mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Stimulus? wheres the haters now?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 07:06 AM
MoGut
Total Posts:  1535
Joined  05-08-2004

laughable!

Funny how you DON’T hear the outrage from the country on this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 07:10 AM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

Re: Stimulus? wheres the haters now?

2 months later, after the auto industry was badgered for asking for bridge “loans”, most all other industries are in the same shape, and getting some serious love.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 07:12 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

“Funny how you DON’T hear the outrage from the country on this.”

Which “haters” are you talking about? Those that “hate” the “Stimulus” or those who “hate” the people “against” this particular “stimulus”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 07:22 AM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

You know what im talking about dukester, don’t even mess with me!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 09:02 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

If you recall, I would tag some of my posts on this subject with “the line forms at the right,babe”.

States, companies, corporations, special interest groups, political supporters and so on are all “forming at the right”. “Uncle Sugar” is handing out taxpayer dollars (something that Rangle, Geithner or Daschle have to worry about). “My” problem with the auto bailout was with the Unions having a seat at the table when they were part of the problem with the businesses. I also have a problem with the people in government who put the businesses and the housing financial situation, in place to “solve” the problems.

I’m in the audiance now. I’m just going to watch government screw this whole thing up. Invest in K Y Jelly or it’s going to get real rough.
Just a thought..... 

Come on,GW. I’m not messing with you. Our posts are overlapping. You’re posting while I’m reading or writing and I’m reading or writing while you’re posting. Screws up the context.

I’m against all of this “bailout” stuff. Especially when the people most responsible aren’t getting called to task. That stems from the original TARP to the present. Now they are working on a “Stimulus Package” or “Recovery Package"(they just love to change the acoustics) that won’t “stimulate” anything but further anger form “us” who are on the hook for whatever these clowns finally agree on.
There is a smell of “Pig” in the air.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 07:05 AM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

“My" problem with the auto bailout was with the Unions having a seat at the table when they were part of the problem with the businesses.

You continue to celebrate this point. The horse is dead!

As far as the hearings, Gettelfinger was just there for moral support anyways, he didnt have much input or reason to be there, agreed. The loans went to the companys not the union. 

Back to point, a question for you duke. Why do you not want taxpayer money recycled back to the taxpayers? Would you rather congress spend this money elsewhere of their choosing? Congress is a dangerous bunch of people, you must see that. Politically driven, not rationally minded.

See the movie “Charlie Wilsons War” as an example of how congress throws billions around like its confetti

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 09:05 AM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

Gut,

Look at the details of the stimulus package.

Congress IS deciding where the money goes, not the taxpayers.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 09:17 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

“Back to point, a question for you duke. Why do you not want taxpayer money recycled back to the taxpayers? Would you rather congress spend this money elsewhere of their choosing? Congress is a dangerous bunch of people, you must see that. Politically driven, not rationally minded.”

I don’t see where “taxpayer” money is being recycled back to “taxpayers”.
This is all a matter of economic philosophy. Does one believe that the government must handle the dollars and dole it out to what they see fit to? Or should there be cuts in taxes across the board from citizens to business to corporations?

“IF” one agrees that a “stimulus” intitiated by the government is necessary, then priorities need to be set in structuring such a proposal.

There is an immediate need to get money in the hands of “taxpayers”. A quandry! With the employment situation being as it is, people out of work aren’t paying taxes. So the first thing that needs to be done is get people back to work so that they can “pay” taxes. How do we go about that? The government is attempting to commit money they aren’t getting from some people...rooted in money they are getting from people who are paying taxes with the claim that eventually those that aren’t paying taxes “now”, will be in position to pay later (who’s on first?).Here comes the “politics”.

Individually, most of the items in the Stimulus Package appear to be necessary and productive. Collectively, at this time,they don’t meet the immediate need. Collectively they amount to paybacks, rewards, still under discussion propositions and Keynesian approaches to resolve the situation. This is where the philosophy of economics,Capitalism/Supply Side vs Keynesian (a collision in and of themselves) meet politics, and element by its own nature is disruptive and corruptive(one might argue that Keynesian “is” a political proposition).

54% of Americans voted for one person and one party to make the decision as to what direction our economics is to go based on the “Hope and Change” promises. 46% of Americans “still” want certain considerations and conditions applied to the “promise”. One political party is doing the dance of joy and are now trying to fulfill the agendas that they believe were denied them for the last 8-12 years (regardless to the ones they did get. George W lost his veto pen and signed into the Federal Budget more money than ever). The other is trying to maintain,in some cases and regain in others, some foundational principles to their own agenda and beliefs for the country.

Forget “Bipartisanship” that is an oxymoron in politics.Aquiencence “will” be the demand or what the Democrats, being the majority,will be rammed through just what and how they want it. Any Republicans, one or two, is all they need to “claim” Bipartisanship, but it’s no matter.

