mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help! Mac Pro and XS network settings."

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 10:52 PM
davidteren
Total Posts:  88
Joined  06-18-2006

Hi,

Decided to try the network connection. But have had no luck after battling for hours.
Is anyone willing to give me a walk through on the process?
I’d really appreciate it.

David
Motif XS6 - Mac Pro 2.66 Quad - 6 Gig - OS X 10.5.5

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 05:36 AM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Re: Help! Mac Pro and XS network settings.

Hi David,

The nomenclature regarding mLAN is quite specific such that ‘Network’ means more than 1 mLan device connected to your PC/Mac.

If you have only the XS, then it is the MOTIF XS AI Driver (aka peer to peer) you require rather than mLan (aka network) driver.

You will need to post more detail of your setup but all the software you require is here: -

[url=http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html]http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html [/url]

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 05:55 AM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

Hi David,

The nomenclature regarding mLAN is quite specific such that ‘Network’ means more than 1 mLan device connected to your PC/Mac.

If you have only the XS, then it is the MOTIF XS AI (aka peer to peer) Driver you require rather than mLan (aka network) driver.

You will need to post more detail of your setup but all the software you require is here: -

[url=http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html]http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_xs.html [/url]

Get:

MOTIF XS AI Driver V1.6.3
Studio Manager V2.3.0
MOTIF XS Editor V1.1.1r
Extensions for Steinberg DAW 1.4
Cubase AI 4 V4.5.1 Updater (if you are in fact using Cubase AI)

B

PS the footnote on the page for the URL above says:

“The mLAN Tools/mLAN Driver is for network connection. When You connect one MOTIF XS8 (or mLAN16E2) to a computer, it is not necessary to use mLAN Driver. In this case we recommend to use AI Driver”.
===============================================
It is rather misleading and were it written by someone with a desire to communicate accurately whose first language is English , it would probably say:

“The mLAN Tools/mLAN Driver is for a ‘network’ connection ie more than one mLan-enabled device connected to your PC/Mac.

When you connect only one MOTIF XS8 (or XS6/7 with mLAN16E2 board), to a computer, it is not necessary to use the mLAN Tools/mLAN (aka network) Driver . In this case, you should use the AI (aka peer to peer) Driver”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 06:20 AM
davidteren
Joined  06-18-2006

Sorry, but I think you got me wrong.
I’m not interested in the MLAN. It’s the use of a shared folder on my computers drive for saving and loading voices that I’m interested in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 09:27 AM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

Yes erm.....well of course I knew that....- just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

erm...Cheerio.

B

PS
I thought you might need an example of the phrase ‘Total Misunderstanding’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 09:41 AM
canadave
Total Posts:  304
Joined  07-11-2007

I’m dying to know the answer to this too, as I’ve yet to successfully get my XS networked via crossover Ethernet to my Mac Pro either. 

There’s a video from cmorganis (who’s on this forum) on YouTube that shows how to do it with a PC, and you’d think it’d translate to the Mac easily enough, but for some reason I can’t get it to work.

It’d be great if Yamaha US or BM would pop by and give us the definitive step-by-step for this with Macs....the manual is pretty scarce on this issue (it tells what the various fields are, but not how to use them in practical application).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 12:22 PM
davidteren
Joined  06-18-2006

@boulez: haha no problem. I heard it’s cold and stormy in the UK so we’ll consider temporary brain freeze. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

@canadave: I too tried morganis’ YouTube video with no luck!

Anyone else have a clue?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 12:39 PM
Fedele
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-18-2008

+1....would really love see it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 09:02 PM
davidteren
Joined  06-18-2006

I’m starting to wonder if this feature even works?
Anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 03:42 AM
rt
Total Posts:  0
Joined  05-06-2007

Not likely the answer you’re looking for, as I’m not using Mac at the moment.  But, to confirm that it does in fact work on a Windows XP PC setup, over Ethernet.  I even have a Linksys switch in the middle.  It’s been a year or so since I configured it, as a test to validate the functionality.  So, it can be done, but is it worth it.

Given the current size/cost of USB keys, I’m using those as my primary backup/archive strategy.  I have over two years of .all files, 3rd party libraries, MIDI files, WAV’s on one 8GB stick with room to spare, not to mention one less LAN cable.

I must admit, I’m tempted to go the MAC route as I was contemplating a notebook pro for portability and as a work around the 3 MB memory 32 bit OS issues.  But with Cubase 5 and native 64bit support starting to get significant traction, I’m once again sitting on the PC/MAC fence.

My point really, is use the USB and focus on the music… having the LAN Network connection wasn’t all that special or convenient, to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 04:17 AM
davidteren
Joined  06-18-2006

I hear you but I’d like to use the feature to save samples and voices and whatever within project folders so the next time I need to recall a project from several months back it’s all there. Why should I have transfer via usb stick when there’s already a feature that’s supposed to allow me to do the above with ease. It’s just not working at the moment and I’m wondering if it does work on Mac at all!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 06:38 AM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

Although of little practical use, It works.

Please take the trouble to post some proper detail of your network setup, what you have tried and what goes wrong. That way, people can troubleshoot for you.

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 12:36 AM
davidteren
Joined  06-18-2006

Like I said if anyone has got this working then please be kind enough topost the settings used on both the Mac and the Motif XS.

I’m on a Mac Pro OS X10.5.5 and Motif XS using a twisted pair cable to connect directly between the two.
The cable has been tested.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2009 @ 12:08 PM
boulez
Joined  02-12-2007

Being a little lazy are we /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

IP address
type of network
subnet mask
gateway (probably not)
DNS?
Host File?
machine names
inside leg measurement
Ethernet settings on Mac (is it set to autosense speed and MDI/MDI-X) if it can?
Are you getting a connection at the hardware level - in other words is there a light on the port next to the RJ45 socket?
etc
etc

One thing that I recall is that it (The XS), uses Windows (NetBIOS) workgroup type networking. Therefore turn on SMB (Wndows) sharing on the Mac and note the name you give the Mac when doing so in order to look for this name on the network when browsing/connecting from the XS. Without Windows sharing, I doubt whether it will work as the Mac needs to appear to the XS as though it were a windows server (aka SMB Server).

The variables are too many to post a “how to” so it will require you to type a few more words - perhaps 10 minutes less on the beach might suffuce? I believe the statute which decared ‘making an effort’ to be a capital offense was repealed when that nice Mr Mandela came to power.

Don’t worry - I’m only jealous of the weather you’re having- it’s as miserable as sin here. Actually - now I come to think about it, sin is considerably more fun and not really miserable at all!

B

Addendum:

15 mins later - It does work but is painfully slow.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha, what number to call...
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››