be tied together without having standard 5pin MIDI. Device that looks to be the replacement have only standard MIDI ports, so the main reason for using such device is gone. I think that only iCM4+ should be considered. It’s my opinion.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2018 @ 10:40 PM
Jimski
Total Posts:  8
Joined  10-05-2015

Apologies for bumping and old thread but I can confirm that you can use the iConnectMIDI4+ to connect the Vortex Wireless to the MOXF and control the MOXF SOUNDS ETC via the Vortex Wiress.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase Drum-Maps for MOXF
Next Topic:

Editing and storing Arpeggios for newbees... ››