mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Rack OS Update and Multi Part Editor"

Page 1 of 6
Posted on: January 18, 2038 @ 02:14 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Sorry it took so long , but the new OS for the Motif Rack is available along with a Multi Part Editor for the rack and [url=http://www.yamahasynth.com]http://www.yamahasynth.com [/url] in the download section.

The OS upgrade is a MIDI file that you simply play into the rack.  It takes a long time as the OS upgrade is quite large and it is being transferred at the MIDI baud rate.  However you only have to do this once and the Motif Rack will be updated to the newest OS. .

If you have stored voices or Multi seeting on your rack be sure to do record an All Bulk Dump of your data to a sequencer or sysex librarian before doign the update as the OS update will restore the factory settings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2003 @ 07:50 AM
admin
Total Posts:  9570
Joined  12-09-2008

Re: Motif Rack OS Update and Multi Part Editor

I have a MidiMan USB-MIDI interface.  Do I need to load the new OS via the MoRack’s USB port, or can I just use the MIDI IN using my USB/MIDI interface?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2003 @ 08:24 AM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Any MIDI connection is fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2003 @ 01:19 PM
___
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-08-2002

Is there going to be a Multi Part Editor or any Editor for OSX?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2003 @ 07:12 PM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

I don’t currently use computers for my music.  Could I still install the new OS using my joystick port (I have a MIDI cable that fits this) and connect that to the MIDI IN of the MoRack?  Also, could I use the included sequencer with the MoRack to accomplish this?  I am using a PC.

Thanks,

Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2003 @ 11:20 AM
milko
Joined  04-19-2003

I would second that request for a OSX editor !!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2003 @ 06:27 PM
louis
Joined  12-11-2003

Not just PC but MacIntosh too.
I’d like to report that I was able to download and upgrade my Motif Rack through my Mac G4 and Digital Performer (SYSEX data) via USB. It took about 20 minutes and tested it in multi mode. It works.
No such luck with the Multi-Part editor on the Mac.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2003 @ 06:00 AM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

H-Bomb , yes you canuse the SQ01 software that comes with the Rack and your joystick port if it is configured to acta a MIDI port.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2003 @ 10:25 AM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Hey everyone,

I did a graphical run down of the editor in an article at Mobros.org

It may help you see what it does, and where stuff is.

I will add to it when I get back from vacation, if people are interested.

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 08, 2003 @ 08:28 AM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

Thanks Yamaha,

I will try that this weekend and get back to you.

Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2003 @ 09:13 PM
admin
Joined  12-09-2008

Guru,

I use my rack with an Alesis MMT8 Sequencer not a computer. Also the problem I have been having is that I can’t retrieve System Exclusive Data dumped to the Alesis. Instead the Motif rack keeps giving me a “checksum error” message when I try to load the Sys Ex data. A few months back I was told the then forthcoming upgrade ‘might solve’ this problem otherwise I needed a midi filer or another sequencer. Hopefully this upgate will correct this.

Anyway I guess I need to get a hold of a midi interface or someone who has one to accomplish this upgrade. I don’t know anything about hooking up a midi interface to my wife’s computer (PC Dell- Windows 98) so any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned I have never used my rack with a computer. Also do I need to do anything else to the computer to make this work?

Thanks,
Lincoln

PS Presently I have to write down all the settings on paper since I can’t get the Sys Ex to work. As you can imagine I really really hope the upgrade will solve this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2003 @ 02:08 AM
admin
Joined  12-09-2008

OK I’ve downloaded the upgrade to my wife’s Dell and was able to read the upgrade proceedure, part of which reads…

“ Please use the Motif Rack system exclusive bulk dump function to bulk dump all sounds to a suitable sysex application .”

Would Cool Edit 2000 be a suitable sysex application?

Also I will need a USB cable. Right? Do I also need a midi interface? Sorry for all the basic questions but trying to learn this stuff at my age is a little slow. Please excuse me. :O)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2003 @ 02:15 AM
nentwig
Joined  05-04-2003

The cool edit I know is an audio editor, it’s the wrong kind of program. On the CD with the rack came a sequencer that is reportedly up to the job.

-Markus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2003 @ 06:29 AM
___
Joined  10-08-2002

Thanks Marcus. So all I need that I don’t have yet is a USB cable that will connect the computer and the rack. Correct?
Then I need to

(1) upload the SQ01 sequencer program
(2) do a bulk dump (for backup) to the SQ01
(3) play the data into the rack as directed

I think it is begining to make sense.:0)

How much does a USB cable cost and can I get one at Radio Shack you think?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2003 @ 03:42 PM
nentwig
Joined  05-04-2003

As I understand, the USB connection worked for some and did not for others. Anyway, give it a shot. Most USB devices have the same type of cable. For example, you could take one from a USB scanner.
Also you’ll get it in any computer shop, just standard USB cable. It’s cheap.

If you are doing bulk dumps for the first time you should be really sure that it actually works. Replay it before you upgrade the software. To check, make some change and store it. For example change a letter in a voice name. If the bulk dump is correct, the change must be overwritten by its old value.

-Markus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2003 @ 09:26 PM
Lincoln_Ross
Joined  07-03-2003

Markus,

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out here. I see that you are in Finland. I was in Helsinki in 1974 playing 3rd trombone in the Count Basie Orchestra. Working with that band was one of the highlights of my little carreer in music if you want to call it that. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt=)

I will get me a USB cable today and try the bulk dump to the SQ01. I have never worked with a sequencer other than my Alesis MMT-8 so I hope it won’t be too difficult because learning the computer at times has made my brain start to hurt. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt=)

Actually the main thing I hope the upgrade does is allow me to retrieve system exclusive messages from my Alesis. This is the problem I have been having since I got my rack in March so I have got to write down all the settings each time. My Proteus module works just fine with the Alesis and I can easily store and retrieve system exclusive messages. Anyway the folks a Yamaha support said the upgrade MIGHT solve this.

If the USB cable does not work for me I guess the next step is a midi interface. Is this correct?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 6

Previous Topic:

‹‹ assignable outs