mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Want a free app for your MOX?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 03:40 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

A few weeks ago I asked for some ALL files from a factory reset MOX so that I could examine the file format. The purpose was to learn enough about MOX files so that an application could be created that would extract the Master, Voice, Performance, etc., data and present it in text format.

Forum members philwoodmusic and jazz.preest responded. I appreciate their assistance.

I’m very close to having enough information for the app. I’ve already programmed a version that works, minus some details, and I’ve attached a sample text file produced by it. It’s missing Arps and some Song/Pattern-related things, which I’d include if I could refer to some MOX files with that kind of data.

If any MOX owners are interested in seeing the app finished, please help. I need the following:

1) An ALL file with three or four Mixing Templates that are named (as per pages 126-127 of the Reference Manual).

2) An ALL file with three or four User Arps (Reference Manual pages 125-126).

3) An ALL file with a few Mixings that, if the MOX allows, are named - it’s unclear from the manuals whether the MOX permits naming Mixings.

Other than what’s mentioned above, the files don’t have to be special. The Templates don’t have to be useful, just named. The User Arps can be anything. Three separate ALL files aren’t required - if everything is included in one file, that would be great. If you can provide an ALL file that covers just one or two of my requests, that would be a big help as well.

Thanks.

File Attachments
MOX_ALL_factory.X4A.txt  (File Size: 32KB - Downloads: 600)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 11:12 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 19 March 2014 03:40 AM

3) An ALL file with a few Mixings that, if the MOX allows, are named - it’s unclear from the manuals whether the MOX permits naming Mixings.

On reviewing John Melas’ Total Library, I notice the Song and Pattern Mixes didn’t have names.  In response to my email, John stated that those names aren’t available; maybe a follow up with him in case I asked the wrong question.

If you can provide an ALL file that covers just one or two of my requests, that would be a big help as well.

Will do tonite for item 1&2;and include in ALL file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2014 @ 12:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 19 March 2014 11:12 AM

On reviewing John Melas’ Total Library, I notice the Song and Pattern Mixes didn’t have names.  In response to my email, John stated that those names aren’t available; maybe a follow up with him in case I asked the wrong question.

It appears that although there are spaces for names in those areas of the MOX files, they’re blank in every file I’ve seen. Yamaha may have decided that since a Mixing is associated with a particular Song or Pattern, it wasn’t necessary to name it separately.

jazz.preest -

If you can provide an ALL file that covers just one or two of my requests, that would be a big help as well.

Will do tonite for item 1&2;and include in ALL file.

Thanks, that should help me move forward.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 04:39 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013

1) An ALL file with three or four Mixing Templates that are named (as per pages 126-127 of the Reference Manual).

Used MOX Factory Default Patterns 1 thru 3; saved the mixes to the first three template locations using the same names:
01 Contemporary R&B;02 Flip Hop
03 Hip Hop 1

2) An ALL file with three or four User Arps (Reference Manual pages 125-126).

Used same 4 measure drum pattern (section A), saved to three different user arpeggios (checked in VST Editor, 3 arps in user arpeggio bank).
USERARP1
USERARP2
USERARP3

File Attachments
MOXALL01.zip  (File Size: 315KB - Downloads: 342)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 05:13 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 20 March 2014 04:39 AM

Used MOX Factory Default Patterns 1 thru 3; saved the mixes to the first three template locations using the same names:
01 Contemporary R&B;02 Flip Hop
03 Hip Hop 1

Thanks for the file. Sorry, but I wasn’t clear - I need for the Templates to be named other than with the original names.

Used same 4 measure drum pattern (section A), saved to three different user arpeggios (checked in VST Editor, 3 arps in user arpeggio bank).
USERARP1
USERARP2
USERARP3

One further request. Could you make an ALL ARPEGGIO (.X4G) file with those as well?

The help is appreciated. I’m making good progress with understanding the MOX file format and with the application.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 07:01 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 20 March 2014 05:13 AM

I need for the Templates to be named other than with the original names.

UserMix1
UserMix2
UserMix3

Just curious; Aren’t the Mix Templates saved to the “system”, and just override the available slots?  If so, won’t the three new names just replace the original three?

One further request. Could you make an ALL ARPEGGIO (.X4G) file with those as well?

Zip file contains two files - ALL & AllArp…

Cheers.

File Attachments
MOXALL&ARP02.zip  (File Size: 317KB - Downloads: 365)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 12:33 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 20 March 2014 07:01 AM

UserMix1
UserMix2
UserMix3

Just curious; Aren’t the Mix Templates saved to the “system”, and just override the available slots?  If so, won’t the three new names just replace the original three?

Yes, that’s true, and it’s the reason a file with other names is helpful. I wanted to make sure that when I chose another file I was seeing the change. That ensures the app isn’t retaining strings obtained from a previous file.

jazz.preest -

Zip file contains two files - ALL & AllArp…

Cheers.

