mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLan16e versus Firewire 410"

Posted on: February 28, 2004 @ 12:06 AM
RichardSH
Total Posts:  8
Joined  02-27-2004

Hello,

This is my first post to this group, and I have to confess that I’m a “newbie” who’s trying to adjust to the learning curve associated with owning a Motif ES.

I just purchased my Motif ES a week ago. I also purchased a Firewire 410 so that I would be able to record in 24 bit.  Now that I’ve got the Motif ES, and having gone through the instruction manual somewhat, I’m wondering if I made a mistake purchasing the Firewire 410 instead getting the mLan16e (which I’m not even sure is available after reading many of the posts on this site).  From what I understand, the mLan16e would turn my keyboad into the audio interface thus eliminating the need for my current Firewire 410. 

But one thing I’m really wondering is whether the mLan16e would also allow me to “load” data (like the Motif ES sound library CD) from my EIDE internal CDROM in my computer as well.  It doesn’t seem like it would do that, but if did, it would enable me to avoid buying some other external USB storage device.  Since I’ve got another seven days left to return the Firewire 410 to the store I got it from, and insights will be greatly appreciated.

Richard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2004 @ 12:16 AM
KEYEDup
Total Posts:  0
Joined  04-02-2003

Re: mLan16e versus Firewire 410

It is my understanding that you will not be able to send info from to the Motif from the firewire card but the MLAN16e card will in essence turn your ES into a very functional firewire soundcard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2004 @ 09:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Firewire 410 is not a device that will allow you to do near what the mLAN16E will - in this case (routing from the Motif ES): The mLAN16E is a Motif ES specific output expander that allows you to digitally (24-bit/96kHz) connect the Motif ES to your Firewire computer terminal or other mlAN equipped device. It allows the Motif ES to route signal on 14 individual outputs plus the stereo L&R output (16 channels total).

While everything that is mLAN is Firewire, what you will discover is, not all Firewire is mLAN. mLAN is a protocol that you will be hearing much, much more about in the coming weeks as the one solution for music and audio in a computer environment. It is about networking music devices and computers for the purpose of music creation. It will do little to help your EIDE CDROM in your computer or storage device workarounds. That is not the purpose of mLAN (music Local Area Network): it is all about routing signal during the recording, mixing and playback process. It is a creative tool (not a storage mechanism).

The mLAN16E is for Motif ES customers who have always dreamed about routing individual outputs to your computer Digital Audio Workstation software for processing and mixing. The beauty of a single cable carrying all those signals is one thing (imagine having 16 audio cables from your Motif ES routed to your computer ...not a pretty picture is it) now imagine a single Firewire cable carrying the 14+2 channels of audio.

Again: everything mLAN is Firewire, but not all Firewire devices will have the advantages of mLAN. So if all you want to do is take the analog stereo outputs of the Motif ES and route them to your 410, and from there to your computer then your purchase is okay. But if you are thinking mixing/recording in the digital domain the mLAN16E will give you the ability to route individual Parts of your Motif ES mix to your computer software… and more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2004 @ 09:30 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

The other cool thing about the mLAN 16E is that you can send 4 Stereo Busses from your computer’s DAW to the Motif ES , use the ES’s system effects on them and then send them out the analog outputs of the ES. So the intergartion with the ES’s effects is very cool.

By the way when you are recording into the computer you can use the Motif ES’s Insert effects on either the ES sounds or the A/D inputs you are recrding to your computer. .

The 410 has no DSP effects what so ever.

Also the mLAN16E will be cheaper. 

If you have an ES , we think it’s a no brainer.  The mLAN 16E is the way to go.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ IM LOSING IT AGAIN! Insert FX! What the?!?!?!
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››