mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "midi controllers behaving strange"

Posted on: September 06, 2017 @ 02:34 AM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

I use my MOFX8 as a controller for Logic ProX at the moment.
I have one of the two assignable pots set to midi controller #11, as that is what I always use for volume. At the same time I have the attached FC7 pedal assigned to #11.
The pedal gives me a clean sweep of all messages from 1-127. The pot does not.
It just sends out a bunch of messages around 67, i.e. 4 message 67, 3 message 68, 5 message 66 etc.
It is impossible to control anything with it, it just instantly dips the value to 67 and hovers around that.
I don’t understand what’s going on. It does this on either of the 2 assignable pots, whether or not Controller 11 is also assigned to the pedal.

If I set it to any other control number - same thing.
Setting it to #10 (pan) and looking at my computer the pan pot just jerks around the center no matter what I do with the pot.

Any suggestions?

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2017 @ 09:38 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t own an MOXF, but here’s my experience with the Motif XF…
Assigning either ASSIGN 1 or ASSIGN 2 to the same CC# as one of the dedicated controller knobs (such as PAN) results in neither knob controlling that function internally. (I presume that’s because the XF would have a conflict, and not “know” which pot to read.) Turning either knob results in the full range (1~127) of values being sent externally via MIDI.

In order to avoid a “jump” in value sent, there’s a protocol the XF follows…
Let’s say the PAN knob is turned so that the last value it sent was “30”. If ASSIGN 1 was set to CC#10(Pan), then that knob will only result in a value change after it’s turned to the position where it would send “30” itself.

The XF uses pots for the knobs, while the MOXF uses rotary encoders. I’m not sure if that affects the way the MOXF reacts to having two knob controllers set to the same function. What happens if you set an assignable knob to a function other than one which already has a dedicated knob?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2017 @ 05:02 AM
pianokim
Joined  02-09-2003

No - that’s not what it is. I have the problem whether or not anything else is set to use the same controller number (11). From the factory nothing is set to use controller #11 - so me assigning one knob to that shouldn’t affect anything else. But when I do assign #11 to the pedal - it works great. Just not the assignable knob. Apart from that - it is not like it is waiting to affect anything until a certain range has been reached. No matter what it just sends out values between 64 and 74 and nothing else - but several of the same value in a row and jumping back and forth between these values. Completely useless.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2017 @ 08:49 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

If you’re using the MOXF in Remote mode, then the ASSIGN 1 and ASSIGN 2 knobs don’t function as programmed in another mode.

See this thread, especially my post, for proper operation:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478645/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2017 @ 04:42 PM
pianokim
Joined  02-09-2003

I don’t

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2017 @ 10:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pianokim - 11 September 2017 04:42 PM

I don’t

Your frustration is palpable.

You might want to contact Yamaha Support.

[ Ignore ]