mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New User (almost)"

Posted on: January 23, 2009 @ 06:43 PM
fatastrater
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-23-2009

Hello.

I’m on the verge of purchasing the MO6. (pausing for applause)

I’m buying this workstation, my first ever, to put together drums, strings, brass, piano, etc., afterwhich I would like to send the track(s) to a Tascam 2488mkII to finish up with guitar and vocals.

What I would like to find out is:

1) do I require any cabling other than a pair of analog L/R’s to make this happen?

2) it sounds like the MO6 requires external memory via usb cable. Would something like a Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card with Compact Card Reader be a suitable choice?

Are there any other basics that I should consider?

Obviously any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first rodeo.

Aaron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 05:28 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

Re: New User (almost)

The mo has a flash drive and an usb connection.

The usb connection is used as a midi interface with the computer.

The flash drive has several uses and is not “needed”.

Well I don’t ever use it.

Guess it would depend on what your doing. It can be a way to import/export midi files or configuration data.
Also way to save voice information and other configuration data.

A pair of audio cables is all you need to get recording.

I prefer a computer based system, so a computer interface and sequencing software like cubase, but some prefer a hardware recorder and the mo’s sequencer, but that’s another can of worms.

The mo fits into either solution.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
fatastrater
Joined  01-23-2009

Thanks for the insight. I guess I’ll buy the machine and see what happens without worrying about memory. I can always add it later. Appreciate it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 05:08 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

When you get your MO, the manual will explain what is stored in internal memory and what is stored in external memory (the usb flash drive). I would be sure I had a flash drive right away because I suspect you will at least want to save sequences right away, and they must be saved to external memory. And flash drives are so useful and cheap you can’t really go wrong (but- do buy a name brand, some “commodity” types are so cheaply made the connectors get damaged. It’s also good to get one with a light that lights when connected and flashes when it is reading or writing files). Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 12:57 AM
fatastrater
Joined  01-23-2009

Ahhh ... I thought this might be the case; external storage being a neccessity, that is.

Oh, and I should mention, I’ve decided against the MO6 in favor of the MO8, which I purchased via Musician’s Friend just a few short hours ago.

Given what it is that I’m trying to accomplish, is it possible that you could recommend a product to fit my bill? I don’t know what the machine can write to, in terms of the file structure that it prefers, size, etc.

This is really going to be quite an adventure. I’m terribly excited and frightened. I’ve played guitar for twenty years. I’d like to become semi-competent with the piano (why I opted for 88 keys) over the next five years or so.

I really need to find out what type of external USB memory is needed to go forward, though. Please, please be specific if you can be.

Thank you,

Aaron

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 12:17 PM
bertofkosmic
Joined  12-21-2008

Any USB stick will work fine. I use a 5yrs old 256mb and this works fine. Recommend to use a low capacity USB stick that you don’t need anymore for serious applications nowadays.

4gb or higher is really overkill for MO6 applications.

Finally, don’t worry about the USB memory. first go through the MO6 main functions yourselve and do the saving/storage at a later stage.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ measure empty
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››