mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Setting Midi Rx Channels"

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 05:13 PM
chb4th
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-24-2009

I am wanting to trigger a drum loop and as well as some string pads etc., in Performance Mode with my Guitar Synth. Each string on the guitar triggers a different channel (3-8) for strings (1-6). Is it possible to set the Rx channels up this way in Performance Mode? If not, how can I accomplish this? I usually just use my guitar synth module, however, I saw noted guitarist Steve Oliver using a Yamaha Motif keyboard in his Guitar Synth productions and he got such great sounds, I thought I should use my Motif. Thanks in advance for you help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 09:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Setting Midi Rx Channels

Welcome to the forum…

You cannot do this in PERFORMANCE mode. Reason: Voice and Performance modes are, by definition, only a single MIDI channel.

You can do it by setting the Voices you want in PARTS of a SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup. The way the Motif-series work is they play on a single MIDI channel when you are playing a Voice in Voice mode, and a Performance is four Voices on the same MIDI channel

Song and Pattern mode have setups (called MIXING) that allows you to place up to 16 sounds on 16 separate MIDI channels (typically for use with the sequencer - but you can use them for play setups as well). ... or you can stack as many sounds as you want on each (of course there are only 16 so if you stack two sounds on the same MIDI channel only 14 PARTS remain).

But by default PARTS 3-8 will be set to receive on MIDI channels 3-8. You can STORE up to 64 SONG MIXING and 64 PATTERN MIXING setups in memory… and these must be backed up to an ALL data file. the Sequencer setups are volatile (means they will disappear when you power down)… but you can have them automatically load on power by creating an AUTO LOAD file.

Additionally when using the Motif ES as a tone engine for a Guitar Synth you will want to set each PART to mono mode. This can be done on a per PART basis.
Press [SONG] or [PATTERN]
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press a Track button [1]-[16] to select PART edit parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE - here you can select a sound for each Part
Press [SF2] MODE - here you can select MONO or POLY mode and set the MIDI Receive Channel for each PART… default is PART 1 = ch1, PART 2 = ch2, PART 3 = ch3, and so on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 12:39 PM
chb4th
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-24-2009

Hello Bad_Mister,

Just want to say thanks for the quick reply. Had to wait a few days to try your advice. Everything works perfectly. Currently I have the ARP on the drum track set to hold. I trigger the loop, perform my piece and when I am finished I step over to the Motif and hit the Arpegiator on/off button. I was wondering is it possible to turn off the drum loop at the end of my performance from the guitar synth? If not, is there some way of turning off the loop with a pedal so that I don’t have to be next to the keyboard during a performance.?

Thanks for your help,

chb4th

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 10:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can turn the ARP SWITCH ON/OFF with a Foot pedal…
Plug and FC4 or FC5 (momentary type) pedal into the Assignable Foot Switch jack on the back panel.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [F3] FT SW (Foot Switch)
FS = 96 ARP SW

Set to 96 ARP SWITCH, you step on the pedal to start, and later you can step on the switch to stop.

If however, you set the FS = 90, you can have the arp only when your foot is on the switch… when you release the pedal the arp stops… (can be useful but kind of marries you to the pedal).

(Your choice)
Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ will we ever see....
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››