mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif sounds not in the ES"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 17, 2003 @ 05:31 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

Has anyone compiled a list of the voices from the Mo classic that were not put into the ES? Due to time limitations I cannot go thru the data lists. I fiqure Yamaha or Cathy must have this info somewhere. It would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2003 @ 05:45 PM
Lifechanger
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-28-2003

Re: Motif sounds not in the ES

Haven’t had a chance to check it out...there supposedly are a couple of banks that were on the MORACK…
If you are footloose and fancy free...no Moftifs or Racks to date...I’d strongly suggest you pop for an ES AND a MoRack…
So many great approaches to “different” voicings/rhythms/combis...you’ll just want to “Twist & Dance”!! with the cusomers....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2003 @ 03:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If they are not in there you can load them in visit the Clinician’s Corner for details on how to convert Motif Voice data to the Motif ES. You also get a library of all the Piano sounds (Motif, S90) on CDROM.
Tips on converting Voice data to ES

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2003 @ 06:28 PM
PeterS
Joined  09-12-2002

Badmister,
Thanks, I was aware you could load them to the ES. That is why I wanted to know which ones were left out so I could load them into my user bank on the classic Mo. Unfortunately I dont have the time to go thru the data lists and was hoping Yamaha could provide us with the info. My Mo7 is on ebay as we speak so I was hoping to get the list ASAP before shes gone
Pete.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2003 @ 07:53 PM
PeterS
Joined  09-12-2002

Does anyone know what is not on the ES??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 01:02 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Peter,

I spent a little time this evening creating a PDF document that has three parts:[list][*]Voices that are in the Motif but not the Motif ES - By my count there are 342 of these voices
[*]Voices that are in the Motif ES but not the Motif - 732 Voices
[*]Voices that are in both the Motif and Motif ES - 355 voices[/list:u]
This file was created by comparing the names in the Motif and Motif ES Data Lists. It includes all preset Drums Kits and Normal Voices as well as factory user voices.  It does not include Performances. It’s possible that there are a few voices that are the same, but have slightly different names. My methodology would show these as unique in each instrument.

The PDF document is in a zip file attached to this posting.

Hope this is helpful.

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 03:29 AM
Lifechanger
Joined  01-28-2003

Don’t know if it’s me only, but I get a corrupted zip file...or....it won’t extract to a named file.
Thanks for the excellent comparison.
I’ll get around to checking the difference between the ES and the MoRack....all I know at this point is I’m having a ball running the ES Master with the rack’s Combis...choosing complimentary grooves “at will”....what a double threat this duo is.  Total recording capability with too many choices, from just two pieces of hardware.  I may never go into my “real” studio again..who needs those additional toys??  /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 07:59 AM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

LifeChanger,

I don’t have any problem opening the zip file and extracting the pdf file from it, but something just occured to me! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif alt= I didn’t use standard 8.3 file naming for the zip file and the pdf file inside it… maybe whatever OS you are running can’t handle long file names or file names with a comma in them.

Just in case, I renamed these and am posting another copy.

Best regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 08:37 AM
Lifechanger
Joined  01-28-2003

Tnanks Brad…

That did it.  Prints out just fine!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 08:39 AM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Some of the voices with the same names are still different from Motif to Motif ES.

Like voodoman Guitar.  I liked it better in the Classic.  the AT doesn’t do as much( or the ES I was playing on had a weak AT)

Over the top is FIXXED IMO they moved the cool sound efects to the far left side of the keyboard (from the center on the classic).  They made the voice MUCH more playable by doing this.

There are many changes to the voices of the same name, and some are exactly the same Liek alto vib sax, sounds the same.  Tenor is different, Bari sax id REALLY nicer.  Ect.

BTW I think the mega voice Tech makes the MO8 weighted board MUCH more important.  its hard to fine adjust velosity with an unweighted board, so the mega voices with the drastice changes at differetn velosities are harder to play.(making them less usefull for MO6 and MO 7 IMO.  The 8’s weightered board makes it easier to control velosity and thus play the mega voices without the arpegiator.  In the store I found it somewhat easy (even though I suck hehehe) to play the mega voices with the weighted keyboard.  I can only imagine how hard it would be with the unweighted, but I have trouble playing and nice consistent levels on my unweighted board at home.  with my classic 8 it’s MUCH easier.

If you are at all torn between getting the 7 or 8............. this will make your desition easy.  Just get the 8 and never regret (tillyour back goes out moving it)

Cathy is lugging around an 8 and she is a SMALL Italian girl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= (but big in spirit)

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2003 @ 08:47 AM
Cathy
Joined  08-01-2002

Now you got it Jim! Gigged with the ES 8 last night in fact.

