mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "saving XS7 sounds to PC w/ USB cable"

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 04:49 AM
obrother
Total Posts:  128
Joined  05-09-2003

New to this.  I thought I could do it with a flash memory smart card (?) we had but ‘receptacle’ on the XS7 doesn’t accommodate it size-wise. 

So I bought a USB cable and connected it to the PC.  But nothing really happens because it says I need software to open. 

Questions: Did the XS7 come with a disc I need to load in order to make this transfer happen, or what exactly do I need to do to save these sounds on PC so I can install them at a later date if necessary?  I’m not really interested in editing the voices on the pc, as I really just want to save my tons of edited sounds to some place safe.

Second, once the first question is answered could someone please address (link me to) the precise steps I take to save my sounds (I guess an all file since I have a couple patterns,e etc. also) at no risk to losing what I’ve edited.  I’ve heard horror stories, but realize that this aspect is probably not where they occur---but can’t afford to lose these edits.  Thanks very much in advance....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 08:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: saving XS7 sounds to PC w/ USB cable

The Motif XS most importantly comes with an Owner’s Manual, which is actually very good for the basic fundamentals like this.

In general, it is recommended that you store data that you create to two USB drives (one for safe keeping). As an alternative you connect your Motif XS to your computer via Ethernet… If you have a Router you can connect the Motif XS to it and save and load data directly to your computer.

But I would still recommend that you get yourself a small (convenient) USB Thumb drive (this is what most people have and carry with them when necessary) and/or a larger USB drive for long term (safe) storage.

See page 85 “Using USB storage devices” - for details on connetions to standard USB drive devices.
See page 86 “Network connection” - for the basics of creating a LAN with your home computer system.

When saving data you create on the Motif XS… the best and safest file format is always going to be the ALL data file. As the name implies it saves all data that is currently stored in your Motif XS… and you have the most options to restore all of it or particular portions of it later.

Particularly when you are new to this - the ALL data file is really the only type of file format you need. In spite of horror stories - here’s how to avoid them: There are only two types of users - those that back up their data and those that tell horror stories…

Insert a USB drive to your TO DEVICE port
Press [FILE]
Select TYPE = ALL
Press [SF1] SAVE
Create a FILE NAME (using up to 20 Characters)
Press [ENTER]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 08:28 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

“New to this. I thought I could do it with a flash memory smart card (?) we had but ‘receptacle’ on the XS7 doesn’t accommodate it size-wise.”

The XS, as I understand it doesn’t have a SmartCard slot. You would use a Flash Drive instead. This is a greater advantage as it can hold far more “information” that the SmartCard.

“So I bought a USB cable and connected it to the PC. But nothing really happens because it says I need software to open.”

Did you download the USB Drivers and install them into your computer? SEE DRIVERS IN XS .You can get the necessary Drivers for USB there.

I suggest to take a step back and got to the Behind the Manual section of the XS as well as the ones for the Classic and ES. There are common features in the previous models that are in the XS in this area. I’m sure you will need to deal with Voice Editor and MultPart Editor. It is there that you will be able to save work into your computer,do some editing etc.
Hope this helps

....and then again, “The Bad 1” beats me to the thread/forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt=. I still stand by my recommendations to examine the material I posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
obrother
Joined  05-09-2003

Thanks to both for responses.  I’ve looked at my manual and I followed directions to download the USB/Midi Driver.  I understand there is a way to do this otherwise, but since I have that cable I’m trying it that way for now. 

I downloaded the driver, succesfully as far as I can tell.  I hooked up the USB from the XS7 to the PC and, as before, it recognized the “XS7 (which I take as a good sign)” but the hardware wizard couldn’t complete - just as before- as it “couldn’t find the necessary software”. 

Sorry for the trouble, but I need additional help. Thanks again…

Also, the manual cautions about the USB “locking up and freezing” under some rare circumstances, and I am most concerned that I don’t do any harm where I would lose my data during this process.  Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m sorry, did I misunderstand your original post?

I thought you were interested in “saving XS7 sounds to PC w/USB cable"… if that is true, then let me be clear and restate some things:  What you can do via USB cable is transmit MIDI data.

MIDI data comes in to main categories:
1) the realtime MIDI data that includes music performance: Note-on events, Controller events, and tempo.
2) the (non-realtime) MIDI data that includes BULK parameters these are parameters that make up USER Normal Voices, and USER Drum Kit Voices, and MIXING setups.

You cannot save Patterns, or Songs by this method.

So the USB drivers that Dukester refers to will allow you to setup and use the Motif XS as your MIDI interface via USB. This will let you use the Yamaha Studio Manager and the Motif XS Editor.

In your original post you mentioned that you had “some sounds and a couple of patterns” ... Since the Motif XS Editor and the USB-MIDI connection to the computer would NOT let you save the “sounds and a couple of patterns"… I gave you information on how to do that.

In order to save sounds (Voices) and Patterns (sequencer data) you must create a back up file called an ALL data file. It saves everything!

You can save that to a USB stick or USB drive connected to the USB “To Device” port on the back of your Motif XS. As I mentioned most people purchase a USB stick (sometimes called a Thumb drive, because it is about the size of your thumb) to create the back up files.

Invest in a couple of them - one you work with, one you keep in a safe place.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 11:16 AM
obrother
Joined  05-09-2003

Thank you again for the reply.  Let me clarify something.  I was incorrect when I said that I had previously tried a thumb drive/stick with this keyboard.  Evidently, I confused myself with a recent attempt on one of my other keyboards for which I was trying to save sounds before selling it.

I do have a thumb drive and it does fit into the XS.  It’s a Lexar 16G.  I press FILE and it shows ‘under’ the Directory this:
Dmailer
Jump Drive
Secure II

The Directory proper says : Lexar _usb1-1

The up down button seems to only allow me to highlight ‘Dmailer’ ...which I ‘think’ is some sort of software thing that opens on the pc.  I do have some pictures saved on this from my pc, but I appear to have about 15GB left.  I don’t know if I can share purposes with this stick, and if it has to be initiaized.  It doesn’t tell me to.
Also, I’ve read that I should stick with a 2GB stick since I’m only putting a small amount of information on it...and that over 2GB is actually detrimental.  Clarification please on that.

Anyway...I’m at the point where I’d like to save my sounds (all file) onto this(?) stick and then get them onto the pc..where I’ll then worry about software or whatever to view those sounds.  But I’m somewhat afraid to do anything more and push more buttons in FILE because I can’t afford to lose anything.  Sorry for the spoon-feeding.  But if you could peruse my latest info and supply me with the next steps it would be most appreciated.  I have read the manual, but I’m too uncertain to chance things.  Thanks again....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 06:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Thumb drives with data protection software are not able to be used by synthesizers like the Motif XS… see if you can remove it (usually requires a utility program from the manufacturer’s website) or simply get a drive without any data protection/encryption.

You should not have to initialize any drive - they come ready to be written to… the only way to know is to try and SAVE a file to the drive.

See page 278 “Saving a File” for details and a step-by-step… Saving as FILE TYPE = ALL will save everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ miscellaneous file?
Next Topic:

Motif Es - song to wav? ››