mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Workflow - ES + Mlan + PC + Cubase 4"

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 09:40 AM
Quincybeats
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-26-2009

Hey everybody,

I was wondering how i could improve my workflow using the ES and Mlan (with Cubase)....

I read various articles by Bad Mister and already recorded - quite a bit - using mlan, however i feel as if i’m still not benifiting from this nice technology.

I’d like to get some input on how to improve my workflow.

What do i really gain from mlan in scenario like this?

Since Mlan is all about digital, is there way to do without the analog L+R for listening purposes ?

Im running a Multiface II.
When i use mlan all my internal wav is coming out through the Es.
I feel like im losing gain since i have to lower the master fader on the es not to get any distortion.

In Mlan mode....i can easily transfer audio from the ES to my PC.
However,
should i switch back to my Rme after having recorded all my audio?

Im not arguing the audio quality of the ES, i just feel as if the sound is different , so when it comes to mixing does it make sense to switch back to my Rme ?

I really apreciate everybody dropping their 2 cents.
Especially Bad Mister /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 11:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Workflow - ES + Mlan + PC + Cubase 4

The question is not clear. I don’t know what you really want to know.

I can tell you that you cannot hear digital signal so yes, you always need to connect the L&R outputs of the Motif ES to your sound system.

Workflow is for you to work out for yourself. It can vary greatly depending on what you are doing. What mLAN affords you is the ability to work with MIDI and audio together. And use that to your advantage.

Please realize there is no one way to work. But for those working alone, the advantage of working up tracks as MIDI data first, is that the musical performance can be easily corrected and edited… You can work out ideas while recording MIDI data.

Then you can transfer (commit) the MIDI tracks to audio tracks… overdub acoustic instruments, vocals, etc., etc., etc it depends on your project.

If you work with a band, recording ‘live’, you can record the basic tracks using Cubase 4 as your audio recorder… you can either use the Clock in Cubase as a tempo reference (this makes it easy to add MIDI tracks later)… if you simply record without a metronome, you can build a MIDI tempo track later, then overdub MIDI tracks to your live playing.

There are as many ways to work as there are combination of notes to make a song… Without you giving us any idea what you are doing, it would be impossible to even begin to cover them all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 05:07 PM
Quincybeats
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-26-2009

basically i want to know how you guys incorporate mlan in your routine.
To me it still seems like a hassle or maybe i just have to get used to the concept of mlan.

Do you have the wdm driver set to 16 or 24 bit when recording?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 09:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t care where it is set if I am using Cubase (as I don’t use it). WDM is for Windows applications like the sound effects your computer makes when you plug in a USB drive or you empty the trash, or you log on to AOL and it says “You’ve got mail"… WDM is setup when you are in Windows and you go to Control Panels and SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES… Windows applications that require audio use this WDM… like Windows Media Player. So you can choose 16bit or 24 bit - your choice. Cubase is not concerned with this setting…

When you are using Cubase 4, you are using the ASIO mLAN setup within the Cubase application.

The mLAN becomes the soundcard for the computer… so some applications use the mLAN WDM driver… Cubase uses ASIO mLAN driver…

To me it still seems like a hassle or maybe i just have to get used to the concept of mlan.

Anything that has not become a necessity for your work method is a hassle… For some it quickly becomes a necessity. It depends on what you are doing.

In a music production situation where you are recording lots of instrument parts and tracks - and you feel your project will benefit from recording individual audio tracks for each part… so that you have the ability process and mix each part - that is when mLAN becomes a necessity.

The ability to record individual tracks for kick, snare, toms, etc. is not for everyone. But when you are ready mLAN offers so much flexibility. At first people see as a way to transfer MIDI tracks to audio tracks quickly (and you can do that) but I find with all the flexibility it gives, you wind up taking advantage of it.

In the Advanced Audio Setup tutorial - I give three examples of working with mLAN… I have a simple 5 PART sequence (I did in the Motif XS) I show how you can transfer it to Cubase as audio in the follow three scenarios:
1) a simple stereo mix of the 5 PARTS
2) recording 5 MIDI tracks to mono and stereo audio tracks
3) full blown individual output routing - separate kick, snare, hihats, toms, percussion, Bass, etc, etc.,

If you have to ask why some one would take individual outputs on every sound - then you are not ready for that yet. But when you are mLAN is there to get it done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 30, 2009 @ 09:46 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Quincybeats
I use C-Base SE3 (eagerly waiting for the shipping of C-Base 5) and I use mLan.
Presently, I do all of my recording “in” the ES (probably not likely to change. It’s comfortable). I then “transfer” the Song into C-Base. For “me”, I prefer to work with Drums on individual Tracks. I can address the Kick, the Snare etc on an individual basis to get the “sound” I want. Likewise pay attention to the other instruments in my line-up.

This was how I got familiar with mLan.I have since added an 01V96 to take advantage of some of the features there to add to what I can do with my tracks (the set up was a bear but now that I have it set up it’s pretty cool and offers more options).

You can search through this site and find so many different ways to work the combination of ES via mLan-PC-C4. The first thing you should consider is just “what” you want to do,from where you want it to originate and what you want to be able to do in the software. There is much you can do in the ES itself. There is even more you can do once in the software. The “hassle” you are experiencing is rooted in just a lack of understanding and planning of/in taking advantage of the technology. Once you “get it”,it is way too cool and convienient.

I’m just one user,but,as I said, if you go to the Steinberg section of the site and do some searching, you will find so many different approaches to the use of the technology.

Be patient and do check out “The Bad 1’s” User Guides on the subject. Then make a plan consistant with how you want to get things done (most comfortable for “you") and line up the technology accordingly. You just might amaze yourself.
Just a thought.....

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ sounds gone ...
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››