mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Higher freq modulation with the mod wheel."

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 08:09 PM
Freslanta
Total Posts:  42
Joined  10-31-2008

Hi all,
Regarding the lead synth voice “Mini Three” on the MO8:
I’d like to increase the frequency of the modulation assigned to the mod wheel. The assigned modulation in the voice could be characterized as a mid speed vibrato. I’d like to simply speed it up.
I’ve gone into edit mode, common, then to CTL SET (set 1)where the mod wheel assignment is. I’ve fiddled around in there with different settings but haven’t found it.
Can any of you point me in the right direction?
Thanx.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 12:56 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Higher freq modulation with the mod wheel.

Here’s how to analyze this Voice:

In the CTL SET:
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON] a/k/a the DrumKits/Favorites button
Press [F4] CTL SET
You can see in Contrl Set 1 that the MW is set to control the ELFO (translation: Element Low Frequency Oscillator)

This is the clue for where to look to edit the speed. There are actually two levels of editing in the Motif ES architecture. COMMON (overall) and ELEMENT (individual).

There are two LFOs: COMMON (overall) and each of the four ELEMENTS has its own LFO. The “CLFO” and “ELFO”, respectively.

While in EDIT to view the individual Element parameters you press buttons [1] - [4] to SELECT an ELEMENT.
While the buttons directly below 1-4, that is, buttons [9] - [12] indicate an Element sounding. You can isolate an Element, to better hear its contribution by temporarily turning off (muting) the others - so if you want to isolate Element 1 you would turn off LEDs 10 and 11… and so on. 

This Voice “Mini Three” has only 3 Elements so buttons 9, 10 and 11 are lit… You select Element 1 by pressing Track Select [1]

Press [F5] LFO
Here you can see that the LFO is set to a speed of 40

Press [2] and [3] to view and change LFO Speed of those Elements.

You can if you wish assign “ELFO-Spd” (translates: Element LFO Speed) to a controller within the Control Set - this way you and control both in real time.

For example: Go back to the COMMON level of editing…
Press [COMMON]
Press [F4] CTL SET…
As an experiment set Control Set#2 to the following:
ELEMENT SW = 123- (means this will be set to all three Elements - you can move the cursor over one of the DASHES and use the [INC/YES] and [DEC/NO] buttons to activate and deactivate an Element switch) ”1---” means only Element 1 is active for this Control Set… while ”1-3-” means Element 1 and 3 are active, and so on
SOURCE = AS1(16) (assignable knob 1)
DESTINATION = ELFO-Spd
DEPTH = +10

Now when you turn KNOB 3 (AS1) Clockwise from its 12 o’clock position… it will increase the speed of the Element’s LFO… turning it counterclockwise from 12 o’clock will decrease LFO speed. The Element Switch parameter lets you choose which Elements will respond to this increase.

looking through the other Control Sets you will see that applying Aftertouch (AT) will also bring in the LFO… in addition to moving the wheel. So you can use AT to apply modulation with your right hand on the keys, while your left hand adjusts LFO Speed via the AS1 Knob.

hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 07:56 PM
Freslanta
Total Posts:  42
Joined  10-31-2008

Thank you very much Bad_Mister. I can now adjust the speed of the modulation both through both COMMON and ELEMENT editing. I really appreciate your thorough responses. This forum and the attention given to it are an excellent service.
You lost me on the final statement about the Aftertouch though. I found AT(--) in Edit, Common, Set 4, Source.
But I couldn’t get it to apply modulation through aftertouch (which I believe means pressing the key harder after hitting the initial note). I do only have a MO8, not a Motif.
Does the MO8 have aftertouch capabilities? If so, I didn’t quite get that part of your explanation.

Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2009 @ 10:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, you are correct the MO8 does not have Aftertouch… but does respond to it via MIDI… I was checking the Voice on an ES and totally spaced on the fact that you have a MO.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Creating Master Performance with MO8
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››