Thanks much, progressing nicely.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 03:39 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

@jazz.preest

Just so you don’t think you’re alone or that I’m ignoring the request, I’ve already sent my files to 5pinDIN.

With both our sets of files, I’m sure there’s much more scope for better ‘quality assurance testing’.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 03:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 20 March 2014 03:39 PM

@jazz.preest

Just so you don’t think you’re alone or that I’m ignoring the request, I’ve sent my files to 5pinDIN

With both our sets of files, I’m sure there’s much more scope for better quality assurance testing.

Cheers!

Yes, philwoodmusic has made his available privately, and I’m grateful that both of you have helped. I had made some initial assumptions, and the app seemed to work properly with the files I had. When I received more files, it became evident that my code didn’t work in every case. I think I’ve resolved the problem(s) now, but if anyone else would like to post a few files, that would help me to be certain.

There are still two types of data in the files (realted to Songs and Patterns) that I haven’t determined the purpose of. I’m hoping that another look at the format might help…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2014 @ 11:03 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
philwoodmusic - 20 March 2014 03:39 PM

@jazz.preest

Just so you don’t think you’re alone or that I’m ignoring the request, I’ve already sent my files to 5pinDIN.

With both our sets of files, I’m sure there’s much more scope for better ‘quality assurance testing’.

Cheers!

Hey, Phil,

Yes, indeed, 5PinDin seems quite quality-oriented; am a systems integrator myself, so very much appreciated.

Nice to meet a fellow MOX’er…

Cheers!

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 04:34 AM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

Are there any specifications for the various Motif series file formats? I think it is Yamaha-YSFC file format. How do you examine them and make sense? I am interested of a similar tool for MX series.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 05:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
KostasT - 21 March 2014 04:34 AM

Are there any specifications for the various Motif series file formats? I think it is Yamaha-YSFC file format. How do you examine them and make sense? I am interested of a similar tool for MX series.

See links in this thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/471526/

You could ask Yamaha for help, such as they have previously provided to some developers. An SDK might be available.

I could examine an X5A file to see if it’s anything like the MOX or other formats I’m familiar with. If you post such a file, please do so in the MX Series forum (I’ll look for it there within the next day or so) - not in this thread, please.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 05:59 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 20 March 2014 11:03 PM

[...] 5PinDin seems quite quality-oriented; am a systems integrator myself, so very much appreciated. [...]

I’m certainly trying to produce something that will perform well.  :-)

In that spirit, I have another request. For Mixing Voices in an ALL file from a factory reset MOX, I’m finding…
01 Dee Tune
02 Chili Bass
03 Saw destroy
04 Lazerzz
... but that’s not the whole of it.

Would someone please post the related Song or Pattern number and name for each of those Mixing Voices?

That should help me identify and pull the information from a MOX file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 08:25 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 21 March 2014 05:59 AM

Would someone please post the related Song or Pattern number and name for each of those Mixing Voices?

That should help me identify and pull the information from a MOX file.

Your mixing voice list are the MV’s in Song 03 (Laser Beam)
Part 4 Dee Tune
Part 8 Chili Bass
Part 14 Saw Destroy
Part 16 Lazerzz

These are the only mixing voices I could find in the default songs & patterns…

Here’s the link to my dropbox folder with VST Editor snapshots of all 6 songs & patterns just in case you need more data…

MOX Songs & Patterns

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 10:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 21 March 2014 08:25 AM

Your mixing voice list are the MV’s in Song 03 (Laser Beam)
Part 4 Dee Tune
Part 8 Chili Bass
Part 14 Saw Destroy
Part 16 Lazerzz

These are the only mixing voices I could find in the default songs & patterns…

Thanks for that and the screen shots.

By the way, I seem to have the Mixing Templates and Arps being read correctly now. Closer and closer…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 01:46 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Better, but still not quite there yet.

It’s now…
Mixing Voices:
Song/Pttn:03 001 Dee Tune
Song/Pttn:03 008 Chili Bass
Song/Pttn:03 014 Saw destroy
Song/Pttn:03 016 Lazerzz
...because with jazz.preest‘s helpful post, I found where the the Song/Pattern number and Mixing Voice number reside in the files.

However, it’s “Song/Pattern” because I haven’t yet found where that’s determined - and I haven’t found where the Part numbers are located, either.

Anyone got a MOX file with a Pattern or two that uses Mixing Voices?

For those who are interested, I’ve attached a file where the progress can be seen.

File Attachments
MOXALL02.X4A.txt  (File Size: 33KB - Downloads: 645)
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ confusion with mox8 to Cubase connecting?
Next Topic:

MOX6 and Cubase Recording ››