mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Volume from Motif XF6 not very loud"

Posted on: October 26, 2017 @ 10:37 AM
jfjusa1
Total Posts:  11
Joined  09-28-2017

I just purchased an used Motif XF6, and aside from the fact that it is in excellent condition, it seems to have a volume issue. I also have a Roland FA-06 that is very loud when being played through the same powered speakers - so I am thinking the problem is within the XF. I was wondering if anyone here has encountered this. Even with the master volume set at 127, the sound seems sorta “muffled” and almost like its being “throttled” or held back.  The Roland through the JBL speakers is very very loud - so i’m ruling out the speakers.  Any suggestions?  I thought I would try here first before taking it in for an inspection.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2017 @ 01:57 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

This has been a “hot” topic over the years, and there are many threads that discuss the issue.

Here is one of them.

Here is another.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2017 @ 02:40 PM
jfjusa1
Joined  09-28-2017

Thank you - I’m new to the Motif.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2017 @ 11:34 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jfjusa1 - 26 October 2017 10:37 AM

I just purchased an used Motif XF6, and aside from the fact that it is in excellent condition, it seems to have a volume issue. I also have a Roland FA-06 that is very loud when being played through the same powered speakers - so I am thinking the problem is within the XF. I was wondering if anyone here has encountered this.

Yamaha has, in general, chosen to have a lower output level than that with synths from other manufacturers. Your XF6 might have nothing wrong with it.

Besides the discussions in the threads cmayhle linked to…

jfjusa1 -

Even with the master volume set at 127, the sound seems sorta “muffled” and almost like its being “throttled” or held back.

One possible cause of “muffled” sound is insufficient key velocity. The Velocity Curve setting in Utility mode might not suit your playing style. See (7) Velocity Curve on page 220 of the XF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48531), and try setting it to “soft”.

The XF has unbalanced outputs, and cables with TS (not TRS) plugs should be used.

You didn’t mention which JBL powered speakers you’re using. If there’s a choice of input gain settings, you might need to choose something more compatible with the XF’s output level.

If you absolutely must have more level from the XF, it can usually be done via Master EQ settings. These two threads cover some suggestions I made for models other than the XF…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475801/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475505/
...but the information is mostly applicable to your model. Relevant pages in the XF Reference Manual are 105 for Performances, 193 for Song/Pattern Mixings, and 224 for all Voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2017 @ 01:48 PM
jfjusa1
Joined  09-28-2017

Thank you very much for your help!  This at least gives me a few places to look and try different things! Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Tap Tempo button quantize?
Next Topic:

Loading Soundlibarys ››