mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie simple question"

Posted on: August 26, 2017 @ 02:35 PM
jake roberts
Total Posts:  13
Joined  03-27-2016

I did a search on ‘volume’ and read all the posts.  My question is very simple.  I have a MOXF8.  When I play a voice, say grand piano.  The left hand is way louder and sensitive than the right hand.  So much so it is very annoying.  In the past on other keyboards I’ve had to split the keyboard and assign the same voice to the split and then lower the volume on the left (split) side.
Any other way to control this?  Thanks, Jake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2017 @ 11:32 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

The obvious answer is to practice being selectively independent in how you play with each hand.  You should be able to control...to a great extent...the dynamics of each hand independently, with good playing technique and control.

That said, what you are playing through could be thwarting your intentions, by responding more efficiently to pitches of fundamentals and harmonics found mainly in the lower register of the keyboard.

If your speakers, for example, are able to reproduce lower-midrange tones with better efficiency than higher tones, then speakers with a more flat response curve might help you keep the lower and upper registers more equal.

In addition, skillful use of EQ could help in how the range of traditional left hand (lower) pitches are processed by your amp and speakers, and balance the dynamic output.

What are you playing your MOXF through? (amp/speakers)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2017 @ 07:02 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Have you tried different velocity curves?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2017 @ 01:06 PM
jake roberts
Joined  03-27-2016

Thanks for the replies.  I’m playing through a pair of powered m-audio studio monitors here at home but for gigs I use a ev zxa1 powered monitor.

Haven’t tried the velocity curve approach yet.  Jake

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2017 @ 07:15 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Jake,

Do you have an injury, impairment or disability that makes you play the way you’ve mentioned? or do you think it’s just how you play naturally?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 27, 2017 @ 09:44 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
jake roberts - 26 August 2017 02:35 PM

Any other way to control this?  Thanks, Jake

Aside from the fine responses offered here, you may find adjustments to the Keyboard Scaling located in the AEG to be useful. This would be edited and stored in Voice Mode. A very handy feature with a variety of applications.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2017 @ 07:23 AM
jake roberts
Joined  03-27-2016

Thank you for all your responses.  I guess I just have a heavy left hand.

I’ll soldier on.  Thanks again.  Jake

[ Ignore ]