mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Store Quick Setup Permanent?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 05:11 AM
vizion
Total Posts:  231
Joined  01-06-2007

As the title says:

Can you store the internal sequencer’s quick setup permanent?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 10:05 AM
Synthgeek
Total Posts:  668
Joined  11-18-2003

Re: Store Quick Setup Permanent?

Yes, press store after setting the quick setup.  If you press store from the utility page it will store the utility settings to flash.

When loading an all file it will overwrite the current utility settings with the setting of the all file.  To avoid this, simply select all without system for the type parameter when loading all files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 10:47 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Are we talking about the same thing?

I refer to the Quick Setup in the internal Sequencer Setup.

I do this:

1) Change the setting from default Number 1 to Number 3 (Recording on computer).
2) Press Enter and/or Store (same result).
3) Restart XS
4) Then the setting is back on setting Number 1.

So, I have to change that every time I start the XS.

But maybe it has something to do with this all file you refer to? I don’t know what you mean, I never use XS’s sequencer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 12:02 PM
Synthgeek
Joined  11-18-2003

Pressing enter on that screen and pressing store are NOT the same thing.

Pressing enter changes the midi settings according to what is on screen

Pressing store locks all the settings in by storing them to flash.

Anything that is stored to flash remains even after restarting.  If you have it set to auto load an all file at start up then this may overwrite those settings. 

Another thing to check is to press Utility / Job and make sure that “Power On Auto Factory Set” is UNCHECKED. (don’t press enter on the first screen or you will wipe out all your work.) This restores factory defaults every time you restart if it is checked.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 01:47 PM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Thank you for your reply!

When I turn the XS on, the ‘Motif Xsperience’ starts up. Then I do this:

1) Press Sequencer Setup\Quick Setup
2) Choose nr. 3
3) Press Enter and/or Store (same result on my XS. I hear what you say, but it doesn’t work like that here: Whether I press one or the other—or one AND the other—the setting is NOT stored in flash, and it’s gone the next time I start the XS. But maybe that’s because of my next step?)
4) I go into SONG MODE. And stay there, without doing anything else at all. Everything else is done in Logic.

And that’s all. I don’t know where in Utility the Job option is, but factory defaults is definitely not restored when I restart—all other settings I select and store are permanently stored.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 02:32 PM
Synthgeek
Joined  11-18-2003

Well, part of the quick set up is stored with the currently selected pattern or song. The ARP midi out switch and track int and ext switches.  These are song / pattern settings so you will have to store the song to lock these changes in there.  Loading or switching to a new song or pattern will overwrite these particular settings. 

The local control, midi sync and sequencer control are the only settings that get stored to the utilities when you store after pressing enter.

So select the setup
Press enter
press store
store the song or pattern
If you load or switch to another pattern/song that overwrites the said settings, you will have to do the quick setup again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2009 @ 02:36 PM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Thank you very much, Synthgeek!

It’s terribly late here, so I have to wait and try this tomorrow—but it certainly looks like the solution!

Super great!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 01:54 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Synthgeek:
‘So select the setup
Press enter
press store
store the song or pattern’

Hm, I did just that—but when I restarted XS, the setting was back to the default…

Can it have something to do with the fact that Song Mode in itself seems a bit flakey? E.g. stored instruments often change without reason.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 05:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Quite naturally when you turn the Motif XS ON it will select the template which, if selected, will set the sequencer up so that it is ready to play. This is quite normal - setup to play means: Seq Setup = #1: Using the Internal Sequencer.

If you want to have the Motif XS go to a different QUICK SEQ SETUP you select it, manually… either from the front panel of the Motif XS or via the Motif XS Editor. Since the Quick Sequencer Setup mode needs to be changed often (according to what you are doing at that moment) you can change it for the current task and switch it back when finished. If you forget it will reset when you power up next.

