mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "confusion with mox8 to Cubase connecting?"

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 07:11 AM
johnyymox
Total Posts:  31
Joined  02-18-2014

I have a few saved patterns in my mox8.  What setup mode do i need to be in to print both midi and audio into Cubase? 
And, further, I’ve created a few patterns from performances.  How can I route the 4 channels of midi and audio all at once into Cuabse Le Al Elements 6?

Please! help…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 07:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a few saved patterns in my mox8.  What setup mode do i need to be in to print both midi and audio into Cubase?

You can setup to record both MIDI and Audio in any mode you wish… Which one you use will really depend on what you want to do with the data you record.

We’ll explain. There is no reaso to record both MIDI and audio simultaneously into Cubase. Although you can, it really doesn’t serve a purpose. MIDI data is recorded for a specific reason… It is the format where you have the most flexibility in editing for corrections in playing of the musical part, flexibility in even selection of the sound itself. While data is MIDI, you can still easily edit the pitch, the timing, the Voice selection. Although you can do similar things in the audio world, let’s just say MIDI excells in this type of “change your mind” stage of the production.

And while your musical performance is MIDI data, it is recommended that you make such changes, before committing to it, as audio. Audio being a more permanent state of your musical performance. So in most cases, you would only commit to audio after you’ve had a chance to complete you editing as MIDI data.

If you change the MIDI data you will only need to re-record the audio data to document the changes.

The MOX outputs MIDI and Audio in all modes: Voice, Performance, Song, and Pattern.
Yes, they both travel through the single USB cable to their respective destinations.

Things to consider:
In Voice mode and Performance mode the MOX receives on a single MIDI channel.
In Song and Pattern mode the MOX can receive on as many as 16 MIDI channels, simultaneously.

If you are going to build a multi-timbral, multi-MIDI channeled sequence, you would use Song or Pattern mode, so that you can use as many as 16 Tracks to address each of your 16 available Parts.

And, further, I’ve created a few patterns from performances.  How can I route the 4 channels of midi and audio all at once into Cuabse Le Al Elements 6?

The fact that you used a MOX PERFORMANCE to create your Pattern, is of no more importance - this is because, the MOX has written what you physically played on the keyboard to four separate MIDI channels, to four separate Tracks of the sequencer.

It also copied the four PARTS of the PERFORMANCE you used to four PARTS of the PATTERN MIXING mode, and it has assigned the data from each Track so it is reunited with the Part it is intended for.

If you have Pattern that you would like to transfer as MIDI data to Cubase, you would:
Synchronize the Clocks - make Cubase the Master clock, set the MOX to MIDI SYNC = auto
Create a single Track in Cubase with the MIDI CHANNEL set to “Any”
Record the data over.

But what most do is complete a PATTERN CHAIN - which creates a linear layout of the playback order you wish to place your Sections. Cubase is mainly a linear sequencer.

You want to use CUBASE AI, not LE, not Elements… But AI, which is Advanced Integration. This means it has specific features that allow your Yamaha product to communicate with the software for advanced audio/MIDI routing, use of VSTi technology, etc.

There is no one way to work. Some methods make more sense when you define exactly what your goal is… Examples could be:

_. Transfer your MOX sequencer to take advantage of the graphical editing in the computer
_. Transfer the MOX sequence data as MIDI to create music charts using the Score feature
_. Creating a stereo audio file .wav, mp3 for distribution to friends and family
_. Multi Track recording in the computer where each Part is recorded to a separate audio track, etc

These are just a few common goals, and not even close to all the reasons you might want to move data to your computer. Say you are interested in just quickly recording a piano piece… Do you have to go to the sequencer and setup an entire MIXING setup, sync’ing clocks etc., etc., if all you want to do is play a simple piano piece?

Of course NOT. You can record from any mode. It is a matter of knowing how to route what you want OUT and how to set your DAW (Cubase) to receive what you want to capture.

A single USB cable is all that is necessary (of course) you need to hear yourself so a set of good monitor speakers connected to the outputs of your MOX, or a good set of comfortable headphones, are highly recommended. Add a microphone, and you are set to begin.

We have a basic Audio Recording tutorial here on Motifator, that walks you through some of the basic processes. It cannot cover them all but it will at least familiarize you with the parameters and how to set them to get started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 08:10 AM
johnyymox
Joined  02-18-2014

thank u so much for that in depth/immediate response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 08:15 AM
johnyymox
Joined  02-18-2014

You want to use CUBASE AI, not LE, not Elements - one question, on my desktop the Cubase program appears as
“Cubase LE AI Elements 6” Do i have to select it as AI when creating a new project?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2014 @ 02:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When you installed the program you were asked if you want to install Cubase AI6, LE6 or Elements 6 - when you launch the program it should tell you which one you installed/launched.

You want to use “AI”, it would be a real shame not to… since it has all the functions you deserve as a Yamaha MOX8 owner.

You created a MySteinberg account - contact Steinberg via email through your account, they will help you straighten out your installation, if you managed to install the wrong version or if you cannot still access AI6.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Twiddly Bits: The Funk
Next Topic:

Want a free app for your MOX? ››