mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF SPLIT"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 07:34 PM
raylamatrice
Total Posts:  29
Joined  10-04-2013

Where can I get the John Melas Performance Editor?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 07:41 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
muscarella - 05 August 2017 07:17 PM

I’ve now changed my Performance and set the High/Low Limit in basic Performance menu for the two instruments to spread the entire keyboard and then went into EDIT mode and redid the Note Limits in the respective column format to have the two voices meet at one particular note (no Layer/Overlap, that is) and there are STILL dead notes. Is there another function that could effect this? It is entirely counter-intuitive.  I think that there is some programming difference due to the need to assign which keys will trigger Arps. I’m not using an Arp on this Performance, but I’m wondering if there’s some residual setting that is still interfering.

I have an XF, which does not have these particular functions, but had gone through the Manual for the MOXF a while back for background.

On page 59 of the Reference Manual, there are a couple of NOTEs that may shed some light on the nuance:

NOTE When the “SplitLo/Up” parameter of each Part is set to “both,” this parameter will have no effect.

NOTE Sound is produced only when you play notes within the area that matches both the Split setting and Note Limit setting.

Additionally, there is a clause in the “SplitLo/Up” discussion on page 64 of the Manual that may shed some light (in bold below):

SplitLo/Up (Split Lower/Upper)
Determines which area of the keyboard will produce the sound. When “upper” is selected, only notes at the Split Point (Common parameter) and higher will produce sound. When “lower” is selected, only notes lower than the Split Point will produce sound. When “both” is selected, all the notes across the entire keyboard will produce sound. Actually, sound is produced by playing the notes within the area that matches both the settings here and the Note Limit setting.

So it appears that if there is not careful assignment of both settings (SplitLo/Up and Note Limit) for each PART, you could end up with some aggravating “dead” notes.

Wish I had a MOXF here to play around with this!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 08:28 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
raylamatrice - 05 August 2017 07:34 PM

Where can I get the John Melas Performance Editor?

http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/products.php

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2017 @ 10:03 PM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

Is it a free download?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2017 @ 12:53 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It’s not freeware.

You can certainly download it for free and look at how it works, but you have to buy it to unlock it so that it communicates with your keyboard.

It is good value for money if you’re constantly setting up performances.

If you look on the website, there’s a link at the top right that says “purchase” on each page.

I am not John Melas or linked with him in any way.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2017 @ 04:43 AM
raylamatrice
Joined  10-04-2013

About how much does it cost ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2017 @ 10:47 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
raylamatrice - 06 August 2017 04:43 AM

About how much does it cost ?

About 36 dollars (30 Euros).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2017 @ 01:28 PM
Joshman
Total Posts:  208
Joined  10-28-2013

Many Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2017 @ 01:34 PM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015
muscarella - 05 August 2017 07:17 PM

I’ve now changed my Performance and set the High/Low Limit in basic Performance menu for the two instruments to spread the entire keyboard and then went into EDIT mode and redid the Note Limits in the respective column format to have the two voices meet at one particular note (no Layer/Overlap, that is) and there are STILL dead notes. Is there another function that could effect this? It is entirely counter-intuitive.  I think that there is some programming difference due to the need to assign which keys will trigger Arps. I’m not using an Arp on this Performance, but I’m wondering if there’s some residual setting that is still interfering.

I’m sure I’ve had occasions where the Arp notes limits have affected the voices in the split and caused ‘dead keys’. I tend to have the lower voice playing an Arp and the upper voice not using an Arp but even still I’ve had to set the Arp note limits for the upper voice to correspond with the actual voice note limits.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2