mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF A/D Line-Mic Level L/R Inputs"

Posted on: May 27, 2018 @ 10:43 AM
Wondering_
Total Posts:  17
Joined  02-05-2013

Using the A/D LINE INPUT on a MOTIF XF8,
How to safely set up and function without incident, a couple of Shure KSM44a Condenser Microphones using 48v Phantom Power supplied by MG12XU(not using usb) Yamaha Mixer going into the AD INPUTS on a Motif XF8 (Cables used are two Female XLR(stereo outs on mixer) to Male ¼” TS (on Motif XF).
The Audio Interface is FW16e going into Mac 10.13 using Cubase Pro.
Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2018 @ 08:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Wondering_ - 27 May 2018 10:43 AM

How to safely set up and function without incident, a couple of Shure KSM44a Condenser Microphones using 48v Phantom Power supplied by MG12XU(not using usb) Yamaha Mixer going into the AD INPUTS on a Motif XF8 (Cables used are two Female XLR(stereo outs on mixer) to Male ¼” TS (on Motif XF).
Thanks.

The connections you’ve described shouldn’t be problematic. The XF’s Input Mic/Line setting in Utility mode should be “line”. I’d start with the rear panel GAIN control at mid setting. Adjust mixer input level controls as required for the mics you’re using. Adjust the mixer’s output levels so that with the XF in Integrated Sampling mode, Record Standby, the level indicators don’t quite hit max on loudest peaks, which should avoid clipping.

(In terms of safety, the thing to avoid is ever connecting an XF output to an input that has phantom power applied.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2018 @ 09:09 PM
Wondering_
Joined  02-05-2013
5pinDIN - 27 May 2018 08:21 PM
Wondering_ - 27 May 2018 10:43 AM

Thanks.

The connections you’ve described shouldn’t be problematic. The XF’s Input Mic/Line setting in Utility mode should be “line”. I’d start with the rear panel GAIN control at mid setting. Adjust mixer input level controls as required for the mics you’re using. Adjust the mixer’s output levels so that with the XF in Integrated Sampling mode, Record Standby, the level indicators don’t quite hit max on loudest peaks, which should avoid clipping.

(In terms of safety, the thing to avoid is ever connecting an XF output to an input that has phantom power applied.)

Thank you.
In recent days I’ve been thinking about the two variables in the plan; Mic Pres and A D converters.
I cannot find any info about data on the XF referencing quality of these two.
The audio interface I’m thinking about trying is
Focusrite.
If you or anyone else might know about the quality and sound between these two and which one(the Xf or the Focusrite) might be better for the KSM44a, I’ll be all ears.
The cables needed is an unbalanced end for the input back of Xf. Signal flow would be from MG12 (balanced out) female xlr’s stereo output into the xf which I think is unbalanced. That particular cable with those connectors is not that readily available, I think Hosa has one fairly inexpensive. Please correct any info that I’m assuming.
Thanks for your time on this Memorial Day Sunday.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2018 @ 11:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Wondering_ - 27 May 2018 09:09 PM

Thank you.

You’re welcome.

Wondering_ -

In recent days I’ve been thinking about the two variables in the plan; Mic Pres and A D converters.
I cannot find any info about data on the XF referencing quality of these two.

Obviously the XF can’t provide phantom power, so since the mixer would be doing that it will also raise the output to line level. Although the XF has decent EIN (equivalent input noise), it doesn’t much matter because it wouldn’t be acting as the mic preamp, and therefore not impacting S/N ratio to any significant degree. I haven’t found the ADC to be inadequate, either.

It will be interesting to see the response to a similar post at another site concerning a different Yamaha synth.

Wondering_ -

The audio interface I’m thinking about trying is
Focusrite.
If you or anyone else might know about the quality and sound between these two and which one(the Xf or the Focusrite) might be better for the KSM44a, I’ll be all ears.
The cables needed is an unbalanced end for the input back of Xf. Signal flow would be from MG12 (balanced out) female xlr’s stereo output into the xf which I think is unbalanced. That particular cable with those connectors is not that readily available, I think Hosa has one fairly inexpensive. Please correct any info that I’m assuming.
Thanks for your time on this Memorial Day Sunday.

