mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "WHy does the level register sound when on A/D input but no singing and only headset?"

Posted on: March 20, 2018 @ 07:00 AM
Dionysos
Total Posts:  46
Joined  01-07-2018

Hi, I am puzzled as to why the level meter (small lamps indicating the gain of A/D input or Mixing) shows one lamp when pressing keys on the keybed. THere is no sound coming from the loudspeakers so no bleed to the microphone, only on ear headphones which are far away from the dynamic microphone which would not pick up that sound. The keybed makes a bit a sound. Is that why? If I unplug the microphone the signal dissapears. SO this would indicate there is some bleed anyway or? I am puzzled since if I speak or sing and as far away from the microphone as the keybed or even closer then nothing is registered by the gain/level.

I wish to avoid any bleed of course. Is it perhaps some cross over signal (or whatever) within the Moxf8 itself? Or is it the tone of the keybed thump that is easier registered than my voice? Its not at every pressing down of the keys but it comes some of the times. Anyway it doesn’t seem related to how many keys or how noisy it gets.

Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2018 @ 06:07 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Dionysos,

I think you answered your question really.  It could well be the keybed through the mic, and although it seems quiet to you, it is often enough to register the first lamp as opposed to none because the noise is often more than the meter’s idea of nothing.  One lamp seems visually loud in relation to what’s actually going on, I’m sure. 

We don’t really know how sensitive the meter is or how it is calibrated, and the noise will be recorded even if no lamps light up.

The meter on the MOXF is almost useless (like a lot of meters), but it will give you information on three things:

1 - An idea that something is coming in to the input (the very bottom of the meter). 

2 - An idea that you have a healthy level going in. (Green up to but not including amber.)

3 - An idea that you have a level which might be too much. (amber into red)

Use your ears at all times and you can’t really go wrong. If it sounds good, then it is good and the metering is irrelevant.

If the keybed noise is audible on any recording you make and seems like a problem, then it’s time to record the mic separately from whatever you are playing on the keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2018 @ 03:55 AM
Dionysos
Total Posts:  46
Joined  01-07-2018

Thank you 👍☺️😎

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2018 @ 08:32 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
Dionysos - 21 March 2018 03:55 AM