mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "scaling pan"

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 10:09 AM
rhodeye
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-18-2002

I looked the scaling pan function up in search and only found 2 tiny threads under pan scaling which didn’t explain it well enough to me. Does anyone have the time to explain it well? the manual (S-90) only has one or two small sentences about it. If anyone does explain it very well it will be located under scaling pan (thats how its labeled on my S-90) in the programming search function of this web site so it should be easy for anyone who wants to understand this function to find it in ‘search’.  Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 04:10 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: scaling pan

It’s an easy concept to understand. Scaling pan spreads an element which uses a mono waveform across the stereo field, so it “seems” like it is stereo, with low notes starting on the left and high notes on the right.
leave the element’s actual pan setting at “C” and then increase the scaling pan value to hear the effect. The higher the value, the more dramatic the “pan from left-to-right” effect is.

Think of it as a “pseudo-stereo-izing” control. It doesn’t work on elements that use stereo waveforms (such as some of the pianos).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 12:03 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

You must use a + value. If you use a - value it will reverse the keys. Higher notes will be in your left speaker and lower notes will be in your right speaker.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 06, 2009 @ 12:13 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

I bumped this post from a previous thread. Hope this helps.

Re: Why are some piano waves stereo when......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I got it thanks to Terry. He is right as it is the pan scaling causing the effect. When at zero, the wave is in mono. At +64 you get a wide stereo effect with low’s to your left and hi’s to your right the way an acoustic piano would sound sitting in the playing position. At -64 the stereo image reverses with your low’s on the right and the hi’s on your left.

The 3 band EQ is not necessary to get the stereo image, however when you add it you must be in the stereo mode as it negates the panning effect while in the mono mode.

What I found was at about +32 the panning image is closer to the stereo image you hear on a stereo wave. At +64 the stereo image is more defined and dramatic. In fact if you move chromatically from the center of the keyboard either up or down the scale, you can hear every note moving incrementally either to the right or left.

While the stereo image at +64 might be considered a pseudo stereo image, I believe it is far more than that. In fact I would consider it a more precise super stereo image. While the pan scaling is seperating each note in a mathematical fashion, it actually gives the image an actual, more defined distinction between each note as opposed to placing 2 mic’s on either end of an acoustic piano where the distinction of every note becomes more obscured in that type of stereo field.

Try it. It is really cool and would probably sound awesome in a mix, especially where a piano is solo or a mix with only a few instruments. Just take a voice that has been initialized, add only 1 mono piano element (say preset wave 10), and adjust the pan scaling of that element to +64. If you do find the stereo field is too exagerated, try adjusting the pan scaling down to your liking. Of course you have to adjust other parameters to get the piano to sound correct, but this is just for demonstration purposes. Try headphones to hear the panning more incrementally.

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S90 Master mode sorting
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››