Yes, the XF’s A/D inputs are unbalanced, and require a 1/4” TS plug.

You might get more directed replies if you revealed some details about your goal. Are you going to record audio in Cubase, or do sampling in the XF? In other words, would the XF be serving as more than just an audio interface?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2018 @ 07:53 AM
Wondering_
Joined  02-05-2013
5pinDIN - 27 May 2018 11:36 PM
Wondering_ - 27 May 2018 09:09 PM

Thank you.

You might get more directed replies if you revealed some details about your goal. Are you going to record audio in Cubase, or do sampling in the XF? In other words, would the XF be serving as more than just an audio interface?

Yes, yes, and yes :)
It all begins with the sequencer. When nearing completion there, the piece is FW’d into Mac/Cubase 9.5. Then the MG12 is turned on, checked for connections etc, the vocals, one at a time, are shot thru the Xf - fw, and into the Mac. Of course all the firmwares and OS’s are always up-to-date. (there’s a recently discovered update for the XF Extension taking it to 112, btw)

A debate recently began here(at home), about any strain on the
Xf itself caused by the mixer/48v(x2 or 3 mics)… your post has cleared that up. thx 4 that. Longevity of the Xf and absence of abuse are always concerns.

We tried the sampler finding it not to our liking. Putting the vocals on an audio track of cubase is preferred. I’m assuming the Focusrite would not stand out like a sore thumb with the vocal in contrast to the Motif? I never return anything, all is decided upon, used and loved, or donated. I try to avoid these kind of ‘big ticket’ donations! ;-)
On a more serious note, it has come to my attention the unavailability of the FW16e to be purchased. One of the features of the https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Clarett8PreX--focusrite-clarett-8pre-by-26x28-thunderbolt-audio-interface from the first post is Midi In/out.
....Wondering functionality in comparison to FW16e and production contrast transferring the Xf alone into Audio Interface to record sequenced piece to Mac/Cubase?

All replies welcomed.... thanks for yours.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2018 @ 03:43 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Why do you think you need a FW16E? (if you haven’t bought one already)

Don’t forget you can use the USB ‘To Host’ for MIDI.

You can record stereo audio from a Motif XF to an audio interface via analog main left and right outputs or digitally via the S/PDIF output.

Your proposed method of using a mixer for your mics, running that through your Motif and then using a FW16E to your computer seems like somewhat of a long winded faff to me, as opposed to using a separate audio interface such as the Focusrite, which already phantom powers mics and has a nice neat and tidy connection to your computer.

There’s also a chance the Focusrite mic preamps will sound better than the Yamaha mixer ones, because Focusrite are renowned for their mic preamp quality.

The longer signal path featured in your mixer idea could have a negative effect on your audio.

In recording, for the best possible outcome, always try to run your audio through the least amount of electronics possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2018 @ 06:46 PM
Wondering_
Joined  02-05-2013
philwoodmusic - 28 May 2018 03:43 PM

Why do you think you need a FW16E? (if you haven’t bought one already)

Don’t forget you can use the USB ‘To Host’ for MIDI.

You can record stereo audio from a Motif XF to an audio interface via analog main left and right outputs or digitally via the S/PDIF output.

Your proposed method of using a mixer for your mics, running that through your Motif and then using a FW16E to your computer seems like somewhat of a long winded faff to me, as opposed to using a separate audio interface such as the Focusrite, which already phantom powers mics and has a nice neat and tidy connection to your computer.

There’s also a chance the Focusrite mic preamps will sound better than the Yamaha mixer ones, because Focusrite are renowned for their mic preamp quality.

The longer signal path featured in your mixer idea could have a negative effect on your audio.

In recording, for the best possible outcome, always try to run your audio through the least amount of electronics possible.

Thanks for your reply.
All written makes understandable sense to us.

I think I can find a very nice live group that would appreciate a deal on a mint MG12XU.
Ebay, here they come! ;-)

“to err is human, to really foul-up is....well, probably, illegally too much fun”.
The mixer was a gift anyway. :)

Stay Happy everybody.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Soft Case Gig bag for XF8
Next Topic:

Assignable Function <<<>>>> Foot Switch ››