mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "►Request for MOX factory ALL file◄"

Posted on: February 25, 2014 @ 12:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  10498
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m investigating the file format of the MOX, in order to compare it with those of the MOXF, XS and XF. I’d appreciate someone posting an X4A(All) file, after the MOX has been factory reset. (Of course, please save a backup of your own data first.) The X4A should be zipped in order to attach it to a post.

It would also be helpful to have X4V(All Voice), X4P(All Pattern), and X4S(All Song) files of a factory reset MOX.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 04:18 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Cheers.

File Attachments
MOXFACTORY.zip  (File Size: 542KB - Downloads: 241)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 04:41 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 09 March 2014 04:18 AM

Cheers.

Thanks to you, jazz.preest, and philwoodmusic, who privately sent me files. This will hopefully result in some software that MOX users will find helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 05:24 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 09 March 2014 04:41 AM

...This will hopefully result in some software that MOX users will find helpful.

np, 5PinDIN.

On the topic of “software MOX users will find helpful”, maybe you can point me in the right direction on a Microsoft Access application I’m working on?

For my first release, I want to:
1. Trigger a MOX Bulk Dump [GetSynthData()]
2. Load MOX Bulk Dump into relational tables [LoadSynthData()]

Re step 2,

- how do I go about learning how to translate, analyze and parse the MOX bulk dump so that I can load the Access tables?
- Are there any tools that can take a bulk dump and “translate” into meaningful alphanumeric data, e.g. voice/performance/Arpeggio/Pattern/Song names and common data, Part data, effect data and so on?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 05:56 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 09 March 2014 05:24 AM

On the topic of “software MOX users will find helpful”, maybe you can point me in the right direction on a Microsoft Access application I’m working on?

For my first release, I want to:
1. Trigger a MOX Bulk Dump [GetSynthData()]
2. Load MOX Bulk Dump into relational tables [LoadSynthData()]

Re step 2,

- how do I go about learning how to translate, analyze and parse the MOX bulk dump so that I can load the Access tables?
- Are there any tools that can take a bulk dump and “translate” into meaningful alphanumeric data, e.g. voice/performance/Arpeggio/Pattern/Song names and common data, Part data, effect data and so on?

Before I try to answer your questions…

Are you referring to Bulk Dumps of SysEx data via MIDI?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 06:21 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 09 March 2014 05:56 AM

Yes. Isn’t this the most efficient approach (vs using the saved synth files)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 06:58 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 09 March 2014 06:21 AM
5pinDIN - 09 March 2014 05:56 AM

Yes. Isn’t this the most efficient approach (vs using the saved synth files)?

As per the MOX Data List, page 102, the Bulk Dump Request message is of the form:
F0 43 2n 7F 14 ah am al F7
where n = device number
ah/am/al = high medium and low address bytes

The address bytes are in the Bulk Dump Block table on page 105.

To get a Bulk Dump of one Voice or Performance, further address information is in the MIDI Parameter Change Table (Bulk Control) on page 106.

Unless you only want to work with a limited amount of data at a time, it seems it would take quite a few requests to get the information that’s in an ALL file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 09:53 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 09 March 2014 06:58 AM

As per the MOX Data List, page 102, the Bulk Dump Request message is of the form:
F0 43 2n 7F 14 ah am al F7
where n = device number
ah/am/al = high medium and low address bytes

The address bytes are in the Bulk Dump Block table on page 105.

To get a Bulk Dump of one Voice or Performance, further address information is in the MIDI Parameter Change Table (Bulk Control) on page 106.

Unless you only want to work with a limited amount of data at a time, it seems it would take quite a few requests to get the information that’s in an ALL file.

Thanks, 5Pin, for the time and comeback. 

OK, let’s assume I want to use the ALL file to get all the information, and/or a Bulk Dump to get/put one voice or performance.

I’m probably missing something really obvious, but…

1. IF I use the ALL file (for the MOX), how do I go about using the data - what’s the format? editor to use? How to do I “Transform” the “Extract” to “Load” it into Access?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 10:19 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jazz.preest - 09 March 2014 09:53 AM

I’m probably missing something really obvious, but…

I don’t think you’re missing anything obvious. Both Yamaha and John Melas have editors that work, and they do so via MIDI. Unless Yamaha has an SDK (Software Development Kit) available or Melas wants to divulge what he knows, the Data List and your wits are the keys. The advantage to Bulk Dumps is that you can look at small, known data chunks and probably home in on what’s what.

It’s a bit of “fun” to figure out the MOX ALL file format, but it can be done. The “voice/performance/Arpeggio/Pattern/Song names” you asked about aren’t as difficult to extract as “common data, Part data, effect data and so on” might be.

I have no experience with MS Access, so I can’t comment on whether it’s practical for what you’re doing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 10:31 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013

Thanks for your time and help, 5PinDIN. 

Thinking I should investigate teaming up a few sharp students at University of Washington to cut through this Gordian Knot and build my “Extract-Transform-Load” APIs.

Microsoft Access is a relational database application with software development and SQL manipulation capabilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 11:12 AM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013
5pinDIN - 09 March 2014 10:19 AM

… The advantage to Bulk Dumps is that you can look at small, known data chunks and probably home in on what’s what…

Thanks, 5PinDIN...your observation triggered a thought and an experiment...turns out you can open both MIDI-OX (a sysex editor) and the Yamaha VST Editor at the same time. 

MIDI-OX can capture a individual voice/performance, mix or master MOX bulk dump (JOB,BULK) in its Sysex View and Scratchpad window (as well as its Monitor - Input window).

Also, any change in a parameter from the MOX will be reflected in both the Yamaha VST Editor (i.e. voice, mix) as well as in MIDI-OX, so I can isolate most of the sysex messages.

Hmmm...wonder if I can match the individual bulk dumps with Yamaha MOX file content…

Cheers.

BTW, MIDI-OX works fine as an XP compatible application on Windows 7...here’s the link for other folks who want to work with the SysEx…

http://www.midiox.com/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 11:35 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

MIDI-OX can be quite a useful tool.

For the MOX ALL files, a hex editor gets you an inside look. I use Frhed:
http://frhed.sourceforge.net/en/

If you’re not aware of Motifator member cdw‘s work on the XF/XS file formats, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/460307/

Michael Trigoboff has developed a program for extracting certain data to text for the XF and XS files, based on cdw‘s info.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471313/
I’m working on the MOX ALL file format (X4A, X4V, X4S, X4P) so that MOX capability will hopefully be incorporated into that program.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2014 @ 12:05 PM
jazz.preest
Joined  06-06-2013

Cool.  Thanks for the links and pointers.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Audio recording issue
Next Topic:

My Mox6 ››