mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase Studio 4 causes my computer to restart"

Posted on: January 25, 2009 @ 11:48 AM
DaHizzle
Total Posts:  73
Joined  04-08-2007

I’m using cubase studio 4 version 4.5.2 with a yamaha motif es 6, and i’m running it on windows vista enabled gateway computer.

Ive noticed that recently, whenever I have cubase open, I would walk away from the computer for a little while, or even maybe be sitting in the same room, taking a break, and the computer just reboots, I lose my current work, and when the computer loads back it, it says it shut down unexpectedly, and asks if I want it to load in safemode.

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating.  Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2009 @ 02:24 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Cubase Studio 4 causes my computer to restart

Check your Power options settings for your computer. Most audio workstation software does not like the computer going to sleep or reducing CPU power while it is running. Your computer may actually fall below the minimum specification to run the software you have open. In which case security minded Vista may shut down… This is just a guess based on what you information you have provided.

If it does not happen while you are working but happens when you walk away (I’m pretty sure the computer and I’m definitely sure Cubase Studio) is unaware of the fact that you left the room or that you are still in the same room… so I’m assuming it is more an issue of if the computer is left idle for a specific amount of time your computer’s Power Option preferences may have it shutting down hardrives, monitors, and perhaps even CPU resources…

You want your computer to be “ALWAYS ON” while you have it open doing music.  There are several websites that have tips for how to prepare your computer for working with music data (ALWAYS ON) is a definite must - because music requires all your computers attention at all times!!!

Hope that is at least some help as to where to start looking. Perhaps some one will provide a link to that website with all the useful tips for preparing a computer for music… (I know of one for XP but not for Vista.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2009 @ 08:19 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: Cubase Studio 4 causes my computer to restart

So far, the best article I’ve seen re tweaking Vista for music computers appeared in the Nov. 08 issue of Sound on Sound magazine. If you are a subscriber, you can read and download the article...it’s written by Martin Walker (Tweaking Windows Vista for Music). If you are not a subscriber (I suggest that you give that idea serious consideration) perhaps you can find a copy of the magazine in a library or via a friend. It’s well worth a search. The article will eventually be released at the SOS web site for anyone to read, but that won’t be for awhile yet, and at present it’s only available to subscribers (at the web site).
Have you gone into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and looked at the logs to see if there are any messages indicating what failed causing your system to reboot, or warnings suggesting a possible cause?? Windows will give you the option to boot in Safe Mode any time you’ve had a serious crash, so that by itself tells you very little about what went wrong. Shut downs like that can be caused by everything from power supply problems to resources being exhausted, to faulty plug-ins or drivers to glitches in the RAM etc., and it is something that may be very difficult for forum members to diagnose for you without actually being in front of your computer. Folks can continue to suggest possible causes until eventually the one affecting you is found, but then again that just might not be the best approach. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= I suggest you start by ensuring that everything in your computer is indeed working without any problems, all drivers are sound, the computer is tweaked, no anti virus software is running and determine that this problem is occurring only in Cubase. If it is only in Cubase, then start watching your system resources carefully, and checking plug-ins to make sure none of them are causing the problem. The latter is a prime cause of problems like that sometime. Cubase Studio 4 itself is NOT causing your computer to restart. It’s something associated with the program or something to do with your computer. Cubase 4.5.x versions are stable on stable systems using stable drivers, plug-ins and hardware......................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Driver for the computer
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››