We’ve only seen the beginning of Union intervention in this package as they imposed themselves on the auto finance from the government. They ARE a part of the political aspects of the package as they are contributors to the Democrats,but that’s for another time.
Just a thought....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

The government is attempting to commit money they aren’t getting from some people...rooted in money they are getting from people who are paying taxes with the claim that eventually those that aren’t paying taxes “now”, will be in position to pay later

Spending, whether its in funding technical projects, infrastructure projects (like gov plans to in mich) is paramount. The folks with money need to spend it. The government needs to spend it. I dont see how you think NOT spending could do any good.

Have you been spending money?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 12:14 PM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Have you been spending money?

That’s just it, isn’t it? When everyone - myself included - pulls their horns in and hoards their cash for a rainy day, it just exacerbates the downward spiral, further stalling what is apparently a faith-based global economy.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 12:26 PM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

Gut,

Here’s a few of the things from the stimulus package. Which of these is going to help?

• $726 million for an after school snack program. Since when did it become the federal government’s job to buy a kid a bag of Cheetos?

• $8.2 billion to bring broadband and wireless to unserved areas. How can we expect these people to use satellite Internet or dial-up? What kind of cruel society are we?

• $650 million for more of those coupons for people to buy a $40 converter box for their analog TVs. Technology changes, people. Change with it or buy your own converter box. I wonder if they’ll give me a rebate on my old 8-track?

• $52.4 billion for carbon capture and sequestration demonstration projects. This is where they suck CO2 out of the air and pump it underground.

• $198 million to compensate Filipino World War II veterans for their service. Most don’t live in the United States.

• $50 million for habitat restoration and other water needs in the San Francisco Bay Area. There is another $62 million for military projects in Guam.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 12:59 PM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

Yeah, uh-huh. All those things plus the meat and potatoes you left out, sound like job creating stimulants to me. Except for the filipino thing, I ought to look that up

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 01:12 PM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

“Spending, whether its in funding technical projects, infrastructure projects (like gov plans to in mich) is paramount. The folks with money need to spend it. The government needs to spend it. I dont see how you think NOT spending could do any good.

Have you been spending money?”

Yes I am. I’m trying to live my life as normally as possible. I am of the fortunate that is still working.

41 States are in the red. Michigan is just one of them. Truth is, you have all your eggs in one basket...auto. Why hasn’t there been a plan to take one or two of the closed factories and restructure them to build windmills or solar panels or parts for an oil rig (which the dialog has stopped altogether and now your failing industry must build cars to accommodate a political agenda).

There are billions of dollars in this package that won’t impact the economy for at least 2 years and others not at all. They are “paybacks” for support of Obama and the party.Bif’s list is only the tip of the iceberg. 

There are direct targets that could be addressed,but as I said, it is the politics that are front and center now, even to the degree that the Democrats are afraid of losing mid term elections in 2010 if they go it alone and use their majority to ram this package through.

You all got who and what you wanted. I’d like to see the Democrats ram this through all alone. It works...they get the fame. It doesn’t work...they get the blame.

....and Heaven forbid they consider “cutting” some of the wasteful spending.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 01:30 PM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

which the dialog has stopped altogether and now your failing industry must build cars to accommodate a political agenda

Geezus Cryst, heaven forbid people buy american made products.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2009 @ 07:18 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

“Geezus Cryst, heaven forbid people buy american made products.”

It’s not a question of whether something is American made or not. I’m not saying one should or shouldn’t buy American made products. What I am saying is, for whatever reason, the American auto industry has had problems of one nature or another for decades in competing with foreign manufacturers. It is what it is.

I’m also saying that it’s time for Michigan to diversify. Take the closed and abandoned factories and turn them into facilities that produce something else. With the auto industry being what it is, you must begin to address drawing othe businesses and producing something else in the state.

Because of this “Green” agenda, and the auto industry taking money from the government, the government will “tell” you just what kind of cars to build and dictate the standards as well.

As long as Michigan is hell bent on just the auto industry, you are screwed. You will get tag teamed by government telling you what to build and Unions seeing their contracts are maintained. ALL of the prices passed on to consumers and they will head to the nearest Toyota or Nissan or Honda dealerships.

One of these days you will come to learn that all of this “outsourcing” claimed was merely companies wanting to make a profit and unions drove businesses out of the country.

What a concept! Start a business to make a profit.
What were they thinking? You start a business to create jobs!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2009 @ 04:18 PM
MoGut
Joined  05-08-2004

Why hasn’t there been a plan to take one or two of the closed factories and restructure them to build windmills or solar panels or parts for an oil rig

Take the closed and abandoned factories and turn them into facilities that produce something else.

Keep in mind these industrial properties and equipment are part of the corp’s capital and NOT free to any pipedream that congress conjures up for some “go green” project. Know that nothing about these plants are ‘green”, believe me, ive spent alot of time in these facilities. These plants have been on the market since there closures, and every once in a while you hear in news of potential buyers now and then.

But they are selling. Just recently gm sold there pontiac plant for 54 million to motown movie studios. This is projected to produce 5000 jobs in the area. Mostly due to governers incentives just recently legislated in mich.

But the government does not own any gm or chryslers equity (yet) you speak as tho they do.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ The friendship of allies
Next Topic:

Forum etiquette: Please Read This ››