Brad, on behalf of many, thanks for your efforts.

To clarify to others, though, what Brad has presented (and to take nothing away from his efforts):  The names of some voices from Motif to ES have been changed very slightly, so Brad’s statistics above, which are based on “Is Voice Named ‘A’ in Motif classic found AS VOICE NAMED ‘A’ in Motif ES?” may be correct, but not necessarily totally accurate as to what patches have been brought forward and what has been left behind QUALITATIVELY.

First case in point:  In the Mo classic, there is a voice AP: PianoBakup.  In the ES, there is a voice called AP: PianoBack.  Are the two voices the exact same?  No.  Are the names the exact same?  Obviously not.  However, PianoBack is effectively the “same” as PianoBakup, except PianoBack uses the “new and improved” AP and ST waveforms in the ES to create the voice (which, for those who don’t have it on the classic is a three-element voice with Wv: Piano 1 on elements 1 and 2, and Wv: VPStrng on element 3).

Second case in point:  There is no voice called BA: Stand Up (which exists on the Mo classic) in the ES.  However, the voice (an alternative accoustic stand-up bass voice to the GM “BA: Accoustic” voice in the Motif Classic) is unnecessary, given the number of excellent, and expanded number of, accoustic bass voice offerings in the ES such as “BA: Upright” (which, in my mind, essentially replaces BA:StandUp found in the Mo Classic) and “BA: Mega Accous”—a mega-voice.

Third case in point:  In the Mo classic, there is a voice called “F. Horn Ens.” In the ES, there is a voice called “FrenchHornSec.” It serves the same purpose, but has the “new and improved” waveforms from the ES to accomplish the same voice intention (that is, a French Horn section/ensemble) from the Mo classic.  Just for comparison purposes here, I just played the two voices side-by-side with my Mo and my Mo ES plugged through the same mixer and into the same monitors.  Playing the two, I would never choose the F. Horn Ens (from Mo classic) when I could have the FrenchHornSec (from the ES) voice—assuming they were both voices offered on the same board.

Fourth case in point:  Take the voice on the Motif classic called “Gt: R&B Steel.” When you hear the ES, you realize that having this voice “missing” in the ES is absolutely irrelevant.  You’d NEVER use this Motif classic voice (which, frankly, isn’t a great voice anyways to begin with) when you have the offerings from the ES (GT category; accoustic subcategory) to choose from...and edit.

I’m not trying to sound snobby, just stating, as objectively as I can having the boards/voices side-by-side to choose from.

Back to the ES and my studying.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2003 @ 03:20 PM
PeterS
Joined  09-12-2002

Thanks Cathy for your effort. I figured you would be the one to come up with the list. In your opinion, should I forget about trying to save the sounds from Mo to transfer to the ES? (based on your cases in point)

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2003 @ 06:10 PM
Cathy
Joined  08-01-2002

No, I’m not saying that Peter.  (Take a look at my thread/post of Saturday regarding ES Review/Analysis Part 1.) I would suggest that you look at Brad’s comparison sheets, determine which Mo (classic) voices that aren’t on the ES that you MUST have, create an AllVoice file with them, and then, when you get the ES, you can determine which of them (if any) you actually need to load AND SAVE as User voices.

Ciao bello.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2003 @ 12:49 PM
GJRod
Joined  09-19-2003

Thanks from me as well, Brad, for the PDF file.

I did notice a couple of mistikes going through it briefly, -
Bell DX is in th ES (Pre1:D2).
NeoCrystal is (Pre5:H04).
Moet is (Pre6:F15)
Medium Ens (Pre3:A12)
Background(Pre3:A16)

Finally, - I sold off my Motif already.  I saved an All file but just realized something, - Only User Voice banks are saved.  Or am I wrong?  How can I get some of the sounds that were Preset on Motif that are not in ES?

SC:AnaTonk
SE:Sirens

Oops, gotta run to class!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2003 @ 01:01 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

GJRod,

See my posting in this thread . Basically, the Motif ES can load Motif voice editor files and I’ve attached a zipfile that includes all of the presets, factory user and free downloadable voice banks to that posting.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2003 @ 01:37 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

GJRod,

In addition to loading the complete Motif voice editor file into the Motif ES, you can also use the Motif ES Voice Editor to either load a complete bank or to audition individual voices and build a custom user bank of selected voices.  I’ve previously posted directions on how to do this on the Motif… the procedure should be the same for the Motif ES’s voice editor.  For details, see the following thread .

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Powered or unpowered USB devices
Next Topic:

More Powerful Than A... ››