mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MTR vs DAW"

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 02:52 PM
jimgue
Total Posts:  52
Joined  09-24-2008

Hi, first post on a great site.

I’m trying to decide if I need a computer and new audio interface. I recently bought a Tascam 2488mkII hard disc recorder figuring I would keep things simple.

Since then, I bought a Motif XS6 keyboard and I have a Delta 1010 audio interface which I’ve never really used, and my computer is >5 years old. I never had the time to spend to learn how to set it up with my Mackie 1202VLZ.

Not using the Delta 1010 seems silly, but would it be better to ditch that and go with a Yamaha N8 and the integration with Cubase 4AI and new computer (can get decent bundle for <$2k)? If so, would there be any reason to keep the Tascam?

I am a home hobbyist, and have guitars in addition to the keyboard.

Any suggestions other than telling me to go to a gear-aholics anonymous meeting? Thanks, Jim.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 04:51 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Re: MTR vs DAW

One man’s opinion, but keep the 2488 and use that. It has enough inputs to handle what you need and is a self contained solution. It’s the only device you need, but if you want to do additional processing on the computer, you can still do that.

Upgrading your computer, buying the N8 and the required software is only a starting point. You will then have to spend hours/days/weeks/months getting it all to work, and many more hours/days/weeks/months learning to use it. About half way through this process, your inspiration to make music will vanish, but you will have learned a lot about computers and what does not work…

This is based on a true story. Honest. Music on a PC is more complicated and less reliable than it looks for the average person.

For less than all that computer hardware will cost you, buy an M3 or a new Roland and add some variety to your outfit. You turn hardware synth’s on, and they work every time. No one can say that about their computer set up

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 07:12 PM
jimgue
Joined  09-24-2008

Thanks Bob.  That makes sense. I need a new computer anyway, so will probably get that just in case I need to edit any of the Tascam files.

You’re right about having to spend all of the time learning the equipment, and the N8 looks complicated.  I need to spend the time honing my skills instead.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 05:37 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I also own the 2488 mkII and use it with my Motif ES6. I do have a laptop running Ableton Live as well, but I slave that to the hardware. I also use the laptop for archiving the 2488 files and doing final edits of the audio.

If you’re comfortable with the 2488 workflow, it works well as partner for the Motif.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 05:09 PM
jimgue
Joined  09-24-2008

How do you slave it to the hardware?  Via USB connection or midi?  Is the laptop connected to the Motif or the Tascam or both?

Sorry for the naive questions, but I’m a real noob. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 01:17 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Jim,

can I offer an opposite view to Spongebob (sorry mate /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= )

The major advantage in using a DAW is that you get to use a fabulous sequencer of your choice. Once you have used a sequencer such as Cubase you would not by choice stay with the sequencer on the ES (unless you just couldn’t be bothered to switch all the gear on, or were out on the road and only had the ES to use)
Sequencing using a big screen is easier and potentially quicker - it is most definitely more powerful and more flexible. The ability to edit your sequences according to what you see on the screen (and because of the size of the screen, you get to see so much more and presented in a more visually useful manner) is liberating.

Bob mentions issues with setting up - I have had no more issues over all my years of experience than i have had with the average printer installation /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

But your old computer will not be capable enough of handling the needs of a DAW. But don’t necessarily be swayed by a bundled package. Your Delta may still be up to the job - can it deliver 24 bit 44.1kHz audio recording? If so then all you need to invest in is a competent well spec’d PC - plenty of RAM, large hard disk, though a second external firewire or even internal disk may well be useful. get the fastes baddest processor you can - Quad cores are affordable these days. Vista or XP? A valid question, though most hard and software has drivers for both - this may be an issue due to the age of your card - it may not have updated Vista drivers. But USB 2.0 pro souncards offering 2in 2 out audio performance can be had for not much money.

Don’t necessarily go for the bundle but think about what you actually need to make the kind of music you make and find out how much that woudl all cost separately.

For example, I use an MBox2 as my soundcard - no mixer (that isn’t ideal - I do have a mixer, just choose not to use it!) plug my Motif into that and/or my guitar/vocal mic and record to Cubase. Of course Cubase also drives the MIDI side of things and because I start the MIDI stuff in Cubase and eventually record the audio there too, I don’t need to worry about sync’ing anything because it will be in sync !

Last thought, I used to use an AW4416 as my recorder so i have been through what you have been through - but having made the change, despite the amazing capabilities of the AW, I much prefer to work totally within Cubase. The results have been worth it.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 05:08 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You asked about how I slave my setup.

The Motif and the Tascam both connect to the laptop via USB. The Tascam uses USB strictly for file transfers. The Motif uses USB as a MIDI interface for Live and the Yamaha patch editors.

Meanwhile, the Tascam MIDI OUT is connected to the Motif MIDI IN. The Tascam controls the Motif sequencer start, stop and tempo.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ tuning
Next Topic:

Any Nord Electro 2 owners? ››