mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hey! where’d my sustain go?"

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 07:32 PM
JohnBee
Total Posts:  134
Joined  06-14-2008

Stupid question, but I was laying a track using the default voice and when I played it back I noticed all my sustain was gone.. which made me laugh because I thought, hey makes sense to toggle this on and off. But then I was quite surprised when I couldn’t find a reference for this in the manual.

Is it possible to record sustain in track recordings?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 03:55 AM
rt
Total Posts:  0
Joined  05-06-2007

Re: Hey! where’d my sustain go?

Yes.  The XS will record your sustain pedal events. 

Not sure why your recording didn’t capture them… which is a different issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 06:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is it possible to record sustain in track recordings?

Yes, it is. A very common sequencing error is to actually step on the pedal prior to the sequencer going into record. The sequencer can only record data that happens after measure 001, beat 1, clock 000 is reached. If, for example, you have the pedal down prior to this location (like during the count-in), although you’ll hear sustain, the sequencer never recorded it.

This happens to some users. ...if you do a search on the forums you can find a few others to which this has happened. Once you are aware of this, it stops happening.

The MIDI message for sustain is Control Change 064; a value between 0-63 is OFF, and a value from 64-127 is ON. If you have an FC3 pedal, it will send all values between 0 and 127 and each will extend the envelope parameters accordingly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 07:39 AM
JohnBee
Total Posts:  134
Joined  06-14-2008

Very interesting.

So if I’m using a key event to trigger my recording, what would be the proper method of catching my sustain effects?

Also… I noticed that if I apply sustain to one track(during playback), it works. However, what If I’m playing multiple piano’s? would the sustain interfere with the other tracks(double sustain)? Or.. can I lock the sustain on specific tracks so that they are not affected by any more pedal effects?

I might be jumping the gun here, I’m going to go try a few tracks in the meantime.

thx for the help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2009 @ 12:05 PM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

You can go into event edit mode and manually insert a control change (controller 64, as BM said) with a value of 127 at the first clock tick in your recorded track. If you have a note event on the first tick, just change the note event to 1 tick later - you won’t notice it and it will ensure that the CC064 sustain change will take effect as intended.

Sustain events only apply to the track they exist in, so whatever you do on track 1 (for example) will not affect tracks 2-16, and the same is true for all tracks - they won’t affect other tracks even if the patch (sound) assigned to those tracks is the same.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Power Grand for XS?
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››