mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Another question about changing Modes via MIDI SysEx"

Posted on: February 18, 2014 @ 08:00 PM
Daddio.007
Total Posts:  21
Joined  01-08-2014

I am using SysEx hex codes to successfully change modes (voice, perform, pattern) using an iPad app (Set List Maker) and pretty much completely automated my patch changes for live use. As I advance to the next song in the app the mode change SysEx then the MSB/LSB and patch change are sent automatically.

One of the songs is using a Pattern chain. So the app is getting me to Pattern mode then I am manually selecting the pattern with the jog wheel and selecting Chain(F6). That works fine.

The issue comes in when changing to the next song which is a single voice in Voice mode. Seems that the mode change hex string is ignored when in Pattern Chain. Works fine in Pattern Play(F1) though.

So I am wondering whether I need some additional SysEx command to kick it out of Chain or if there’s no way to do this and I just need to remember (good luck!) to either hit Voice or Play(F1) before selecting the next song and sending the hex string.

The hex string I am using to get to Voice Mode for the next song is:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 0A 00 01 00 F7
Then sending MSB=63, LSB=10, Program=0 (Rock Grand Piano)

Again this works fine if I am in Pattern Play(F1), just not when in Pattern Chain(F6).

I’m obviously still learning so any tips or advice is as always greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2014 @ 02:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Pattern Chain is not a directly selectable mode (it truly is the construction tool between Patterns and linear Songs). Why not just go ahead and convert the PATTERN CHAIN to a linear Song? That way you can avoid this whole routine.

The difference between a SONG and the PATTERN CHAIN is basically that you’ll be able to automate the selection of Song mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2014 @ 07:16 PM
Daddio.007
Total Posts:  21
Joined  01-08-2014

Thank you Bad Mister. Of course that’s exactly what I should and will do. Now I feel foolish for not thinking of that. And deservedly so!

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2014 @ 01:45 PM
vonnor
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-03-2010

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but it’s sort of related.

If I have a midi pedal board that sends Program Change(PC) messages to the MOXF8, and the unit is set to Master mode, will a PC of 003 switch the MOXF to Master 003? Or do incoming PC messages only work in Voice/Performance modes?

I did not see anything about that specifically in the Reference Guide.

Many thanks.

~ vonnor

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2014 @ 02:42 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
vonnor - 21 February 2014 01:45 PM

[...]If I have a midi pedal board that sends Program Change(PC) messages to the MOXF8, and the unit is set to Master mode, will a PC of 003 switch the MOXF to Master 003? Or do incoming PC messages only work in Voice/Performance modes?[...]

You would have to use a MIDI Parameter Change message.

See page 123 of the MOXF Data List, beneath the Bank Select table.

If you don’t have the Data List, you can get it here:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/60483

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2014 @ 12:17 PM
vonnor
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-03-2010

Thanks 5pD.

The Program Change setter-upper I’m currently using (Digital Music Corp MX-8) only sends PC messages and not Parameter Changes. The MOXF will follow Program Change messages if it’s currently set to Performance mode, correct?

That is, I’d want it to change to Performance 003 if I send the unit a PC 003 message on the global midi channel. If that works I can just use Performances as my solution. The MX-8 is already doing zone splits, key ranges, controller-to-module routing etc.

~ vonnor

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2014 @ 12:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
vonnor - 25 February 2014 12:17 PM

[...]The MOXF will follow Program Change messages if it’s currently set to Performance mode, correct? [...]

Yes, in Performance Mode a proper PC Message (correct MSB, LSB, and number) can be used to change Performances. That information is also in the table I previously referred to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 12:16 AM
NUMOiD
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-11-2016

Can someone PLEASE provide the SysEx command to change to PERFORMANCE Mode USER 1?
I can use:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 0A 00 01 01 F7
to get to the PERFORMANCE Mode… but not specifically to USER 1 Bank.

Thanks in advance!!!
Darren in KC

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 07:25 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
NUMOiD - 09 May 2017 12:16 AM

Can someone PLEASE provide the SysEx command to change to PERFORMANCE Mode USER 1?
I can use:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 0A 00 01 01 F7
to get to the PERFORMANCE Mode… but not specifically to USER 1 Bank.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478921

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2017 @ 01:50 AM
Taylormaidmusiq
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-30-2017
Daddio.007 - 18 February 2014 08:00 PM

I am using SysEx hex codes to successfully change modes (voice, perform, pattern) using an iPad app (Set List Maker) and pretty much completely automated my patch changes for live use. As I advance to the next song in the app the mode change SysEx then the MSB/LSB and patch change are sent automatically.

One of the songs is using a Pattern chain. So the app is getting me to Pattern mode then I am manually selecting the pattern with the jog wheel and selecting Chain(F6). That works fine.

The issue comes in when changing to the next song which is a single voice in Voice mode. Seems that the mode change hex string is ignored when in Pattern Chain. Works fine in Pattern Play(F1) though.

So I am wondering whether I need some additional SysEx command to kick it out of Chain or if there’s no way to do this and I just need to remember (good luck!) to either hit Voice or Play(F1) before selecting the next song and sending the hex string.

The hex string I am using to get to Voice Mode for the next song is:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 00 0A 00 01 00 F7
Then sending MSB=63, LSB=10, Program=0 (Rock Grand Piano)

Again this works fine if I am in Pattern Play(F1), just not when in Pattern Chain(F6).

I’m obviously still learning so any tips or advice is as always greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Can you help me change modes on my ES 7. I am able to use setlist maker to change patches within the mode but I have not been able to change from a patch in voice mode to a patch in performance mode without physically changing the mode myself. Can you give me the correct string to do so? I tried the one you have here and it doesn’t work. I’m assuming that’s because that code is for an XF and not an ES? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can MOFX6 editor load XS .X0A all file?
Next Topic:

n00b question on samples/voices/flash ››