Quick Setup
... you can instantly call up appropriate panel settings for the Song or Pattern mode of the MOTIF XS instrument by clicking a convenient preset setup.
note: The settings of the MOTIF XS instrument made via the operation here (Quick Setup) cannot be saved as an Editor file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 06:00 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Thank you, BM! I’ll just make it a habit to set it when I start the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 07:50 AM
Synthgeek
Joined  11-18-2003

Quite naturally when you turn the Motif XS ON it will set the sequencer up so that it is ready to play. This is quite normal

Doesn’t seem natural to me. Edit Just checked and it works the way I originally thought.

MAKE SURE YOU START FROM SONG OR PATTERN MODE AND PRESS SEQ SETUP. Then press F3 for quick setup. Do the same after restarting.

Changed quick setup to #2 and pressed enter.  Then I pressed store.  Then I exited to the pattern and stored the pattern.  Restarted my XS and the quick setup was still showing the settings of setup #2.  Did my own changes and tried again and yes, it keeps your stored utility settings even after powering up. 

I’m on the latest OS.  The only way it’s not working is if you have the power on to factory or some all file set to autoload.  This is considering that the pattern / song specific parameters are stored different for each song and changing songs/patterns changes those particular settings only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 08:21 AM
Synthgeek
Joined  11-18-2003

To clarify again.  The top 3 parameters(local control, midi sync, and sequencer control) in the quick setup menu are utility settings.  Once you press enter to change and press store after, these are locked into flash and remain with these settings at restart unless there is an autoload.

When you return to the quick setup after restarting, it will always show quick setup 1 but that is not necessarily the current settings.  If you look at the first 3 parameters on the left side of the arrow it should show your last stored utility settings and this is indicating that these are the current settings.

The last three quick setup parameters (ARP MIDI out switch, track int, and track ext switch) are specific to the currently selected song or pattern.

One difference.  I am in pattern mode first and I press seq setup.  If you are in voice or performance mode and get to quick set up from utilities it may be doing something different.  I edited above to show this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 09:12 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Well, what I don’t understand is this:

I’m supposed to choose setting nr. 3 in quick setup when I record in Logic, right?

But I’m *also* supposed to choose MIDI or ‘auto’ in UTILITY/SYNC when I work in Logic, isn’t that also true?

So why does the Quick setting nr. 3 change my stored MIDI selection to INTERNAL in UTILITY/SYNC?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 09:39 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

Synthgeek, I just saw your post now…

NOW, I’m confused. And furthermore, I think it sounds like even *BM* is confused. (And if that’s the case, I give up.)

I mean, Quick setup settings aren’t REALLY settings, or what??? They’re sort of just pretending?

Can ANYBODY please explain in clear English what these settings really mean, and when we’re supposed to use which, and what (if anything) is actually stored when we press STORE???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 09:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Stop thinking that number tells you any more than the template number… it does not tell you current status.

The settings for the 4 or 6 critical parameters on the left of the QUICK SETUP screen are your current conditions, the settings on the right are those that will take place after you hit [ENTER]

You will see 6 parameters if you are in SONG or PATTERN mode. You will see 4 parameters if you are in PERFORMANCE mode.

So why does the Quick setting nr. 3 change my stored MIDI selection to INTERNAL in UTILITY/SYNC?

You must have an extremely old operating system if your MIDI SYNC is set to “internal” by the QUICK SEQ SETUP #3… it should be set to “AUTO” which allows you to use the Arpeggiator/seq clock of the Motif XS without having to start the external master clock. This is very useful.

AUTO allows the Motif XS to run at the last received clock tempo. Many DAWs do not send clock when in stopped mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2009 @ 10:14 AM
vizion
Joined  01-06-2007

BM, I have a *library* of manuals, so in order to actually make music I collect essential notes and let them guide me in my daily work.

Among my XS-notes is this reply from Yamaha_US:

‘Yes , of course, you can playback16 different Voices in a Song and Pattern Mix from your computer. If you want to use Cubase you should go to Sequence Setup and select Quick Setup 3 which will setup the Motif XS to use with an external DAW.’

So I assumed it was as simple as that.

As for the operating system, yes it’s old. Somehow I got the impression that most recent changes was related to the integration with Cubase. But that may have been a mistake, so I’ll update.

As an apropĆ³s to this thread: My XS settings won’t be changed when I update, right?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can we users start a wish list? follow my example:
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››