mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Play along to a pattern?"

Posted on: July 29, 2017 @ 09:44 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

I’m trying to get to grips with patterns again and have recorded a basic pattern with an Arp voice. What I’d like to be able to do is to play this back and at the same time select a different voice to play over the top of the pattern recording. At this time I don’t want to record the 2nd voice, I just want to play along to see what it would sound like.

When I select a different voice, all it does is change the pattern playback to use that voice, so I’m either doing something very stupid or what I want to do isn’t possible

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 29, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

DOH!!  Just went back to the keyboard and realised all I had to do was select Part 2. Excuse my stupidity :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2017 @ 04:38 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

A little explanation if I may indulge… just trying to convince you all that I’m not really stupid :)

I looked at performances some time last year and had a bit of a play with them then and created a couple of Arps in the process. But me being me wasn’t satisfied with the 1 synth so I ended up buying 2 more (Korg Minilogue and Moog Sub 37).

This meant another big learning curve for me as I didn’t know what I was doing with either of them. At the same time I decided I really should try to learn how to play properly and learn to read music…

The outcome is that I’ve been messing about with a bit of everything and not really learning one thing at a time. I must admit that I’ve been like a kid in a sweet shop (candy store for those of you in the US I think) and been having great fun but neglecting to really learn the basics.

My interest in synths goes back to the day in 1975 when I was watching a program called Tomorrow’s World and they featured an unknown band (to me) playing something called Autobahn :)

I never imagined back then that I could actually own synths much more powerful than that and so you can hopefully understand why I start of intending to learn stuff and end up just having fun :)

I didn’t buy my first synth (the moxf6) until a couple of years ago so it’s been a long time since I saw that program in 75. I did own a very small ‘bontempi style’ keyboard and a stylophone back in the 70s so only had that experience. But I do think having those ‘toys’ at an early age helps tune your ear to what sounds good together.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2017 @ 03:39 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Finally I think I’m actually posting a genuine question here although not sure if this is the right place to ask it…

I have my MOXF connected to my Sub37 via midi and am just using that connection to sync the clocks with the MOXF acting as the master.

That all works fine except for certain circumstances. If I’m playing back a demo song or a pattern etc on my MOXF, quite often it will trigger the Sub37 to play one of the Arps using the current patch on the Sub37 at the same time. Anyone know what I might have done wrong here?

Edit - I think whichever part is selected on the MOXF is what is played on the Sub37.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2017 @ 11:28 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
jg666 - 31 July 2017 03:39 AM

I think whichever part is selected on the MOXF is what is played on the Sub37.

On the MOXF side:

1. Select the pattern or song

2. Select [F3] TRACK -> [SF2] OUT SW

3. If EXT SW (External Switch) is set to ON, it will output MIDI over that track’s channel. If an external device is connected to that channel it will play whatever MIDI data is transmitted. If this is not what you want, set it to OFF.

From the Sub 37 manual I saw no reference to any way to disable the Sub 37 from receiving MIDI clock or start and stop commands which will affect the arpeggiator and step sequencer. You could try turning MIDI clock off on the MOXF temporarily to see if that changes the behavior:

Utility -> [F6] MID Then set both ClockOut and SeqCtrl to OFF (no clock sent, no sequencer commands sent).

If that fixes the problem, let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2017 @ 12:12 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Cheers for that, I will give it a try later :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2017 @ 05:43 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

OK firstly the settings in Utility.

SeqCtrl was already set to Off.
I changed Clock Out to off but it didn’t solve the problem so I turned it back on again.

In the Pattern settings all the tracks were set to Ext SW On and when I turned those off it cured the problem so that’s great - thanks for that.

I have noticed though that even when playing voices and performances, every time I hit a key on the MOXF the red midi lamp lights on the Sub37 but it doesn’t play it. It only seems to play it when playing back from the sequencer.

The clock sync works fine even though I don’t fully understand the midi settings in the MOXF! I do have to manually start the Arp or Sequence on the Moog at the same time as I start it on the MOXF as I haven’t sussed out if it’s possible to start them automatically at the same time.

As I say it’s all a big learning curve at the moment, but it is enjoyable !!

[ Ignore ]