mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Daschle?"

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 09:46 PM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

From a New York Times editorial:
-----------------------------------------
Mr. Daschle’s financial ties to major players in the health care industry may prove to be even more troublesome as health reform efforts proceed. Like many former power players in Washington, Mr. Daschle cashed in on his political savvy and influence to earn $5 million in recent years, including more than $2 million from Alston & Bird, a law and lobbying firm; more than $2 million from the private equity firm, InterMedia Advisors, which provided the car and driver; and hundreds of thousands of dollars for speeches to interest groups, including those representing health insurance plans, medical equipment distributors and pharmacy boards.

Although Mr. Daschle was not a registered lobbyist, he offered policy advice to the UnitedHealth Group, a huge insurance conglomerate. He was also a trustee of the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, on whose behalf he voiced opposition to a federal loan for a freight rail line near the clinic’s headquarters in Rochester, Minn. The loan was subsequently denied by the Federal Railroad Administration.

Mr. Daschle is another in a long line of politicians who move cozily between government and industry. We don’t know that his industry ties would influence his judgments on health issues, but they could potentially throw a cloud over health care reform. Mr. Daschle could clear the atmosphere by withdrawing his name.
I can’t say I find the train thing all that worrisome. It’s just too bad I can’t afford to hire Daschle myself though. (I live near tracks. Not a problem until the Bush administration overrode our local railroad curfew.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 08:52 AM
S80Bob
Total Posts:  497
Joined  05-14-2003

Re: Daschle?

I think Daschle should have withdrawn by now and that fact that he didn’t makes me dislike him. You go ahead and forget to pay some taxes.... see if you get a nod from the government. You’ll get something from the government all right!

This nomination, to me, does not show the change we need in government....

What a drag,
Bob <><

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 08:54 AM
-
Total Posts:  518
Joined  06-07-2006

As a CPA, I see how the normal day-to-day Joe is treated by the IRS if there is a tax deficiency suspected.  The taxpayer is forced, at great expense, to produce all kinds of data to defend themselves, all the while interest and penalties are accrueing against them.  After a bit of time has passed, the taxpayer finds that bank accounts and other assets they own are frozen, liened against, or wages garnished.....all without due process.

The fact that Daschle owes $146,000 in taxes and interest (by the way, all penalties have been forgiven and they would have been HUGE), calculates out to easily $500,000 to $750,000 of unreported income!

Imagine how you or I might be treated.....let me tell you, you would be facing federal tax evasion charges big time!

Justice requires that Daschle’s CPA’s be compelled to testify as to what they advised him regarding this (and other) income. CPA’s do not have attorney-client privelege as attorneys do and must testify as to what they know.

If it comes to light that Daschle was advised to report this income (and I am certain he was), then he should face federal charges for willful federal tax evasion and, if convicted in a court of law, pay his debt to society in a federal penitentiary just like any other convicted tax criminal.

Marc Rich, Daschle, Charlie Rangle, Geitner....all Democrats who have been convicted or suspected of very serious tax evasion.  Clinton, in the most disgusting act of his career, pardoned the worst tax evader in the country’s history!

This is an outrage.....who do these bastards think they are? And why the hell are we sitting here like dimwitted sheep accepting this crap?

And here is the latest tax related withdrawal just released:

Nancy Killefer, President Barack Obama’s choice for the nation’s first chief performance officer, has withdrawn her nomination because of a tax problem, according to the White House.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 11:58 AM
S80Bob
Total Posts:  497
Joined  05-14-2003

Just a couple hours after my post, Daschle withdrew his nomination.... Good move Tom.

I feel better. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Bob <><

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 07:07 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Since the Auto melt down, I’ve become more active in letting our elected officials know how I feel about things. All of them on my list got a very nice e-mail expressing my outrage at the new President’s proclivity towards tax-cheats. A very poor showing in my view; I hope his judgement improves.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 10:23 AM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

No sympathy for having to endure the nocturnal honking then?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Iranian genious vs Egyptian genious
Next Topic:

Forum etiquette: Please Read This ››